Blue Angels Crash into neighborhood in SC

ClearedHot

Guest Gumps
Unfortunately, CNN was wrong.

Him...Him. :beer:

:flag_waving:

CNN is saying now that the pilot is alive, and that there is one person killed.

Guest Kawen

I was actually at that airshow...my fiance and I decided to leave a little bit early to beat traffic and were in the car headed out the front gate when it crashed several miles directly in front of us. We couldn't see the crash, but we did see all of the emergency vehicles heading towards it and saw angel #1 circling above with a smoke trail to identify the crash site. All of traffic in all of the area was completely shut down, the base was put on lockdown, etc. etc. No one would tell us what was going on- though initial thoughts were of the worst. Then of course the conflicting reports of whether or not the pilot made it.

At any rate, prayers go out to the family...RIP Angel #6

RIP :beer::beer:

Anyone have any idea why he "dropped out of formation" like the media is saying or what maneuver was being performed. I know the media understands aviation like I understand women, but that is what is neing reported--any insight?

From Navy Office of Information

PENSACOLA, Fla. (NNS) -- An F/A-18A Hornet assigned to the Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron (Blue Angels) crashed during the final minutes of an air show at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C., at approximately 4 p.m. EDT, April 21.

The pilot did not survive.

The pilot of the jet was joining the Delta formation for the final maneuver of the aerial demonstration when the mishap occurred. It was his second year on the team, and first year as a demonstration pilot.

The other five Blue Angel jets were not involved in the incident and landed safely moments later.

The crash occurred approximately three miles outside the air station in the vicinity of Pine Grove Rd. and White Pine Rd. One civilian on the ground reported minor injuries and was transported to Beaufort Memorial Hospital. Some houses in the area received damage, the extent of which is unclear at this time.

The name of the pilot is being withheld pending the notification of the next-of-kin.

The cause of the accident is currently under investigation.

For more news from around the fleet, visit www.navy.mil.

Guest Kawen

He was doing a sharp turn during the rejoin when he apparently hit a tree top. His family was actually at the air show watching. It is a 2 day event and the only thing they canceled for day 2 was the blue angels show.

Guest Rolling-Thunder

CNN is showing two videos of the actual incident on TV.

It appears that the aircraft was turning sharply to join the other 5 aircraft. The aircraft then appears to lose altitude and airspeed, and descends into a stand of trees. There did not appear to be any change of bank angle, either, IMO.

It does not appear to me that he just clipped some trees while turning. Something "happened" before that.

Perhaps the aircraft had an engine problem, and he stayed with it to direct the plane away from houses and people.

===RIP===

I don't think there is anything disrespectful about speculating about the cause of a fatal accident. Especially one where nobody knows what caused it.

My heart goes out to the family of the fallen pilot, but i don't think its disrespectful to discuss possible causes.

Guest C-21 Pilot

I think the "experts" on here have EVERY right to speculate...Something about having studied the systems and characteristics of the plane, sitting on safety/accident discussions/conclusions - a little nomenclature we like to call BTDT.

You never know who your audience is - ROTC or not, there are always folks lurking who are smarter than you, have done more than you, have seen more than you...

Speculating is fine - as long as it is definable. I'd be pissed just as well if it wasn't a logical guess (G-Loc). I wasn't even thinking about G-Loc, but rather either engine failure, and his ability to turn the jet away from population. Besides, there are only 4 items that I know that will kill you in a plane: the system, nature, yourself, hostility.

Pointing out and posting senseless things like telling folks not to speculate are only wasting your time and take up bandwidth.