How have you handled uniform Nazis?

Guest C-130

I have been hearing some frustrating stories of uniform Nazis on a separate thread. I have seen some circumstances and instances (someone correcting another on isues such as these) come close to getting out of hand (fights, verbal arguements, etc). Honestly, the issue is this...at some point someone who has had enough (missing family, long works days, stress) is just going to snap and flip out. No one wants this.

Post some good examples of how to handle uniform Nazis and rules which hinder aircrew flow, etc. What has worked in the past, what can be done? Let's spread the word.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post some good examples of how to handle uniform Nazis and rules which hinder aircrew flow, etc. What has worked in the past, what can be done? Let's spread the word.

Choke the shit out of em then run like hell!

Edited by bomber1

Guest mjk5401

I think it all depends on if it is Officer saying something to an Enlisted OR Enlisted reminding an Officer OR same rank on same rank.

Either way though, the easiest way to deal with it is to say, "Thank you for reminding me. Sorry about that Sir/Ma'am" and walk away. If it's something fixable, fix it. If it's something gay like, reflective belt or shoe lace untied, remember next time. Bottom line is, if you look some what professional, you shouldn't really have a problem....unless it's something gay (see above).

Choking and running works if it's someone on your crew. Crash ax works better though!

Uniform nazis usually have no idea what the reg that they are trying to enforce actually says. Most of them just heard it from their first sergeant or read something about in the desert penguin. A simple "Where is that written?" is usually a killer.

Whenever a nazi confronts you, look over their uniform as well. Chances are they are also out of regs.

HD

Whenever a nazi confronts you, look over their uniform as well.

In my experience, it's usually a SNCO...MSgt or SMSgt (rarely a chief) and since I outrank them I thank them for their input without actually making the change. If you outrank them and they are unprofessional in how they address you, you have the option of correcting them on their military customs and courtesies. No problem. Just don't go off on them and act like the bigger asshole...

Guest F16crewdwgg
I have been hearing some frustrating stories of uniform Nazis on a separate thread. I have seen some circumstances and instances (someone correcting another on isues such as these) come close to getting out of hand (fights, verbal arguements, etc). Honestly, the issue is this...at some point someone who has had enough (missing family, long works days, stress) is just going to snap and flip out. No one wants this.

Just act like you care.. then go work on your aircraft. We would spend all day in the AZ desert through flighting the jet or BPO'ing it. So your going to get dirty and scuff your boots. If some pretty boy who spends their day behind a desk has the nerve to say something, especially when you are part of aircrew ( which I assume you get dirty) then just def do the ol', "Ok sir, sorry I will go home and get right on it." Then go on about your business. It saves the drama and everybody is happy.. If its first thing in the morning before you stepped foot on the flight line, then yes you should be looking sharp clean cut and creases. It's Pride.

Back before the PT gear got issued and the rule was something like "solid color,conservatve civilian shorts and t-shirt...blah, blah" (in the AOR). The word around the Died was that you couldn't have pockets on the side of your shorts or something like that (no cargo shorts). One of the flyers from one of the other 130 deployed with us (not sure if he was a P or Nav) wore his cargo shorts all the time. He also carried a copy of the reg with him at all times and the reg said nothing about pockets. He said it made his day to ask the Nazi "where is that written". When they would start quoting regs he would say "Oh, really (as he pulled the reg out of his pocket). That's not what it says at all.."

As stated before, most of these a-holes are just going on what some other a-hole has told them.

Which begs the question...is the white sock/short sock actually written anywhere?

And granted, I ask the question instead of looking it up, but ultimately it's such a silly issue to begin with.

If the base appointed first shirt (or representative) walks over and I do have my sunglasses on my head in the chow hall...

then I suppose it IS his job to tell me that I'm not in regs...but he'd better know the reg to back it up.

It's all so f'n :rainbow:

Wouldn't it make a great Bud Light Real Men of Genius Commerical though?

Similar to the Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy...you could have Mr Uniform Correcting Shoe Clerk Guy

http://www.prettyclip.com/play.php?video_i...I&video=Bud Light Real Men of Genius Mr. Discount Airline Pilot Guy

But I digress...

I looked it up...unfortunately it is in writing...complete bullshit IMHO but it is in the reg. :flipoff:

AFI36-2903 2 AUGUST 2006

Chapter 3.2

3.2.9. Socks. White socks may be worn with boots. During exercises and contingencies, wear black

socks, or black socks over the white socks to preclude white socks from showing. Socks should be

made of cotton or wool.

