Gun Talk

VL-16

I need help, I am getting a little out of control with this!

Naw, who am I kidding! This is fun!

Tomorrow I am picking up my third gun in less than a week and a half...

6743986.jpg

3595948.jpg

1123311.jpg

It's a brand new, never shot (other than the factory test) aforementioned Taurus PT709 Slim. It only was released a month or so ago, and the one I am getting is $70 cheaper than the cheapest one I could find locally and $90-$115 cheaper than I saw at the last gun show. I did quite like the stainless steel one I saw at a gun shop this afternoon, but I care less about the looks of a gun than I do its functionality (well, except for 1911s!). I hope to shoot this one at Bullis on Sunday as Saturday is--yep, you guessed it--another gun show!

And for anyone in the San Antonio area, we're most likely going to meet up at the IHOP on Broadway at 0800 for breakfast before the show, in case anyone is interested in joining us. The show itself is at the Freeman Coliseum, right next to the AT&T Center.

Cheers! M2

Just bought a new .45 today... a SIG P220 Carry with a military discount too!

P220-CARRY-detail-L.jpg

Nice! How did the mil discount work with SIG? My wife has actually said she's thinking of getting me a 229 for Christmas - she loves "sales" and discounts!

A little .357 like that would probably melt the bad guy you're shooting at! The local gun shop has S&W show up a couple times a year with all their goodies. Pay their range fee and buy the ammo and you can shoot all their guns. I was interested in the 329PD which is an airweight .44 Mag. That was the only gun they didn't have - they even had the .500SW. They said the super light .44 was worse to shoot than the .500 - so much people were dropping the .44!

BF

Nice! How did the mil discount work with SIG? My wife has actually said she's thinking of getting me a 229 for Christmas - she loves "sales" and discounts!

A little .357 like that would probably melt the bad guy you're shooting at! The local gun shop has S&W show up a couple times a year with all their goodies. Pay their range fee and buy the ammo and you can shoot all their guns. I was interested in the 329PD which is an airweight .44 Mag. That was the only gun they didn't have - they even had the .500SW. They said the super light .44 was worse to shoot than the .500 - so much people were dropping the .44!

BF

Fred, it wasn't direct from SIG but from this place, Atlantic Tactical. They come with 3 magazines and night sights (which I think are useless, but if I get them I don't mind). It was $779 after shipping. I called them up and talked to a sales rep. She had me email a scanned copy of my Mil ID to her and she also needed a copy of a local FFL. Lucky for me they already had the one I was using on file. The total process took about 10 minutes for me. If your local FFL is good, they won't charge you an arm and a leg for the transfer fee, so you could easily get it for around $800. MSRP on the model I got is $1050. It's an expensive gun, but I've been impressed with my other SIG (a sub-compact P239 in .40) that I wanted another SIG. And since I am out of state where they ship, I didn't have to worry about tax. They also have 229s there.

This was the best price I could find on an available SIG lately. To put it in perspective, a local gun shop where I am is selling this same model with night sights for $920 before tax and about $1000 after tax and background check. They're overpriced IMO Gunbroker might have similar prices for a brand new gun, but it won't come with 3 mags and they won't come with NS at that price. I've seen other websites offer the same SIG in the same configuration at prices around and lower than what I got it for, but they've been out of stock for over a year now (I'm assuming the price will go up once they do have them in stock). Anyway, SIGs are expensive but they're great firearms.

They also have a bunch of other guns like Glocks for $439 before shipping.

BFM

First, your questions...

[...]

Cheers! M2

M2,

Awesome info. Thanks! Looking forward to your impression of the 709. It appears that it would be a great BUG companion to the PT111, although I've also eyed the airlite for that capacity as well (prob w/38+p rounds).

I admit, my impressions of Taurus were always negative, begining with their knockoff of the 92F (took a bad design and made it sh!ttier). I had a chance to carry a buddy's PT911 for a while last year, and although it seemed like a solid gun, again it had some design flaws. For one, the safety stuck out, literally, like a sore thumb. Every time I transfered it from the seat holster in my jeep to my waist, I'd found the safety had come off along the way. At least it had a decocker like my USP. But I'm liking what I see in the smaller PT series, and if they can get the details right, they've always had competitive pricing.

Cheers,

Edited by BFM this

BFM

Picked up the PT709 this afternoon, and haven't fired it yet but I have compared it to the PT111 I got last week.

Honestly, other than the width they are exactly the same. If you want a very flat gun (less than an inch wide) and can live with 7+1 of 9mm, then get the PT709; but if a wider pistol is no problem and you prefer the 12+1 capacity of the PT111, then that's your choice. The two aren't dramatically different from each other (the PT709 does have trigger safety), and if the PT709 performs as well as the PT111 has so far, the biggest factor in choosing may just be the price!

