AC-130 Gunship info

I have a random question about the AC-130 gunship. I'd search but I'm lazy and I want you guys to do all the work for me (before I get destroyed on here, that was a joke :thumbsup: ) I searched but I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. I know they're considered special ops am I correct? How would you select them if you wanted to fly them? Just select Herks and hope you get the AC-130 or select special ops aviation and go from there? I'm not anywhere close to selecting, I was just more curious than anything. Thanks for the help.

I have a random question about the AC-130 gunship. I'd search but I'm lazy and I want you guys to do all the work for me (before I get destroyed on here, that was a joke :thumbsup: ) I searched but I couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. I know they're considered special ops am I correct? How would you select them if you wanted to fly them? Just select Herks and hope you get the AC-130 or select special ops aviation and go from there? I'm not anywhere close to selecting, I was just more curious than anything. Thanks for the help.

It's been a while since I went through UPT. AC-130's are spec ops. You would select T-44s out of Primary UPT and go to Corpus (there are still a few Herks that drop out of USAF UPT bases, but not many and not sure if they have dropped an AC ever). When you get to Corpus, pray to the assignment gods that an AC-130 will be in your drop and that you will be high enough in the class rankings to be able to select it. If you finish first in the class, you get your pick of whatever is in your drop. If no AC is in your drop then you still get to pick first and you chalk it up to the "needs of the AF". You don't select "special ops aviation".

Driver pretty much covered it.

If you want to go to AFSOC herks, you have to track to T-44s. Herks drops in the T-1 pipeline are few and far between. Not to mention I have only once heard of an AFSOC bird dropping in T-1s and it wasn't a gunpig.

T-44s will guarantee you herks. After that it's up to the needs of the AF. Some classes have a boat load of AFSOC birds and some have none. Generally you will see one gunpig per class. With the ramp up going on in the AFSOC world, it may improve your chances. If one doesn't get dropped, no big deal. You'll still be in a herk and will have opportunity to crosstrain.

Track to T-44s, kick ass in Corpus, and hope the drop works out.

HD

You weren't joking

Well I wasn't entirely joking about being lazy but I did search. I searched for AC-130 and nothing came up so I searched for gunship and that didn't get me much. I just realized that searching for AC130 (without the dash) brought up tons of crap, who knew... Thanks for the responses, I was just curious.

Guest Safe&Clear

Just remember that if you were to get AC-130s, you have about a 40% chance of spending many years at Cannon AFB in beautiful Clovis NM. That prospect seldom stopped guys who wanted to fly F-16s, but remember that in AFSOC you typically spend 5-7 years at a duty station/ airframe instead of only 3.

Just remember that if you were to get AC-130s, you have about a 40% chance of spending many years at Cannon AFB in beautiful Clovis NM. That prospect seldom stopped guys who wanted to fly F-16s, but remember that in AFSOC you typically spend 5-7 years at a duty station/ airframe instead of only 3.

But the prospect of Cannon for the F-16s was only about a one in seven or eight chance, with that being about the only raw deal for them (not including Korea, which I've heard a lot of people enjoy). Versus a 50% (or so) chance of going to Cannon for the gunships. In my case, however, it would be more than worth it to me.

When I was a FAIP (a while ago) we had one drop to T1s, so it has happened at least once.

Nothing different from info already presented--go to T44s, do well and hope for one in your drop. However, keep in mind that if you end up in a slick, or some other non gunship for your first assignment, AFSOC is always hiring. As people get married and have kids the gunship often loses some appeal vs what they felt as 22 year olds. From what my 130 brethren have told me, it's pretty easy to cross over to AFSOC after a tour in slicks, if you still have the interest.

Guest Safe&Clear
When I was a FAIP (a while ago) we had one drop to T1s, so it has happened at least once.

That T-1 to Gunships didn't happen for female about 8 years ago did it?

That's the only T-1 trained pipeline CP I ever knew of.

Edited by Safe&Clear

• 3 months later...

I'm about to track select here in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on selecting T-44s and moving on down to Corpus Christi. Does anyone know what the recent drops for ACs or MCs have been?

I'm about to track select here in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on selecting T-44s and moving on down to Corpus Christi. Does anyone know what the recent drops for ACs or MCs have been?

