Gun Talk

VL-16

Brick

I agree, that's a work of art. Do you mind sharing what you had to go through to find one, and how much it cost?

Cheers! M2

Just some google-fu for the most part. A couple of visits to the DC gun shows as well. Those were way to pricey for the condition in my opinion. Pretty beat up grips (dinged, missing the Browning medal center ((notorious for coming off. Which mine did while shooting, but some superglue and awareness to watch for it should keep that from occurring again.)), worn areas on the slide/frame, etc, etc.

I'm hinky about buying used guns that I plan to shoot and don't know the owner and his track record for maintenance and the like.

As these are out of production (although RUMINT says Browning produces a limited run and/or there's some secret stash somewhere. Probably next to the Arc of the Covenent in the Gov't warehouse...), a gently used or really lucky find of a "new old stock" was my only option.

Gunbroker/gunsAmerica, et al usually have 2-5 BDA's for sale at any time. Most ot them have looked pretty beat up - pawnshops, etc type guns (not that there's anything wrong with that!). So those were available for a pretty cheap price $300-400, they looked too beat up for me.

Google "Browning BDA .380 for sale" and a long list of entries appears. Most are expired and/or sold. This one was on the Pennsylvania Firearms Owner's Association or some such board. It was listed as for sale with no apparent buyers but the listing was about four months in the past. The photos looked really good and there was no wear on the slide visible so I figured it was worth a shot (no pun intended).

I joined, e-mailed the lister and asked if it was still available. We talked on the phone as well It was still available and I offered the guy his last asking price. He said it was a fun gun, but he'd only shot it about 100 rounds as he was more a long gun shooter/hunter so this one was a space taker-upper and not his style. A USPS money order for $525 and a trading of FFL info and the pistol was mine.

I'm sure they can be had for less as well as much more. I'm content with the deal and happy to have the pistol.

edited to add: as of today, 4 Nov 11, 1430Z, there are two really nice looking blued ones on gunbroker. Starting price with no bid is $395. Sale has 1 day, 9 hours to run. No, it is not mine. Just thought I'd point it out for anyone interested.

Edited by brickhistory

Just got an email from Numrich, they are having a 1911 parts sale (20% off) from 10-14 November in honor of Veteran's Day.

Use the Coupon Code: VTW068432AC

More info at Veteran's Day Sale: 20% Off 1911 parts and accessories

Just thought I'd share this with everyone. :rock:

With luck, I will be picking up a Cz70 and a Polish AK-47 underfolder this weekend. Two separate deals, but both at great prices! I love living in Texas! texas.gif

Cheers! M2

I'm picking up an Arsenal SGL 31 next Tuesday. I already bought ammo and some extra mags. I just need to find an unobtrusive light mount/attachment without changing the handguards to rails. The side rail will also hold a mount with a red dot, but that will come after shooting this one for a while. Eventually I'll pick up another SGL 31 and configure it the same way.

Celebrating Mikhail's birthday?

l.jpg

He turned 92 yesterday. Cheers, comrade! I'm picking up a Polish AKMS underfolder tomorrow to celebrate!

Also picked this up last night for a meager $150...

Picture004.jpg

A CZ vz. 70 in .32 ACP, basically a communist Walther PP/PPK. It has a fixed barrel and can be shot in single or double action. Essentially it is a CZ vz. 50 with some minor cosmetic changes and internal improvements...

Cheers! M2

Well, since a Czech pistol really isn't a way to celebrate Mikhail Kalashnikov's birthday; I got this Polish AKMS underfolder this morning.

IMG_0099.jpg

The good news is that it is not a Century build,it was built on a Ewbanks Mfg EMAKM receiver. Other good news is that it is matching (bolt, front trunnion, dust cover and gas tube), has nice furniture on it and a TAPCO G2 trigger.

The downside is that when I got it, it had a Romanian pistol grip, the muzzle brake was scratched up and looked aftermarket ,and the cleaning rod isn't stock (it extended to just outside the slant brake). Also, there is some wobble in the underfolder stock, at least more than my M70AB2 (which is pretty tight).

So I put on a Polish grip I had in my parts bin, as well as a better muzzle brake. I also put a Polish lower handguard I had just to see how it looked, but the upper handguard around the gas tube was on so tight I couldn't get it removed. So in the above pic it shows the replacement lower handguard and the original upper. I also attached a Polish AK bayonet and a green canvas sling I had.

