IFS (Initial Flight Screening) information

Guest ilikefood

Guest cain1683

Day to show to IFS...?

Rip shows day X. DOSSIFS.COM shows in-processing day is X-1. Logic would dictate to show at Pueblo X-2, to be ready to in-process bright an early X-1, however if anyone (particularly IFS IPs) have data on that, I'm all ears. If it's on the DOSS website somewhere and I missed it, apologies in advance.

Thanks.

Day to show to IFS...?

Rip shows day X. DOSSIFS.COM shows in-processing day is X-1. Logic would dictate to show at Pueblo X-2, to be ready to in-process bright an early X-1, however if anyone (particularly IFS IPs) have data on that, I'm all ears. If it's on the DOSS website somewhere and I missed it, apologies in advance.

Thanks.

That checks. My class date was for a Monday, I showed Sunday per the IFS website to inprocess, and I had arrived in Pueblo Saturday night so I could rest from the drive then inprocess bright and early on Sunday and have all day to get situated. Inprocessing will take you an hour at most but the sooner you get there the sooner you can hit the soft-serve ice cream.

Guest cain1683

That checks. My class date was for a Monday, I showed Sunday per the IFS website to inprocess, and I had arrived in Pueblo Saturday night so I could rest from the drive then inprocess bright and early on Sunday and have all day to get situated. Inprocessing will take you an hour at most but the sooner you get there the sooner you can hit the soft-serve ice cream.

Copy all thank'in you.

For other's knowledge...

Called IFS, called formal training. IFS said if I can show before noon or so on the processing day (X-1) that will suffice. If I show X-2 I will have to pay for a hotel for that night. Formal training dudes said they will have to amend my orders to make my showtime X-2... which apparently will not happen in time allotted. Something about a gov't shutdown putting them behind...

Thanks.

Edited by cain1683

• 3 months later...

Any dudes (or dudettes) on their way to IFS and in need of a good study tool for Boldface and Ops limits I stumbled upon a little gem today. I had the idea of putting flashcards on my iPhone for studying while on the go. Turns out I wasn't the first one. The app is call Flashcardlet and has the Boldface and Ops limits for the DA-20 already loaded on their server. I haven't had the time to double check each value against Doss IFS website so user beware. Follow the link for more info. Cheers! :beer:

Any dudes (or dudettes) on their way to IFS and in need of a good study tool for Boldface and Ops limits I stumbled upon a little gem today. I had the idea of putting flashcards on my iPhone for studying while on the go. Turns out I wasn't the first one. The app is call Flashcardlet and has the Boldface and Ops limits for the DA-20 already loaded on their server. I haven't had the time to double check each value against Doss IFS website so user beware. Follow the link for more info. Cheers! :beer:

Thanks for sharing. What's the deal with the Ops Limits as far as memorization is concerned? The sheet says that the items in red need to be committed to memory. What about all the other stuff??

Thanks for sharing. What's the deal with the Ops Limits as far as memorization is concerned? The sheet says that the items in red need to be committed to memory. What about all the other stuff??

Memorize as much of it as you can. A lot of that stuff you'll be using anyways (Vy speeds, Stall speeds, power plant stuff) so if you know it that will help. I didn't have it for my check ride, but RUMINT going around was that some of the check IPs would ask questions about the non-red items on the list (CG numbers, even heard knowing your tire pressures was a good idea.)

Start with the red stuff and then go through the important stuff, and get to the little things when you can.

At some point your FC will start doing Shotgun questions, which are usually from the "other stuff" in the ops limits. It's a good idea to know them, but you'd be better off getting the ops limits in RED and the BOLDFACE down COLD for day one, and pick up the rest as you go.

Being down at Whiting right now, and having been through IFS a few months ago I feel like I can comment on this. The navy guys that come through down here sit down at API (the AF equivalent of Phase I) THAT is really their first phase of attrition. They have bull crap questions that back you into corners and make you want to pick the wrong option. That's the way they go on it. And the Navy determines their needs as classes roll through based on what we call down here "NSS" scores. Basically a weighted average against the 200 previous dudes that roll through class. Sometimes they will wash out half the class, sometimes 1 will washout.

The FBO style and the IFS that the AF has come to know and love are incomparable like Smokey said. The way that I have boiled it down in my own head is that the Navy has different priorities than the AF. AF is about flying. Period end of story. Their biggest expense is flying. (spec war gets what they need but it is tiny compared to some of the other pipelines, so we will reserve that debate for later) The Navy has SWO's they have to train and Submariners and SEALS...the list goes on. It all saps money, and the FBO style is probably a lowest bidder type deal.