Cheers! M2

I finally got my AR. Here she is (pardon the crappy phone-camera quality):

LWRC M6A2 14.7 in barrel with pinned FH to get to the 16 in legal length

Trijicon 4x32 ACOG (Chevron reticle w/ reference lines)

Troy foregrip

Troy push-button sling mount

Blackhawk one-point sling

…and several PMAGs to feed the beast

lwrcm6a2leftside2.jpg

lwrcm6a2leftdiagonal.jpg

Nice rifle, Krabs. I love my M6A1. With that rifle, the Trijicon and the Troy stuff you've spent a lot of money. I hope you left some for ammo! Enjoy it.

Thanks Timbonez

I did drop quite a bit on it as you surmised, but it's worth it to me. However, I have absolutely no buyers remorse and plan to have this rifle a very long time. I did have to go light on the ammo however...can't find much around. Regardless of ammo scarcity, I can't wait to put some rounds through it.

Everybody I've talked to has said they love Trijicon, and I am very much in agreement. The optics are fantastic. I was a little iffy on the fiber optic deal (just aesthetically, I think FiO stuff is great, but it still looks kinda goofy on top of the scope) it works and takes the hassle out of the illuminated reticle aspect. I've used the laser stuff before and every time I went to the range with my dad's AR, sporting some red-dot sight, I spent the whole time fiddling with it, wondering how it was so off from the last time I spent a day sighting it in. Plus, no batteries.

I like Troy stuff a lot. It's simple, quality stuff. Though the Trijicon is super-cool, I love the Troy flip-up sights that come on the rifle. The grip I had to get from Troy since they are one of the few that I could find that make a metal grip instead of the usual plastic. The sling attachment was unnecessary, just an icing-on-the-cake deal for if/when I want to do some fun carbine training.

Overall, a solid purchase in my book.

I finally got my AR. Here she is (pardon the crappy phone-camera quality):

LWRC M6A2 14.7 in barrel with pinned FH to get to the 16 in legal length

I've gotta ask about this (I'm not picking on you or your AR, Krabs - I'd take yours in a heartbeat if I could):

What is the reasoning behind a short barrel with a long flash supressor/flash hider/muzzle brake to get to the 16" min barrel length?

Krabs's case isn't that bad, but I've seen some with 3", 4" and even 5" muzzle devices "pinned to make a legal 16" barrel". Why?

Some people like the look of the shorter barrel, but don't want to deal the stamp tax for a SBR. They lose velocity, but that's a choice some are willing to make. There are those that like making retro builds of XM177s and permanently attach an oversized moderator. The more modern looking builds with the short barrel and longer flash hiders, I would bet, don't sell well. Everyone want's the M4 style carbine with the M203 notch cut in the barrel (which is totally useless for non Mil/LE and reduces the rigidity of the barrel). To a lot of people their AR-15s are more about aesthetics than being the tool it actually is.

I've gotta ask about this (I'm not picking on you or your AR, Krabs - I'd take yours in a heartbeat if I could):

What is the reasoning behind a short barrel with a long flash supressor/flash hider/muzzle brake to get to the 16" min barrel length?

Krabs's case isn't that bad, but I've seen some with 3", 4" and even 5" muzzle devices "pinned to make a legal 16" barrel". Why?

In my particular case, there is actually not a reason for it except what was in stock. I just noted it in my description since you cant even tell it's not a 16 inch barrel without having a 16 inch barrel version there to visually compare.

I got it from a gunbroker auction and the dealer didn't specify what length on the auction. I assumed it was the standard 16, however all the 16 in barrels the store had were spoken for at that moment when I called them up, so the slightly shorter one was what I got. The difference between the rifles is negligible in my opinion so I had no preference one way or the other. I think the 14.7 version is an LWRC sales gimmick for the people who want to feel like they have a SBR, but don't want to do any paperwork. All it is is a standard flash hider, just moved back a little.

I'm with you, I don't see the reasoning behind a extended barrel devices to make it legal. In my opinion, if a person is willing to do that nonsense, they might as well go through the process to get a SBR.

To Timbonez point, some of it is aesthetics with ARs, and I'm not going to act like I didn't pick a few things while considering looks, but sometimes it does get ridiculous...

gearedoutar15.th.jpg

I was very close to getting a 6.8 spc version, but decided that the tried and true 5.56 was the way to go this time. Anyone have a 6.8 spc cal rifle? The round seems pretty interesting.

I'm on a roll...after picking up a beautiful Yugo SKS last Sunday, one week later I snag a 1952 Russian SKS with all matching numbers, an original cleaning kit and sling!

Here it is with my 1939 Nagant M1895 also from the Tula factory, and the end of a RBR 64 mm M80 "ZOLJA" anti-tank rocket fired from a hand-held launcher that I picked up at a destroyed communications site near Mostar, Bosnia. Everything is on a Yugoslav Communist banner I picked up in Sarajevo...

IMG_1864.jpg

Here's another pic with my new Yugo and ten rounds of 7.62x39 to represent what the original magazines hold (my third SKS, a Yugo, runs 20-round removable TAPCO mags that work perfectly with the rifle)...

