Deid Accomodations

I just passed through. So far, the BX, gym, and chow hall (breakfast only) are open. No one seemed to be living in the dorms, but they all looked pretty close to complete. All they need now is a real pax terminal...

The 8th has been working on this for awhile, but since it's a tenet unit (AMC) they have a hard time getting the funding and approval from the wing.

Pretty sure my B-1 bros are in the new dorms. Supposedly a significant upgrade from CC; 'course that doesn't take much.

They are in the dorms. Had nothing to do with the OG being a B-1 driver either.

They are in the dorms. Had nothing to do with the OG being a B-1 driver either.

That may have helped. :aviator:

It could also be that since they are there for a six month, none AEF cycle deployment for the second time in the last 12 months (6 on, 12 off) and they will be replaced by more B-1 guys who will be there on a six month rotation for the forseeable future, they decided to give them a break and make it a little more liveable.

That may have helped. :aviator:

It could also be that since they are there for a six month, none AEF cycle deployment for the second time in the last 12 months (6 on, 12 off) and they will be replaced by more B-1 guys who will be there on a six month rotation for the forseeable future, they decided to give them a break and make it a little more liveable.

That sucks.

Welcome to the non-AEF cycle that many -130's have been on for the last 3-4 years now. 4 on, 4 off, If you're lucky. 12 off would be nice. (sts)

Being put up in BPC is on a timer sevrved basis. 365 guys go in first and so on down the line. Supposedly they're building more but you know how Qatari construction goes. Supposedly as people move over to BPC, CC will spread out. Word is E-5 and above eventually will have their own rooms (Like everything else they tell us out here....we'll see). I'm back for the 8th time now and it's even diffrent than it was two months ago when I left. Lots of construction. A lot of stuff has moved over to BPC, no biggy just one more bus ride. It's mid 90's and dusty if anyone is out here PM me and we'll grab one of our three drinks.

Cooter

They actually have chew on a regular basis now. It's all over at the BPC BX but that's just a short Bus ride. Look me up (PM me for my room #) when you get out here. The bros and I have a grill and have been grilling out. Getting some Omaha Steak burgers flown in from the states soon. It's starting to get warm (although the rookies think it's hot already) and the new caddy's may be done in 6 months or so (go TCN labor force!). I have to say for the Deid hings are prety good. Just beware the flight kitchen, airmen (and I use that term loosely) don't like aircrew barging in there ahead of the line to ge their food. See you in the Deid.

Cooter

• 2 months later...
Guest Fogo

I've been keeping up with this thread for a while now as I'm Deid bound soon. I did come up with one question I haven't read about on here... may or may not fall under the title of the thread, unless of course I don't like the answer.

Whats the situation for catching games from state side? I'm a fan of a certain baseball team who may or may not have won a world series in the last 100 years, and it figures they have a shot of making it when I'll be over there... Then after that depressing thought; I was reminded that it'll be the heat of college football season.

Do I have a hope in the world to catch anything when I'm not in the air? I know AFN carries stuff, but wasn't sure how much. Also (and this one relates to all the computer issues) is there any chance of getting those internet packages to hear sports broadcasts to work? Or is all that stuff blocked too?

Whats the situation for catching games from state side?

Its been a while, but I recall the Deid having pretty much all the available AFN commercials. As far as what you'll see, it's nowhere near what you'd get stateside, but you'll see the most popular stuff. AFN Sports will hit the major events (Wimbledon had been on for the last couple days, Sox and Yankees were on this morning), AFN xtra usually has some events and you'll occasionally get stuff on AFN prime and AFN spectrum. If you want to get an idea of what they show versus what's on stateside, you can check here - AFN schedule.

Unknown what the current internet status is for catching the games.

I usually just read these posts and laugh, but as a fellow sports addict, I must assist you. I am a college football fan, and last October, (thankfully I was only there for one week of it) AFN basically (by my standards) dropped college football off the map and showed sooooo much baseball it made me sick. The NFL over there is sweet. They show the NFL network 4 games at once and cut back and forth between them. For college, they show every big game and on slow sports weekends with no race, baseball, or other big things they show a bunch of little ones. I got to see 3 of 5 Florida games and all the Notre Dame ones. I got to see more Pac 10 there than I did here. My roommate was a baseball fan, Cubs actually, and he was never unhappy. In summary, if you are a married guy, you will watch more and better sports deployed. If you are a single guy, you will miss your 2 big screens, HD, surround sound, and BW3's, but you will still be happy. And you will collect combat pay after buying photos of you dressed up in combat gear with your eagle cash card after getting dressed down by a Chief for having your sleeves rolled up and zipper too low. Enjoy!

Guest Yoda

Add on to the Sports topic:

You will get a ton of NFL/College football but they will drop college football in favor of MLB playoff coverage. One good thing about that is that you will get MLB action during the week. If you work a nightshift schedule you can pretty much watch sports all night (PTI to Sportscenter to games)

If you are doing fantasy: there is good news and bad news (just from my experience there)

1) you can check your league and you can update your rosters, that's the good news

2) you cannot draft live, at least I was unable to for the NBA. You can pre-rank all your players and make your team and join a league. Just can't do the live draft. Think it is a java thing, that's the bad news.