I can see how people wearing BDUs could have their white socks show, with the blousing and all...but for fliers, that's completely stupid as the flight suit goes down right on top of the boots. You'd never see my socks, ever ever ever.

While it's in 36-2903, some common sense and discretion on the enforcer would be appreciated - clearly that's more of a BDU reg than a flight suit reg.

I can see how people wearing BDUs could have their white socks show, with the blousing and all...but for fliers, that's completely stupid as the flight suit goes down right on top of the boots. You'd never see my socks, ever ever ever.

While it's in 36-2903, some common sense and discretion on the enforcer would be appreciated - clearly that's more of a BDU reg than a flight suit reg.

Actually 3.2 is the flight suit section of the reg. But I agree... it is complete stupidity, make me wear black socks so no one can see me but then make me wear a FVCKING reflective belt so everyone can see me, what perfect military logic.

Humps

I spent 4 years in a military training environment that required strict uniform standards. Tailored BDUs and Blues, high-n-tight haircuts, shoe taps…the whole nine yards. I enjoyed it at first. Hell, it was part of the job. But as time went by I started to absolutely hate the uniform nazis I worked with. And I mean everybody was a uniform nazi. I’m not talking about just pointing out the big stuff. They would hammer down on the little shit. Like, Sgt Suchnsuch your belt tip exceeds 2” past your buckle. Sgt Suchnsuch your maintenance badge is more then a ½” above your ribbons. Sgt Suchnsuch did you get your weekly haircut? By the end of my tour I was ready to kick somebody’s nads.

Since this kind of relates to the topic, what do future UPT studs wear while on casual?

Not really seeing the correlation there.... but to answer your question it depends. If you are in a flying squadron or anywhere in the OG you will probably wear a flight suit. If you get royally screwed and end up outside the OG you will probably be in BDU's... but that will be the least of your worries :thumbsup:

Not really seeing the correlation there.... but to answer your question it depends. If you are in a flying squadron or anywhere in the OG you will probably wear a flight suit. If you get royally screwed and end up outside the OG you will probably be in BDU's... but that will be the least of your worries :thumbsup:

I figured it'd be better to ask here than start a new thread. Since the topic was flight suit regs, I was curious if I'd be wearing one while on casual before UPT. Thanks for the replies.

Guest Hot Carl

Whenever the uniform Nazis confront me...It works to say "tell someone who gives a sh*t", it seems to work, but i'm in the guard and I could give a shit.

Since this kind of relates to the topic, what do future UPT studs wear while on casual?

At PCola casual for navs is in blues since the Navy doesn't have BDUs for most people and doesn't issue flight suits until after API academics. I'll ask some of the pilots tomorrow if they do the same thing for casual at Whiting but I think it is blues as well.

Guest Flyin' AF Hawaiian

The rule tends to be that casual dudes who are assigned to AETC bases wear BDUs, all other MAJCOMs allow flight suits.

As for uniform nazi avoidance, I've also found that the "Noted" response works well.

The rule tends to be that casual dudes who are assigned to AETC bases wear BDUs, all other MAJCOMs allow flight suits.

It depends. Casuals wearing bags in an operational squadron or ops group goes without saying.

In the AETC world, casuals at UPT bases usually don't wear bags. But I would say it's more likely if you're casual at a non-UPT base.

HD

Casual at UPT bases: Depends. I've got a buddy who actually got a job at the IFF squadron here, and he's one of the few who gets to wear a flight suit. All the rest of us: I show up in PT gear on Mon, Wed, and Fri, PT for 2 hours, then go home. We don't have to show up on Tue and Thu.

At AETC bases: A buddy who started class today was at Altus before. They got to wear flightsuits ONLY after completeing IFS (I guess the reg says something about "completeing a formal flying training program").

Everywhere else: Flightsuits as soon as you can get your nametags and rank sewn on.

First, try your best to make sure your crap is squared away (it is the military afterall).

If they call you out for something visible, a simple "Thanks for the input sergeant" (essentially "noted") and continue.

If some enlisted guy asks me to show him my socks, my response will be "No thank you sergeant" and I'll go about my business. Why the heck are officers agreeing to show these guys their socks anyways? Are they saying "Colonel Soandso told me to check everyones' socks"? I sure hope even a 2ndLt wouldn't let these guys bully them around without a good reason.

And if they're disrespectful about it - all bets are off, the sergeant and I will be having a chat in private about military customs and courtesies.