IFS is supposed to give somebody a particular taste of the types of stressors that they are going to experience, and if you notice to the selectees that are going to IFS right now, have already been screened through ROTC and the Academy and OTS (I think last year there were about 6-9 selectees if that gives you any indication of the caliber of individuals that are getting picked up) Could the training be better @ Pueblo, yes - they could actually train you. But everyone that goes through that school realizes that the individuals there are really trying to see if they can hack it, because the AF is going to dump a crap ton of money into you.

The Navy on the other hand, will tell you on the very last day of training (as this has recently been happening due to budget shortfalls throughout the squadrons and I'm sure for other reasons that are above my pay grade) thanks for playing, but this isn't for you. "yeah we know we have put you through the entire t-6 primary training, but you aren't good enough..standby for reclass".

That's just the way that we all have to look at it. We can't compare the numbers that each program are washing out, and we really can't even look at the numbers that IFS is washing out, unless we include all the commissioning source folks that didn't get picked up for UPT.

Sorry for the long post, but IFS is a good program and worth the money. Can't do IFS, Primary will be four punches to the nuts instead of one.

You guys have probably heard the expression "IFS is a sprint, and UPT is a marathon." Well...some people "sprint" very well, but fall out after a few miles. IFS simply cannot measure that. It identifies and removes the people who can't run at all, but only time (and Phase II) will tell if the survivors can hang with the big boys.

Edited by GovernmentMan

The IFS guide says to bring AETC patches from your home station. Where do I get them and which patches do I need other than the MAJCOM patch? I assume the 1st Flying Training Squadron for the right shoulder. What goes on the left? My ANG unit has never sent anyone to IFS (at least not anyone that has completed training yet), so they neither have the patches nor know where to get them. Thanks for the help.

-AE

The IFS guide says to bring AETC patches from your home station. Where do I get them and which patches do I need other than the MAJCOM patch? I assume the 1st Flying Training Squadron for the right shoulder. What goes on the left? My ANG unit has never sent anyone to IFS (at least not anyone that has completed training yet), so they neither have the patches nor know where to get them. Thanks for the help.

-AE

Get 'em at any BX... if that's not practical just show up without them (they had extras for us). Nothing on the sleeves (you can bring a flag but they wouldn't let us wear it). After you solo, you'll get their patch, and if your class chooses, you'll make a class patch. Also, if you have time beforehand, feel free to order a sweet nametag, as they don't care what you have. If you show up without one, you'll wear a rubber nametag with your name on a piece of label-maker tape, no kidding!

Oh, and get out on the weekends. No need to study for 12 hours on a Saturday at IFS...

Dudes,

How often do you get paid while at IFS? I have only done one TDY thus far, and that was for my FC-1 up at Wright-Patt. To get paid for that I had to submit a signed copy of my orders after I got back. I didn't actually receive money in my account until about a week after I returned, and that's not including my travel pay.

Is this the same process for IFS? Am I going to have to wait until the end of IFS to turn in my orders and get my military pay? I hope that is not the case. My cash reserves are on E, and I'm nursing a loan payment each month. I was under the (hopefully not false) impression that once I started pilot training, Uncle Sam would be throwing me a bone on the 1st and 15th of the month.

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered somewhere in the pay threads, but since it is specific to IFS, I figured some other clueless jackass might have the same one.

-MD

You'll get paychecks like normal if you're set up by your home base's finance.

In terms of travel expenses, it depends. If you have the CSA you should fill all that stuff out to get money on it before you leave, and that will take care of expenses. In terms of travel, I think you get reimbursed when you get back and turn in all of your travel stuff, but don't quote me on that because I flew commercially and didn't drive.

Don't worry too much about bills while you're up there. You can get by with literally no expenses if you want to, although you might go crazy.

I'll be attending IFS in February. Going over the Pre-Arrival guide I noticed I need to bring name tags for my flight suit with me. Are there any guidelines for the standard name tag I should bring or can any style/color do? My unit (Guard) issued me some wingless name tags, they are red with my name, first and last, no rank, and a symbol of the airplane they fly on it. Would these suffice or should I order some leather ones?

I'll be attending IFS in February. Going over the Pre-Arrival guide I noticed I need to bring name tags for my flight suit with me. Are there any guidelines for the standard name tag I should bring or can any style/color do? My unit (Guard) issued me some wingless name tags, they are red with my name, first and last, no rank, and a symbol of the airplane they fly on it. Would these suffice or should I order some leather ones?

Your units nametag will be just fine.

Smokey

Hey Smokey...assuming you're still down in Pueblo right now, here's a question for you: If I have my own headset (Bose A20) will you guys let me use it during IFS?

Bring your headset. Not a problem. Standard dual GA plugs only, no panel power.

Cheers,

Smokey

• 2 weeks later...

Smokey,

Down here at whiting there are some rumors that the Diamond is going to be a thing of the past and you guys are switching over to Cirrus...any word if that is true?

