Permanent DNIF

Guest NoGoodName

Guest NoGoodName

Hey guys,

I've been diagnosed with a pretty f$%ked up back and there is a good chance I will be permanently DNIF'd for it. Although I would love to get out via VSP or Palace Chace, it does not appear to be an option at this time.

So, I pose this question, is it possible for me to cross flow into another AFSC, say Acquisitions Management (63A) to finish out my 10 year ADSC?

Thanks for the help...

Hey guys,

I've been diagnosed with a pretty f$%ked up back and there is a good chance I will be permanently DNIF'd for it. Although I would love to get out via VSP or Palace Chace, it does not appear to be an option at this time.

So, I pose this question, is it possible for me to cross flow into another AFSC, say Acquisitions Management (63A) to finish out my 10 year ADSC?

Thanks for the help...

I've known a few guys who cross flowed into fields that interested them due to similar situations, generally into stuff they wanted to. In the meantime I'm sure you've figured out that being the permanently DNIF dude in a flying squadron will open you up to all sorts of "opportunities" you never knew existed.

But long term, if you can't fly, and they won't let you out, you'll have to change AFSC. If you have a plan, and it sounds like you do, be proactive so that once it comes up you'll be ahead of the game.

Good luck.

Guest NoGoodName
Sounds like a major opportunity to me.

Whatever physical ailments you might have, I hope you're at least able to make your way around pain free.

As a rated pilot (I assume you are/were a pilot), you are considered a "universal manager." That will serve you well and give you an automatic credibility and cool factor no matter what you do. You will be just like Harmon Rabb, and will probably even get a better chance to hook up with a hot officer.

Here is what I would recommend:

ALO/AMLO (depending on what you flew)---to stay in the CAF, use your pilot expertise, and fill a rated position with lots of leadership potential.

Acquisitions---get us the equipment we really need. I'd much rather have a pilot with operational experience buying for us, than some goober who doesn't know jack about planes. Plus, this would set you up well for a civilian job.

Thanks guys for the words. I currently have my MBA, and I think I would much enjoy buying the stuff we fly with if I can't fly it myself. I'm just wondering who would have the final word on this? If they do end up permanently DNIF'ing me, I just don't want to sit around the base for years waiting on my eventual fate. Would like to make it quick and painless and be on my way.

Guest awfltdoc
Thanks guys for the words. I currently have my MBA, and I think I would much enjoy buying the stuff we fly with if I can't fly it myself. I'm just wondering who would have the final word on this? If they do end up permanently DNIF'ing me, I just don't want to sit around the base for years waiting on my eventual fate. Would like to make it quick and painless and be on my way.

My experience with this has been that the flying sqn CC/OG/WG CC have some input as to your eventual fate and AFPC will be involved.

If you are permanently disqualified from all forms of flying, ie non ejection seat, and everyones favorite UAV then a decision from the flight doc as to whether you'll need to undergo a medical evaluation board (it depends, you might not need a MEB). This board will determine weather you can stay in the military or be medically retired. If the board finds that you are healthy enough to stay in the military then AFPC will be involved with the wing leadership to get you crosstrained. Since you have some time commitment left, they (being the people who have the final word) will want the disqualification documented before a decision is made.

Good luck

You need to talk to your flight doc to get a prognosis. And I realize it's nearly impossible to get a firm answer from a doc, shoot for percentages if nothing else.

Armed with that, sit down with your CC and go from there. The one good friend I had that went through this spent about a year fighting his way through the med stuff before heading off to a new AFSC.

Once med folks decide it's an "indefinite" DNIF, you can start moving.

Good luck

What did you fly? One of our guys can't fly any more due to his back; he PCS'd to Fort Sill and got an AGR job teaching at the new JFO/JTAC schoolhouse. Maybe there's something similar somewhere. Or maybe you could join a Guard /Reserve unit to fulfill your commitment...

Guest awalkertx
What did you fly? One of our guys can't fly any more due to his back; he PCS'd to Fort Sill and got an AGR job teaching at the new JFO/JTAC schoolhouse. Maybe there's something similar somewhere. Or maybe you could join a Guard /Reserve unit to fulfill your commitment...

have you tried finding the careerfield manager at randolph? i'm an ex 64P... like us, there's probably a small office of folks for the 63As that handles all assignments etc. find and call them - see if they give any guidance. good opr's and the right "in" can almost always get you the job. (that is only if AFPC doesn't get in the way of course).

I got busted up once-upon-a-time and was supposedly permanently DNIF. You can either keep your AFSC and get a staff job or do what they call "re-core". That means you get a new AFSC. I was re-cored, and then they sent me to get a master's degree. As soon as I was done, I got a flight doc to get me a waiver and then started flying again. Don't waiste time with your CC or any local dudes. The person who makes the call is the Chief of Rated Assignments at AFPC. I went to see the guy in person, and he signed my paperwork on the spot.

I'd think real hard about the aquisition deal. If you think you're going to be out buying equipment, think again. All you'll be doing is managing contracts. If you're a nerd, you'll think it's awesome. If you're a regular dude, you'll want to kill yourself.

If you want to get out and do something interesting with your MBA, then do it. I'd ignore all the crap about how you can't get out right now. I was told I couldn't Palace Chase because of the shortages and stuff & then did it anyway.

Good luck.

Edited by skibum

We've got a former Buff Nav at my base who cracked is tail-bone when a pilot landed too hard (I'm not kidding). He's permanently DNIF, but is a mission planner now. Down side: He's retireing as a 20-year Capt in a few months.

For the record...it was a copilot landing :bash:

Guest NoGoodName
I got busted up once-upon-a-time and was supposedly permanently DNIF. You can either keep your AFSC and get a staff job or do what they call "re-core". That means you get a new AFSC. I was re-cored, and then they sent me to get a master's degree. As soon as I was done, I got a flight doc to get me a waiver and then started flying again. Don't waiste time with your CC or any local dudes. The person who makes the call is the Chief of Rated Assignments at AFPC. I went to see the guy in person, and he signed my paperwork on the spot.

I'd think real hard about the aquisition deal. If you think you're going to be out buying equipment, think again. All you'll be doing is managing contracts. If you're a nerd, you'll think it's awesome. If you're a regular dude, you'll want to kill yourself.

If you want to get out and do something interesting with your MBA, then do it. I'd ignore all the crap about how you can't get out right now. I was told I couldn't Palace Chase because of the shortages and stuff & then did it anyway.

Good luck.

Awesome, thanks again for the help guys. I've been thinking long and hard about this decision and hopefully some of these stories and pointers will come in handy.

NGN