IMG_1862.jpg

I paid $375 for the Rooskie, which appeared to be a decent deal. Now I am after a Norinco paratrooper SKS...

Cheers! M2

Very nice M2. Well I finally found some 380 here this past weekend. Surprisingly it was a at pawn shop. They had apparently gotten in a couple of cases of it. But it was on the high end of what I wanted to pay for it so I only got a box. But I did find some online that was going for 19.99 a box. Now only if wally world would get in some more white box in 45. or get some blazer in for a good price.

Yeah that's the only down side to having a gun that shoots 380. But I have a bersa thunder and it's a good little gun. I'm thinking that the next pistol that I might get will be something in the 9mm range. XDsc maybe I duno need to do some looking out there for the smaller sized 9s out there for summer carry.

My two most recent pistol acquisitions were both Taurus 9mm--the PT111 and PT709. Very similar in size except the latter is a single-stack therefore slimmer, but the PT111 is easier to shoot more accurately. However, despite rumors to the contrary, both have been flawless (I just put 100 rounds through the PT709 without a single FTF/FTE) and Taurus now offers a lifetime guarantee on all their guns no matter if you are the original owner or not. I have been very happy with both of these pistols and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. For the price they are very capable weapons...

I'm looking at buying my first hunting rifle (i've bummed from others for a while).

I want a rifle with killing power at 400 yards. I want something that I can use for a variety of hunting, but mostly elk and deer. Elk in Colorado and deer in the Southeast.

I'm looking at the weatherby vanguard 7 mag, stainless steel w/ synthetic stock with a listed price of $599.

Thoughts, Opinions???

I'm looking at buying my first hunting rifle (i've bummed from others for a while).

I want a rifle with killing power at 400 yards. I want something that I can use for a variety of hunting, but mostly elk and deer. Elk in Colorado and deer in the Southeast.

I'm looking at the weatherby vanguard 7 mag, stainless steel w/ synthetic stock with a listed price of $599.

Thoughts, Opinions???

7mm Rem Mag is a great round - assume you're not looking at the 7mm Weatherby Mag. I initially thought it was a little weak until I watched 5 moose get killed with it. If you were stepping into bear hunting in Alaska I'd look for a .30 caliber round or even a .338 for the extra bullet mass.

Weatherby has a great reputation but if you want the "universal" hunting rifle I would look into the Remington 700. There are parts and pieces for that rifle everywhere and it is a solid rifle.

Before you start shooting animals at 400 yards make sure you are capable of making good hits - it is sad to see animals wounded by folks shooting beyond their capabilities.

I've been thinking about building a rifle up in .260 Remington - great round for distance shooting and based in a short action it would be a lot of fun...

BF

I found a new program from Sig this morning... Cash for Clunkers - Sig Style!

Trade in an old handgun and get $200 back from your new Sig purchase...

Klunker

You need to submit a sales receipt and a 4473, the gun must also be at least a .38 or 9mm to qualify. Sounds reasonable but who has a copy of their 4473 unless you go to the dealer you bought it from... Combine this with a mil discount and a Sig is a no-brainer...

BF

I found a new program from Sig this morning... Cash for Clunkers - Sig Style!

Trade in an old handgun and get $200 back from your new Sig purchase...

Klunker

You need to submit a sales receipt and a 4473, the gun must also be at least a .38 or 9mm to qualify. Sounds reasonable but who has a copy of their 4473 unless you go to the dealer you bought it from... Combine this with a mil discount and a Sig is a no-brainer...

BF

I mentioned a few days ago in this thread that I got a brand new SIG P220 Carry for $779 after shipping (with Mil discount) from Atlantic Tactical. It comes with night sights and 3 magazines instead of the standard 2. Tack on whatever your local dealer charges for a FFL transfer and you could have a SIG for less than or a little over $800. MSRP on the model I got is $1050 and I've seen gun stores selling this exact model for $920-$950 (that's before tax and only 2 magazines). They also have good deals on other brands. Anyway, with the mil discount from there and the Cash for Klunker that BF posted, you could have a brand new SIG for $600+. I also have a P239 in .40 S&W.

I mentioned a few days ago in this thread that I got a brand new SIG P220 Carry for $779 after shipping (with Mil discount) from Atlantic Tactical. It comes with night sights and 3 magazines instead of the standard 2. Tack on whatever your local dealer charges for a FFL transfer and you could have a SIG for less than or a little over $800. MSRP on the model I got is $1050 and I've seen gun stores selling this exact model for $920-$950 (that's before tax and only 2 magazines). They also have good deals on other brands. Anyway, with the mil discount from there and the Cash for Klunker that BF posted, you could have a brand new SIG for $600+. I also have a P239 in .40 S&W.

Too bad all my stuff is worth a lot more than $200.

I was thinking about buying a Lorcin - I would end up spending about $100 to buy it, $25 to ship it to me, then $25 to ship it to Sig. I would end up saving $50 with a huge paperwork pain to make it work.

BF