USAF crash at Lubbock

Since when?

It's an unwritten law of murphy that the more experience you get the more dangerous you become-- albeit insidiously...

The worst combo know to manned flight is the attached EP in town to log off beans flying all week with his ol'bud who happens to still be Chief of StanEval...

I've had a few good times with that...

Safest dude to fly with---

Co-Pig -- because no one trusts you...and you sure as hell don't trust your self.

Edited by jrobe

"I got it"

"No, I got it"

"No, I've got it!"

:bash:

Brings back a funny/sad memory of a Marine helicopter crash on Okinawa some years back (as related to me by the crewchief on the flight):

CH-46E doing an autorotation for post-maintenance check flight. At the bottom of the auto, passing when the flare should be initiated, the pilots look at each other.

HAC: You gonna pull?

H2P: Your controls.

HAC: I thought you had it?!

Both: OH SH*T!

*BOOM*CRUNCH*SCREECH*BANG*

Luckily, all 3 crewmembers walked away, and IIRC the helo was eventually pieced back together at the depot. A couple years later, the same HAC flew another -46 into the side of the boat while practicing a simulated single-engine approach... with one engine pulled back to idle (violating NATOPS procedures). Luckily again, everyone lived, and that flight turned out to be the HAC's last as a military pilot.

Back on topic:

Glad the pilots are OK. And I think I see a parts donor for the Tone fleet in those pics...

It's an unwritten law of murphy that the more experience you get the more dangerous you become-- albeit insidiously...

...as opposed to two inexperienced guys. If I were in the jumpseat on this particular T-1, I'd sure as hell want the two dudes in front to be IPs.

Edited by Berry

If you've ever been an IP and have flown with another, you know what I'm talking about. You'll let the other guy go further than you would a co-rocket. For example, you're both IP's and are getting vectors for an ILS in the weather. The controller give you shitty vectors and vectors you right to, or even just inside of, the FAF. The other IP is flying, so you let him continue the approach when you probably should of taken a few more turns back around to final. If you were with a co, without a doubt you would of taken a few additional turns back around.

You also don't run into the whole "I thought you got the fuel card" game after stopping at Chennault for lunch.

Good thing the guys are ok. What a great town to be stuck in for a couple days...that is unless they bus'd them to Dyess.

Guest Boom

+1

One of the scariest flights I flew on were two EP's both getting an ASEV checkride.

It's the same way in skydiving...the group that has a lot of experience is the one w/ the highest amount of fatalities. I guess you start pushing it b/c you think you have the skills/ability to do so.

Guest SquareGear
It's the same way in skydiving...the group that has a lot of experience is the one w/ the highest amount of fatalities. I guess you start pushing it b/c you think you have the skills/ability to do so.

So what you're saying is that the best route to good IPs would be to take kids out of Phase II let them instruct for a year or two before sending them down their way on Phase III? =) (Sarcasm intended...)

Edited by SquareGear