Far as streaming. Again, from my experience you couldn't stream audio or video from the main sites (ESPN/Yahoo/SI) but you can pull up that little gametracker thing.

Guest Fogo
Add on to the Sports topic:

You will get a ton of NFL/College football but they will drop college football in favor of MLB playoff coverage. One good thing about that is that you will get MLB action during the week. If you work a nightshift schedule you can pretty much watch sports all night (PTI to Sportscenter to games)

If you are doing fantasy: there is good news and bad news (just from my experience there)

1) you can check your league and you can update your rosters, that's the good news

2) you cannot draft live, at least I was unable to for the NBA. You can pre-rank all your players and make your team and join a league. Just can't do the live draft. Think it is a java thing, that's the bad news.

Far as streaming. Again, from my experience you couldn't stream audio or video from the main sites (ESPN/Yahoo/SI) but you can pull up that little gametracker thing.

Read my mind Yoda on the fantasy sports issue. I guess if I get the league draft taken care of for football before I go; I'll be good to go.

Well, I guess if I can get a lot of games, fantasy sports and the gametracker, I can't complain too much about no live streaming. It is a "war" after all.

Guest Yoda
Well, I guess if I can get a lot of games, fantasy sports and the gametracker, I can't complain too much about no live streaming. It is a "war" after all.

No problem on the fantasy thing. One more point on that; I believe you can be a mngr and put players on teams. I know some guys in my shop last yr had their own league. So you may be able to have a draft and then create a league and add players in.

It won't feel like a "war" at the deed. Maybe a war of common sense versus stupidity. BTW: that line "a war after all" is getting alot of play. Maybe it is the new phrase. In my days at the deed everyone in their brother wanted to tell everyone: "IT COULD BE WORSE". yeah, thanks. that got old real quick.

I'm at the deid now and C17s aren't getting out of CC anytime soon. However most everyone has their own room now. The wifi is supposed to be online july 15 but i'm not holding my breath. I think the war will be over first.

Some tanker guys there told me the WiFi is going to be only at the Bra and there won't be any plugins installed outside. So it's charge up your battery, go to the bra and use WiFi, then wait till your battery dies.

Some tanker guys there told me the WiFi is going to be only at the Bra and there won't be any plugins installed outside. So it's charge up your battery, go to the bra and use WiFi, then wait till your battery dies.

...or you could bring a shitload of extension cords with you

Guest Sebastian

Saw this message today:

AUAB,

I know there has been a lot of talk about commercial wireless these past few months. We, at the Comm Squadron have finished our part in setting this up. We are currently waiting on the host nation to do their part to get it up and running. They are unpredictable in their scheduling, that is why we cannot tell you the initation date. So, that being said... all the rumors you are hearing about wireless being up and running right now are false.

The Comm Squadron will ensure the base is aware when this service is available. Please bare with us. Again, we are at the mercy of the host nation. Thank you.

//SIGNED//

XXXXX

Deputy CC, Information Systems Flight

379th Expeditionary Communications Sq

-----------------------------------------

There is a network signal you can connect to at the bra and around the CC but no the internet doesn't work

• 3 weeks later...

Not dumbness; but Deid related and didn't think I needed to create a whole new topic.

Getting ready to do the first gig there soon and wondering what the phone situation is. The wife is not going to be back around home station, so calling DSN back to the base for a local call does me no good. If you have an international calling card, do you just punch that info in and go?

If anyone has something that worked well for them, I'd appreciate the insight. Thanks guys.

Call someone else's home station. There used to be a sheet by the phones there with worldwide DSN operators, or go to the website (I think it's a DISA .mil site, check with your base operator) to get the DSN of the closest military DSN operator.

Or, just call home station and have them put you through to your long distance calling card 1-800 number. I used to have Offutt put me through to the ATT operator when my wife was home with her folks or if I wanted to say hi to Mom and Dad, and it was all automatic from there. It would show up on my bill from Omaha to wherever. I would think a domestic long distance call would be cheaper than an international call, but who the hell knows.

With Cingular (ATT), you can also pay $5 and get the international plan on your cell. I rarely used it to talk, I always used the morale phone, but you can send a quick text whenever, which is kinda cool, as long as you don't go crazy it won't cost you more than a few bucks. It's nice for the "Made it in OK, I'll call you tomorrow" message.

Maybe it was the years of waiting in line for the phone at PSAB that makes me appreciate the ability to text message.

Not sure what the computer situation is there but you could try Skype or one of the other VoIP programs. Then it's free if it's computer to computer call and only 2 cents a minute if it's computer to land line. You will need a microphone/headset on each end. You can even do video conferencing for almost as cheap if you both get web cams.

as far as the phone situation...my AC and a few other guys have phones in their rooms....talk for 15 minutes, hang up, repeat....the number I use with my AT&T calling card is DSN 809-463-3376, you then get a dial tone and then dial your AT&T 1800 number....it basically charges your card as if the call was originating in Virginia....works like a champ