Overall it's a nice AK, and for $400 I can't complain!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

I actually put the original lower handguard back on, I could not for the life of me get the upper one on the gas tube. I mean I was smacking the shit out of it with a rubber mallet and it still wouldn't go on more than halfway. I guess I'll have to dremel or sand it down a bit, but I have never had an upper handguard be this tough to replace on an AK!

There really isn't that much difference between the two sets, the ones that came with it are darker and more brown whereas the set I had were lighter and had a bit of a reddish tint to them. They were also just a tad nice.

Now, if I can only figure out how to tighten up the underfolding stock, this AK would be perfect. Well, it is still the toughest AK I've ever had to re-assemble after field stripping, I don't know if it's the Ewbanks receiver or the stock Polish bolt, but whereas all my other AKs are a breeze to put back together this one is a pain. Even getting the gas tube on/off is tough. It is the tightest AKs I've ever seen, assembly-wise; but for $400 it's still a helluva deal! It's tough finding a stock WASR-10 for that price around here anymore...

Cheers! M2

Remington 870 Express

559.jpg

Timney Trigger Fix

573.jpg

Scattergun Technologies Oversized Safety

574.jpg

A friend's homemade CNC setup

598.jpg

Stock in progress

603.jpg

Stock complete

604.jpg

Fuck it, let's do the receiver

607.jpg

1" Cut off the stock

609.jpg

Phase 1 complete

610.jpg

Ready for duracoat. HK Satin Black leftover from my CZ project

615.jpg

FInished stock

003.jpg

Receiver close up

002.jpg

Zombie Blaster

004.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by Beaver

Beaver,

That is a pretty sexy HD gun. If you do not mind, can you tell me an approximate cost for all the upgrades you did here or in a message? At least an approximation of the extended mag, flashlight, and iron sight. Also, what made you go with iron sights over ghost rings or a bead sight?

Here's hopin':

http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/14/house-to-consider-national-concealed-carry-gun-bill-tuesday/

The House of Representatives will consider a bill on Tuesday allowing concealed carry permit holders to carry handguns across state lines.

The legislation would allow those with permits to carry a concealed handgun in any state where concealed carry is not restricted. Forty nine states currently allow some form of concealed carry, but the training and requirements for obtaining a permit vary.

I wonder if the Senate would pass it and, if so, if the President would sign it?

This is a no-brainer to me, but I'm biased. It is a political hot potato, however.

Beaver,

That is a pretty sexy HD gun. If you do not mind, can you tell me an approximate cost for all the upgrades you did here or in a message? At least an approximation of the extended mag, flashlight, and iron sight. Also, what made you go with iron sights over ghost rings or a bead sight?

Gun - $300

Trigger kit - $90

Mag clamp - $80

Mag extension - $45

Safety - $15

Barrel - $165

Streamlight TLR-1 - $99

Duracoat - $16

I picked the barrel with the rifle sights because I wanted the parkerize finish, the sights have tritium inserts, and it seemed a little better than just a bead for home defense. I've never shot ghost ring sights.

You could probably go out and spend $700 and get a better gun that what I ended up with. But I enjoyed the project and the gun turned out exactly how I want it.

http://www.politico....1111/68541.html

Gun-rights advocates scored a key victory Wednesday with the passage of the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act — a bill that would allow states to recognize each other’s concealed-carry permits for firearms. The legislation still has to clear the Senate, where its fate is unclear. The House vote was 272-154, with 43 Democrats joining an overwhelming majority of Republicans to pass the bill.

States already have the right to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states concerning concealed carry, this is even better. This law would allow those with a concealed-weapons permit in one state to carry their firearms elsewhere as long as that state also allows concealed carrying! So my TX CHL would permit me to carry in every state except Illinois (which doesn't issue conceal carry permits). That means anti-gun states like New York state and California are fucked unless they get rid of their permits. No need for reciprocity agreements!

And it is not going against states' rights as Rep Charles Bass points out, it doesn’t repeal any right that a state has to have or not have its own laws!

If this makes it to Obama's desk and he signs it, I actually might say something nice about the guy!

Cheers! M2

States already have the right to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states concerning concealed carry, this is even better. This law would allow those with a concealed-weapons permit in one state to carry their firearms elsewhere as long as that state also allows concealed carrying! So my TX CHL would permit me to carry in every state except Illinois (which doesn't issue conceal carry permits). That means anti-gun states like New York state and California are fucked unless they get rid of their permits. No need for reciprocity agreements!

And it is not going against states' rights as Rep Charles Bass points out, it doesn’t repeal any right that a state has to have or not have its own laws!

