Demo Teams

I sat static all weekend at the Fort Smith Air Show. Saw the T-Chickens put on their first show of the season. The one to see was the new F-15E demo team though. It was awesome! Almost as good as the people watching in northern Arkansas. Family trees look like telephone poles there. The A-10, F-4 and F-18F did great as well.

Guest wakebrdr142

It was a great airshow!! I was surprised at the turnout (aircraft & people). I really enjoyed the super hornet demo. Talked to the guys from the 188th and they were a good group of fellows!

[ 29. March 2006, 12:23: Message edited by: wakebrdr142 ]

Guest sleepy

Smithsonaian Air & Space Magazine of April/May '06 reports a fellow named Art Nalls is likely to hit the circuit soon in the first civilian-owned Harrier.

Guest twinkle toes

The best demo I saw was a Super Hornet flown in by the marines, but the corporation sent in their pilot to fly the airshow. The only thing keeping the jet in the air was the burner and where he had the nose pointed. I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing three flat spins from 3500 agl to 500 agl and selecting burner to 90 deg aoa. It would be a fun ride though with more "cusion" under you!

Oh yeah, this was at La Crosse, WI. We had a f-16 on static.

[ 03. April 2006, 11:51: Message edited by: twinkle toes ]

Originally posted by twinkle toes:

The best demo I saw was a Super Hornet flown in by the marines, but the corporation sent in their pilot to fly the airshow. The only thing keeping the jet in the air was the burner and where he had the nose pointed. I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing three flat spins from 3500 agl to 500 agl and selecting burner to 90 deg aoa. It would be a fun ride though with more "cusion" under you!

Oh yeah, this was at La Crosse, WI. We had a f-16 on static.

bsflag.gif

Guest SuperStallionIP
Originally posted by twinkle toes:

The best demo I saw was a Super Hornet flown in by the marines, but the corporation sent in their pilot to fly the airshow.

Marines don't have Super Hornets, just A, C, & D models.

Guest WildBill

I will be the first to say that the Super Hornet at Fort Smith was BY FAR the most outstanding performer of the day, over the Thunderbirds even...but I will say seeing F-16 after F-16 buzz by was pretty cool. You can't beat High Alpha 85 KIAS of the Super.

Guest twinkle toes
Originally posted by BigIron:

Marines don't have Super Hornets, just A, C, & D models.

Guest twinkle toes

I have seen an f-16 do it on a tv program too. It was aviation weeks:ultimate dog fighting. You can buy the dvd from amazon. In the special features, there is a f-16 demo flown at france with a genral dynamics pilot, with in cockpit footage and out of cockpit footage. If you care that much, buy the dvd and check it out. It is only like 12 bucks.

TT

I have that video as a 50MB file on my PC.

It's a Lockmart pilot demoing a Danish Viper at Le Bourget. He does not to do three *flat spins*. He does two loaded, maximum deflection rolls and recovers at just under 500' AGL. That's completely different from what you're saying.

Oh, and the Marines don't have the Super Bug. I am told by someone much wiser than me about such matters that that they're hanging on for the JSF. Could it have been that the Super Hornet demo pilot (Ricardo Whateverhisnameis) threw you with his desert flight suit?

Guest SuperStallionIP

There are Marine FRS instructors and test pilots who probably get the opportunity to log Super Hornet time when they get the chance so perhaps that is who was doing the demo.

Originally posted by BigIron:

There are Marine FRS instructors and test pilots who probably get the opportunity to log Super Hornet time when they get the chance so perhaps that is who was doing the demo.

Doubtful,

Would the USAF Viper Demo Team let a U.S. Navy exchange pilot fly at an airshow…

Guest twinkle toes
Originally posted by Steve Davies:

TT

I have that video as a 50MB file on my PC.

It's a Lockmart pilot demoing a Danish Viper at Le Bourget. He does not to do three *flat spins*. He does two loaded, maximum deflection rolls and recovers at just under 500' AGL. That's completely different from what you're saying.

My apoligies, he did exactly what the Lockheed pilot did. I have never heard of loaded deflection rolls. They look pretty cool though.

As far as the marines go, the test pilot just said the marines flew it in for him to fly. The plane wasn't parked near static, so I never saw if it said marines on it or not.

Guest twinkle toes

I did some research on the computer, and I could not find anywhere where it said usmc flies super hornets. I actually found one article that said they turned it down. Maybe if the pilot flies again this year at the airshow I can clarify. There is a f-18 demo, but that is all it says. It is father's day weekend so I will see.

The F-15 west coast demo team, and the west coast t-6 tex II demo team will be there. That will be interesting.

Guest SuperStallionIP
Originally posted by ClearedHot:

Hey dude,

I don't really know and don't really care. I was merely trying to throw in possible explanation of the whole Marine-in-a-Super-Hornet thing. I do know of Marine hornet drivers who are serving in billets where they have the opportunity to log Super Hornet time (China Lake, FRS instructor east or west coast, PAX River test pilots, etc.). I also know of Marine & Navy guys who as Top Gun instructors logged a fair amount of Viper time as aggressors out at Fallon. It could have been a possibility, but that does not mean it is reality. Relax. It's all goo

Hey "Dude"

You should have stopped at "I don't really know"

Of course Navy and marines logged Viper time, they used to have them, what is the big story?

Possible just like doing three flat spins and pulling out at 500'.

Relax?....Go choke yourself.

[ 04. April 2006, 21:28: Message edited by: ClearedHot ]

Guest WildBill

The Marine Corps does not have Rhino's, all we have are A/C/D models. I had heard somewhere, that the FRS has Rhino's, and even Marines who are inevitably going to be flying Legacy Hornets would still fly the Rhino in the FRS...but I'm too lazy to call and ask for verification.

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by WildBill:

The Marine Corps does not have Rhino's, all we have are A/C/D models. I had heard somewhere, that the FRS has Rhino's, and even Marines who are inevitably going to be flying Legacy Hornets would still fly the Rhino in the FRS...but I'm too lazy to call and ask for verification.

We're calling it the Rhino and not the Super Hornet? That's news to me.

Hoser

[ 05. April 2006, 20:31: Message edited by: Hoser ]