:beer:

LoneStar,

Haven't heard that rumor.....so it may very well be true. :o)

To be honest with you, and I was not part of that process, the DA-20 was forced on us. The Cirrus being acquired by the Academy has some nice aspects but we are talking about two separate programs. IFS at Doss and Powered Flight at the Academy. Powered Flight does not meet the prereq requirements for UPT nor is it in any way similar to the UPT indoc we provide. But, the Academy MUST have airplanes as history will demonstrate. I will not go deeper into why the fast turnover occurred at the Academy from the DA-40 to the SR-20. Suffice it to say that the airplane wasn't the problem.

Doss owns the aircraft and barring someone from above saying we'll buy new aircraft for you to use, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. I'd also say that the "stick/yolk" in the SR-20 is really a negative training device and would far prefer the stick in the DA-20 over it. That's my opinion.

Had I been king, I would have gotten an aircraft capable of basic aerobatics and with heavier wing loading than the DA-20. The GROB 115E and the Pac Air CT-4F come to mind as two examples. However, the DA-20 with all her warts, is a great trainer.

Again, if I were king, I would have included a no-harm, no-foul, couple of rides in the program just after the checkride to introduce "being upside down and pulling mild G's" to the IFS program. Believe it or not, there are folks that get through IFS fine but find that particular aspect less than desirable in the T-6 to include DOR's and LOA's (airsick).

We can only do what the AF asks us to do. It's very effective, but could do a little more in a perfect world. As we all know, that doesn't exist.

My 2 cents and my personal opinion. Not in any way a statement from Doss.

Smokey

Okay weird request...a friend is studying to get their private license done in a DA-20 and I offered to give em some of my study materials.

Cruising around the Doss website I don't see any links up for the Bold Face/Ops limits sheets anymore. Anyone got any laying around?

Thanks.

Okay weird request...a friend is studying to get their private license done in a DA-20 and I offered to give em some of my study materials.

Cruising around the Doss website I don't see any links up for the Bold Face/Ops limits sheets anymore. Anyone got any laying around?

Thanks.

Here... http://www.dossifs.com/docs/task1/Arrival_Guide.pdf About two thirds of the way thru the guide.

• 2 months later...

Tried searching first, no luck.

I finished up IFS back in June. I've talked to some local flight schools about taking some lessons and I'm wanting to start pursuing my PPL on the weekends. I was on the CSO track.

Question: Are any of the hours we did at IFS log gable in the DA-20 towards a PPL? The Pilot and CSO candidates did essentially the same flights until about halfway through when CSO tracked studs started doing VNAV flights. If any of it is loggable, what is the correct way to go about it? Unfortunately I didn't write down how long, what days, and who I flew with. I've considered emailing my flight commander that I had at Doss and asking but I don't want to waste anyone's time if its not even doable. All of our flights were tracked in TIMS, so if I'm still in their system, I would think that would supply the information required.

Thanks!

Edited by LoadClear

Question: Are any of the hours we did at IFS log gable in the DA-20 towards a PPL?

Yes and no. They're loggable because you can put whatever you want in your logbook. I would put them in mine. However, they're only usable towards a private certificate if you have all the right endorsements/signatures from the CFI that gave you the training. Since you don't have that, you're kinda SOL as I doubt they're gonna do the legwork for you to get that.

Edited by nunya

• 3 weeks later...

Tried searching first, no luck.

I finished up IFS back in June. I've talked to some local flight schools about taking some lessons and I'm wanting to start pursuing my PPL on the weekends. I was on the CSO track.

Question: Are any of the hours we did at IFS log gable in the DA-20 towards a PPL? The Pilot and CSO candidates did essentially the same flights until about halfway through when CSO tracked studs started doing VNAV flights. If any of it is loggable, what is the correct way to go about it? Unfortunately I didn't write down how long, what days, and who I flew with. I've considered emailing my flight commander that I had at Doss and asking but I don't want to waste anyone's time if its not even doable. All of our flights were tracked in TIMS, so if I'm still in their system, I would think that would supply the information required.

Thanks!

Speaking FAA wise here. Yes, I can access all the flight record information and provide it for you. What I can't do is provide any IP signatures into a logbook that would be necessary to validate that experience in a log book.

No I won't walk a log book around for you to do so. But, I will email you the flight record information if you want. Check your PM.

And, sorry it took so long to reply. I gotta life too.

Smokey

• 2 months later...

So I was reading up on this forum and I'm pretty sure I understand the glasses policy at IFS but wanted to make sure.

Since doss is an FAA run program that is contracted out through the military it is still held to FAA standards medically wise. So can we bring our own personal glasses to IFS or even contacts at that matter that we use while flying civilian (i.e. the ones I wore getting my PPL a few years ago) and not the ones the Air Force has us issued?