If this makes it to Obama's desk and he signs it, I actually might say something nice about the guy!

Cheers! M2

So looking at the failed Senate vote in 2009 (failed 58 to 39 to make it past the filibuster), compared to the current makeup of the Senate...my math has it passing 62-38.

The premise for this is that 45 of the 47 Republicans will vote for the measure (Brown and Lugar said they will not vote for it) and that all Democrats who voted for it in 2009 will vote for it again this year...also adding Sen Manchin, Dem, from West Virginia in the 'Aye' column. The two possible wild cards in my opinion would be Reid and Kirk...Reid because voting this way now will mean it actually passes, and Kirk because he's newly elected from Illinois (might be anti-gun, but this wouldn't affect Illinois since they ban CCW). On a side note, McCaskill will face a super tough reelection in Missouri this year and that might cause her to change her vote from a no to a yes.

Having said all of this, I am fairly confident Obama will veto the bill. His administration is already planning on banning shooting on public lands (link)--so much for guys like NSplayr saying Obama hasn't done anything antigun (though his nominees to the courts have been antigun). Even if he did sign the bill, I wouldn't be surprised to see states like California, Hawaii, Maryland, etc (essentially most of the 'May Issue' states) to straight up get rid of their CCW laws/permits.

I know there are some Mosin fans on here, so I'd like to share that AIM Surplus is offering a package deal on a 91/30 and a M44 - both for $219 plus shipping. Add both to your cart and use coupon 'blkfriday' to see the discount. That code will also net you a 440rd 7.62x54r spam can for $68 plus shipping. Hurry if you want it because I doubt this will last the weekend.

-9-

All I need is another Mosin! But seriously, that is a good price for anyone looking to buy one of those great rifles! I don't even want to admit how many of them I've got!

Outta curiosity I recently bought a Romanian lower handguard with the infamous "donkey dong" grip. I've never been a big fan of the design but since I was able to get one at a great price I decided to get it. After it arrived I decided to see what it looked like on my SAR-1, and honestly it's not too bad...

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

But I've already thrown the original handguard back on...

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

I am no longer against the "donkey dong" grip, I'll probably throw it back on there for a trip to the range. It is a better way to handle the rifle ergonomically, I can see why the Romanians went with this design; I am just a bit surprised that most other countries have gone a similar route other than the Hungarian AMD-65.

Cheers! M2

I was with you right up until I saw the Grapefruit-flavored beer beside your zombie killer...unless your plan is to serve it to the undead with a pink umbrella in it. Either way...badass gun!

That's bait. Zombies can't resist a hint of grapefruit in their beer.

On another note, I just purchased 5 stripped lowers from Palmetto State Armory for $49.99 each. One will be the base for a 6.8mm SPR.

My new Winchester M70 Sporter 30-06.

That's nice.

So holsters for CCW...

What are you guys using? I'm not too concerned with my pocket pistols (Ruger LCP, Kahr PM40, etc) as those are pretty easy to holster and throw in a pocket, but rather the larger sub compact pistols that you can't put in a pocket. For most of the last year I have been carrying my SW MP40c IWB in a Crossbreed Super Tuck (at the 4:30 position)--wear it at least once/twice a week as I also alternate between my various pocket pistols (especially in the summer with the advantage of cargo shorts). It was decently comfortable, unless I was wearing it for more than a couple of hours, but over the past couple of months it's really started to hurt my back, so much as to the point that I dread wearing it at times.

A few weeks ago a buddy of mine at work says all he wears now (for holsters) is a belly band holster...even for his .45. I finally got around to looking at them yesterday (Galco Belly Band) and they seem pretty good. But today, I came across a kind of holster I have never seen/heard of: 3 Speed Holster (link). It's a belly band type holster that from the videos looks like it would be super comfortable (if you don't mind having a gun pointed down at your crotch). Anybody familiar with this brand or any of the belly band holsters for that matter? I'm assuming you could also wear these in the crest of your lower back/6 o'clock position--anybody wear their CCW on their lower back?

And one more question for you fellow gun lovers...anybody ever use an ankle holster? I've tried one on briefly a while back and kind of like it...Galco seems to make some nice ones that stay secure. Figured it could help when I'm wearing something more formal and would like to have my J-frame snubbie or PM40.

Thanks guys! Oh, and here's the video on the 3 Speed (they also do a pretty good job with 3 more videos after this one going over different ways to wear the holster, how to use it, etc).

3 Speed Holster You Tube Video Link