ATC call sign questions

Guest ruckerstud

We just fly with whatever the hell we want (boss approved of course). Sure you can be official, but as long as you don't use something outrageous, the chances of someone saying something are nil. When baseops gets the flight plan, they're just going to put whatever they see in the system.

Until two aircraft file with the same flight name/number in the system at the same time. Many units use a <callsign> <day of week><sortie of the day> system such as CHILL 51 (the first aircraft sortie on Friday). If someone else uses the same callsign, this could cause problems with ATC and if you take one that is already being used properly, expect the wing king to hear about it.

Until two aircraft file with the same flight name/number in the system at the same time.

That's why you use that extra brain cell and don't schedule flights with the same name and/or number. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Now maybe that's a different ballgame in the heavy world, but it's a simple game in the fighter world.

• Upvote 1

That's why you use that extra brain cell and don't schedule flights with the same name and/or number. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Now maybe that's a different ballgame in the heavy world, but it's a simple game in the fighter world.

You can use all the brain cells you want, but if a bomber squadron at Dyess is using the same call sign as your tanker squadron in Iowa, there will be a problem. That is the whole point of a 'master list' of approved callsigns...to avoid that type of situation.

Guest Crew Report

Until a fighter squadron uses a classified callsign that a tanker wing used and they were forced to change it.

Edited by Crew Report

Brabus, dude, you're killing me.

Aren't you a friggin wingman?!? You have no standing to speak for "the fighter world." You need to act like a good wingman sometimes and STFU, especially when you have no idea what you're talking about as in this case.

Edited by Danny Noonin
  • Upvote 4

Brabus, dude, you're killing me.

Aren't you're a friggin wingman?!? You have no standing to speak for "the fighter world." You need to act like a good wingman sometimes and STFU, especially when you have no idea what you're talking about as in this case.

ohsnapflowchart.jpg

• Upvote 3

if a bomber squadron at Dyess is using the same call sign as your tanker squadron in Iowa, there will be a problem. That is the whole point of a 'master list' of approved callsigns...to avoid that type of situation.

That makes sense. I guess I was only thinking about flying in the local area like we do most of the time, but obviously other airframes out there fly a lot further than 100 mi from base on a regular basis.

You need to act like a good wingman sometimes and STFU, especially when you have no idea what you're talking about as in this case.

Alright alright, I was simply speaking from a scheduling perspective (that only applies at Base X). I am wrong and turns out we are the only ones who do that...bad assumption on my part. Back to my corner.

Magnet - Now that shit's funny!

Contrail - EAD :beer:

Edited by brabus
  • Downvote 1