Popped ears

Guest F16crewdwgg

Guest F16crewdwgg

I was flying today and as I did my 45 deg turn I plugged up my ears. I didn't realize until I landed and took off my headset that I could barely hear anything. I do have some type of head cold, not a bad one.. It's prob allergies. Anyway I managed to pop my ears back to normal, one tends to plug back up.

Is there anything to do to prevent this.. any tricks? besides not flying. Also what are some tricks to popping your ears back to normal?

Thanks guys.

Mine were all screwed up for about 2 weeks after a trip to HI where I did some diving. To tell you the truth I just rode it out and it eventually cleared up. If you think it might be allergies, try taking some Benedryl and see if that helps; it's worked for me in the past.

Guest WildBill

You'll also notice that breathing 02 fromt he mask long enough you'll get what I think I was told is Nitrogen build up in your semicircular canals. You'll notice the next morning after you fly you'll wake up and it'll be painful to pop your ears. I noticed this in Tweets. Recently found out pressurizing your ears and blowing it out like 5-10 times after you fly fixes this. Just plug your nose and "reverse" valsalva by sucking in, then do a normal valsalva. Do this 5-10 times and you shouldn't get that ear pain the next day.

• 2 years later...

The only caveat to the valsalva maneuver is that if you do have a cold and perform the valsalva, some of the crap in the back of your throat can get into the Eustachian tube and cause other middle ear problems, like otitis media.

It's not that common for it to happen though, just FWIW.

Attempted to valsalva my ears clear but it definitely feels like I've got mucus or whatever caught in my eustachian tubes. Not painful at all and it doesn't affect my flying abilities, but my hearing is definitely at a < 75% level.

BL: Is it dangerous to fly with the clogged up (due to liquid) ears? Will it clear up on its own? I'd prefer not go to DNIF considering there's no discomfort on ascent or descent...

BL: Is it dangerous to fly with the clogged up (due to liquid) ears? Will it clear up on its own? I'd prefer not go to DNIF considering there's no discomfort on ascent or descent...

Yes, it is dangerous. Who knows, you willing to bet a sinus on if it does or not?

Discomfort is relative, and you know best your own circumstance. But 2 days off the schedule vs 6-9 times as long for a sinus to heal up.... You do the math. Who knows, you go to the doc, do a weekend DNIF and take allegra/afrin, whatever when you feel stopped up.

Do NOT fuck with your sinuses.

A bud of mine thought he had some minor sinus problems and tried to fly. No problem until he ruptured a sinus cavity on decent. Three months and some surgery later, he was back flying, but admits it was definitely not worth it.