C-17 Globemaster Q&A

scoobs

married. is base housing good or can anyone recommend good off base rental options?

There are millions of options off base. Commute away from Seattle and you're pretty much set. Depends on what you want.

There are millions of options off base. Commute away from Seattle and you're pretty much set. Depends on what you want.

I'm really just looking for a nicer/newer/safe area to live in (that 1LT BAH can cover) that is within a reasonable commute to the base...

• 1 month later...

Been noticing that a fair amount of T-38 studs in the last couple of classes that got C-17s are mostly going to Charleston/McChord more than any other base (however T-1 studs seem to be spread out more evenly amongst the bases)...any idea as to why that could be? Just purely an observation...

Been noticing that a fair amount of T-38 studs in the last couple of classes that got C-17s are mostly going to Charleston/McChord more than any other base (however T-1 studs seem to be spread out more evenly amongst the bases)...any idea as to why that could be? Just purely an observation...

My guess would be that CHS/TCM are the only CONUS airdrop bases. No promise of airdrop for a new FPQ, but the opportunity is there.

Squadron size varies, according to aircraft assigned. Just a few data points from public fact sheets:

55 at Charleston

48 at McChord

16 at McGuire

8 at Hickam

So, 6 times more like to go to McChord than Hickam, until you look at manning and tour length.

That seems really high unless they're counting the WIC jets which actually belong to McChord.

As it pertains to the distribution of PIQ's... nada

But for you, this is a public fact sheet that claims 16 assigned. BTW Dover claims 13 when I googled it. Not too far off.

There's about a 50% chance of being assigned to CHS/TCM.

Edited by addict

Originally 8 at Elmo too, IIRC. There is another on order (P-223) to bring PAED back up to 8. Maybe the ochos are a PACAF thing.

TCM has 4 active squadrons - the 4th, 7th 8th, and 10th. Three reserves. CHS also has the SOCOM support tasking but I'm not sure if that is what makes their assigned iron numbers so much higher.

Those aircraft assigned numbers are always in flux; besides the usual tailswaps between bases there's airplanes that get peeled away for whatever reason; for example the 8 aircraft to Elmo all came from McChord's fleet (I used to work on a number of them). I know that skewed TCM's manning figures for a while, but I think with the higher production allocations some of the new-build aircraft have been slotted to replace the lost 8 at TCM and the manning would be back to normal. I have no idea on the timeframe of that, might have already happened, who knows.

That is more in line with what I expected. The single squadron bases typically started off with 12 or 13 but may have gained some along the way. Not sure why Hickam is an outlier on the low side.

3 Jets (198, 199, 200) are extra jets that are at McGuire until they go somewhere else. They were some of the aircraft that congress bought that the AF did not request. The plan (at least when they arrived) was to push them off to one of the ANG/AFRC units that were in the works.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nationalm...sp?id=123299279

T-1 (first C-17) immortalized in Dayton... we almost made it to retiring one before we lost one, an incredible record. Here's to the good folks that made it happen, and those we've lost along the way :beer:

Agreed. One hull loss and another near loss. Pretty impressive for over 20 years of rugged service. Prost!

Yup....Its true, you'll never be home..But, for living arrangements, if you are single downtown tacoma aint bad. If u want to brave traffic and do the drive, check out seattle...most everyone would want to live there but a vocal minority actually live there and try to convince everyone else the drive is worth it...I lived i tacoma for my entire tour and was perfectly happy there. If u are married you will prolly live in puyallup, dupont or lacey...good luck...plane is sweet but the lifestyle will probably make you volunteer for a UAV after a few years

• 6 months later...

Any updates on -17 manning, flying hours for new guys, AMC/PACAF gripes, etc? If you were a young, single type hoping to go 17s in the next month or two, which base would be at the top of your list?

According to AFPC, we are overmanned. Most first tour guys at the big bases these days are min turning the C-17 (2.5-3 years). A quick upgrade to AC and off to a UAV or MC-12, never to return. The other option is back to flying T-6s. That could change in a couple years, but it's the current reality. I can't speak for the the PACAF crowd. The mission makes it worth the risk, it's a great jet. I'd still roll the dice and go for a C-17.