The thread named "Drops at Corpus" (last posted in 11 days ago) would be a good place to start looking.

The latest words from AFSOC/A1 are that they are working on a crossflow plan between H's and U's. Who knows if it will happen but it would certainly appear as if AFSOC is trying to make it "fair" for gunship guys through dual qualing.

Guest Safe&Clear

Fortunately there are still a good number of students going thru Corpus who are fired-up to fly gunships, even if they have to live in Clovis. Good on em!

That being said, there is a slight reduction in the desire: Once upon a time, 95% of students wanted gunships, it's probably dropped to around 85%. This is good, because it will be tough living there and motivation will be important. It's better to send the #5 guy to AFSOC who really wants it than the number 1 guy who simply thinks it'd be the cool thing to do...

So your chances may be better than they once were. Just my theory.

The T2 is a pilots airplane. Buy hey, if you want to fly the AF version of Nascar, go gunpig.

If you want to be a cud-chewing herbivore, put on your Gucci tag and fly the T-2.

If you want to actually contribute to the war on terror by killing people, become a carnivore and fly the gunship.

The T2 is a pilots airplane. Buy hey, if you want to fly the AF version of Nascar, go gunpig.

And exactly what does the T2 do?

Guest xtndr50boom
And exactly what does the T2 do?

Dude, are you serious? Talon 2? Low level infil/exfil? TF/TA? Bueller, bueller?

Guest xtndr50boom

Talk to LJ driver. He'd give a much better description, but the T1 is based off the E model 130 and is obviously alot older. The T2 is an H, is newer, glass cockpit, and two fewer crewmembers

Talk to LJ driver. He'd give a much better description, but the T1 is based off the E model 130 and is obviously alot older. The T2 is an H, is newer, glass cockpit, and two fewer crewmembers

I only know slicks. If it's an H Model then it still has a Eng/Nav.

Then what's the T1 do?

Everything the Talon II does, with a 25 year older airplane and 2 additional crewmembers. The 2 and the 1 both have their strengths and weaknesses, but are capable of 99% of the same stuff, depending on the training of the specific crews.

Edited by Carpetbagger

Everything the Talon II does, with a 25 year older airplane and 2 additional crewmembers. The 2 and the 1 both have their strengths and weaknesses, but are capable of 99% of the same stuff, depending on the training of the specific crews.

What crew members did the T2 lose?

What crew members did the T2 lose?

RO and a Nav

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=115

Try that link. It explains the whole shooting match except the STAR stuff. The T1 used to be the primary platform for clandestine STAR using the Fulton Surface to Air Recovery System (STAR). Some modified Papas used it as well. It is not used anymore.

Guest Spectre514

ClearedHot was on target direct!

The T2 is a navigators airplane if ever we had one. Yes, the pilot gets to do alot of low-level and assault training, but that's mostly directed by the navigator and the system. The AC-130 is a carnivore; a strike aircraft led by the pilot with one mission, kill bad guys. Of course, the T2 has done some very worthy things during the GWOT, but they are few and far between. When was the last time anyone heard a ground team say "if we just had one more Talon II?" They say that every night about the gunships.

If you wanna drive Snapple and MREs around theater, chose a T2. If you want to kill bad guys and help win the GWOT, fly Spectre or the U-Boat.

Didn't mean to fire for effect, but hey, herbivores make easy targets.

Guest Safe&Clear
ClearedHot was on target direct!

The T2 is a navigators airplane if ever we had one. Yes, the pilot gets to do alot of low-level and assault training, but that's mostly directed by the navigator and the system. The AC-130 is a carnivore; a strike aircraft led by the pilot with one mission, kill bad guys. Of course, the T2 has done some very worthy things during the GWOT, but they are few and far between. When was the last time anyone heard a ground team say "if we just had one more Talon II?" They say that every night about the gunships.

If you wanna drive Snapple and MREs around theater, chose a T2. If you want to kill bad guys and help win the GWOT, fly Spectre or the U-Boat.

Didn't mean to fire for effect, but hey, herbivores make easy targets.

They are both a lot of fun and worth a few years of your time. I know several dudes-- both Pilots and Navs-- who got tired of gunships after a while (yes, it can happen!) and switched to Talons. All seemed to enjoy it.

As I've said before: once into AFSOC it's easy to stay there and just shuffle around.