Tyndall Phantoms

Guest markkyle66

Guest markkyle66

I was fortunate enough to go on a base visit to Tyndall not too long ago and couldn't help but notice some of the QRF-4's on the flightline and some painted in a camo similar to SEA style. I asked one of the pilots if they were drones as well, but turns out they are used for pilots to maintain currency according to him. I guess my question would be under what circumstances would you get to use the phantoms for proficiency? Is it a thing for the Eagle/Raptor guys? ... Or a weapons testbed for different missiles/weapons?

Phantom

Phantom Take Off

Phantom landing roll

While I can't answer your question (I've always wondered the same thing about that mission at Tyndall), I would like to say thanks for posting those pics. I've always loved seeing that jet in flight :thumbsup:

Talked to the pilots at the heritage conference last year. They said that the jets are required to have 69 hours on them prior to being accepted as drones. That is why you see them at air shows and such. Not sure about the currency requirements.

Guest Rainman A-10
I asked one of the pilots if they were drones as well, but turns out they are used for pilots to maintain currency according to him.

They are FCF pilots for the drones. There is no operational requirement for the Tyndall Phantoms (except as drones).

I don't anything about their currency, but the drone drivers ferry and check flight Phantoms being brought out of the bone yard for drone duty.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

After BAE installs the drone gear/telemetry gizmos, they are flown to Tyndall and Holloman. They stay 'man rated' since they do have to be flown with a meat servo for various routine testing/maintenance or in the event an unmanned jet has a problem and is recovered, then it has to have a manned FCF.

There is a pretty good spoof video done by the Det CC and co at Holloman about 'old warriors.' If I can find it, I'll post it.

Guest markkyle66
They are FCF pilots for the drones. There is no operational requirement for the Tyndall Phantoms (except as drones).

Very cool, I appreciate the info! How does one become an FCF pilot though? Is it like a side-job for guys with many fighter hours based where there are drones? I was also kind of curious if there were drones out there other than the F4... are the F100's still around?

82-qf100-redtail.JPG

Edited by markkyle66

Very cool, I appreciate the info! How does one become an FCF pilot though? Is it like a side-job for guys with many fighter hours based where there are drones? I was also kind of curious if there were drones out there other than the F4... are the F100's still around?

The aircrews at the Dets at Holloman and Tyndall do it as their fulltime job. The maintenance is civilian contractor. The current crews had F-4 time (ok as of a couple of years ago, anyway) in their background. However, a new guy can be checked out in house. I know the guy who was the last USAF guy to check out in the F-106. He did it at Holloman in the '90s while assigned to Det 1.

Not a 100%, but I believe the only USAF fullscale drones are QF-4s. There's enough of them to support the program into the 2010s time frame. As a side sad note, the last F-4G not in a museum was splashed into the Gulf of Mexico during a WSEP several years ago as a Q.

Edited by brickhistory

As a side sad note, the last F-4G not in a museum was splashed into the Gulf of Mexico during a WSEP several years ago as a Q.

F-86, F-4, F-106 or F-100, it's always sad to see them blown to shit. Similarly, I hate seeing SDBs and WCMDs shack F-8s and the like.

F-86, F-4, F-106 or F-100, it's always sad to see them blown to shit. Similarly, I hate seeing SDBs and WCMDs shack F-8s and the like.

Sad it is, but a retired F-4 driver who works for BAE in the QF-4 program stated probably the best, "I'd rather see them go out in a blaze of glory than rotting away in the desert or on a stick." :salut:

Random memory at your mention of F-86s. One of the coolest sights I've seen in my career was a five ship entering the break at Kadena. F-86 DART tow leading a four ship of F-15s with absolutely superb, crisp breaks, that streamed wingtip vortices in the humid air from all five. Outstanding!

Sad it is, but a retired F-4 driver who works for BAE in the QF-4 program stated probably the best, "I'd rather see them go out in a blaze of glory than rotting away in the desert or on a stick." :salut:

A totally valid point. I suppose that I'd prefer to see private collectors being given a better opportunity to acquire them, but that's not in the best interests of the Air Force, so it has very little merit.

A totally valid point. I suppose that I'd prefer to see private collectors being given a better opportunity to acquire them

F--- that. The doctors and lawyers are doing fine killing themselves in Piper Cubs. Less collateral damage.

HD

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note:

The 728th Armament Systems Group, 328th Armament Systems Wing (AFMC), announces the first of a series of Industry Days for the future acquisition of the QF-16 Air Superiority Target (AST) to be held 16-19 July 2007 at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. The purpose of this event is to provide available program information pertaining to the QF-16 Full Scale Target Drone and will include a QF-16 program overview and draft QF-16 requirements. Additional briefings will include the technical requirements relevant to Logistics, Engineering, Drone Operations, and Testing.

FBO Announcement

I was at Incirlik about a month ago and some Turkish F-4's were taking off. I was holding short, but still opened my vent window to hear the sound of them rolling. I was right at their rotate point, so it looked pretty cool. Nice to see them still in use by someone.

Guest PhillipJFry
All Phantoms have a hook.

Most of the phantoms at Tyndall are ex-Navy jets as well.

Civilian contractors, retired military.

HD

I can't remember the exact number, but there are about 3-4 active duty pilots that fly the phantoms out of Tyndall.

How does one become an FCF pilot though?

Luck and good timing was the answer I got.

Edited by PhillipJFry

• 2 years later...
Guest F4Ops

. As a side sad note, the last F-4G not in a museum was splashed into the Gulf of Mexico during a WSEP several years ago as a Q.

Actually, I believe the last F-4G in the inventory was shot down just a few days ago, during WSEP at Holloman AFB.

Major Derek Mentzer in an F-15 out of Eglin used an AIM-9 to splash 69-0250 June 24th, 2009.

Hate to see that happen. Most of the remaining drones are now RF-4s.

Fred Sheffler

VP Operations

F-4 Phantom II Society

[Phantom Phanatics.. join us for PhanCon 2009 at Holloman, Oct 6-8th. www.f4phantom.com]