Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

I have a 2006 636. I started riding back in 1999 on a Ninja 250 and got bored with it real quick, however I recommend anybody new to riding to consider the 250 as a first bike.

And I definitely recommend a 600cc over liter bike for twisties.

Laters

post-4884-1212034822_thumb.jpg

post-4884-1212034836_thumb.jpg

I have a 2006 636. I started riding back in 1999 on a Ninja 250 and got bored with it real quick, however I recommend anybody new to riding to consider the 250 as a first bike.

And I definitely recommend a 600cc over liter bike for twisties.

Laters

Hard to tell, but looking at that second picture, it looks like you need a new chain - that thing looks a little rusted.

Snapping a chain is a bad, bad experience...

Hard to tell, but looking at that second picture, it looks like you need a new chain - that thing looks a little rusted.

Snapping a chain is a bad, bad experience...

Good catch! I already replaced the chain. it's condition was due to improper winter storage.

Any suggestions on how to put my mom's mind at ease? I can't get a bike without my parents permission, at least for another year, and they say no. I had the exact same discussion with them about flying and ended up completely changing their minds, but I might need something "more" as far as motorcycles are concerned

Any suggestions on how to put my mom's mind at ease? I can't get a bike without my parents permission, at least for another year, and they say no. I had the exact same discussion with them about flying and ended up completely changing their minds, but I might need something "more" as far as motorcycles are concerned

Not sure dude, my parents bought me my first motorcycle at 15. Just keep showing your interest and maybe they'll give in. Do you have any friends that have bikes? If so maybe they'll teach you and you can take a safety course on it. Some courses even have bikes to use for an additional fee. If it's your first bike then maybe get a cheap dirt bike just to practice.

Good luck with that. My dad lost his brother in a motorcycle accident so convincing my parents proved impossible. Just wait till you graduate college and are completely off their payroll. Then its up to you and they really can't tell you what to do. That being said I still haven't bought one but I've been thinking about it.

My dad threatened that if I took a ride on someone else's bike (i.e. a safety course) he would take a shotgun to that bike despite the legal implications.

Looks like you will be Huffy-ing it till your old enough!

Any motorcycle gear suppliers offer a military discount?

Cycle Gear offers discounts in their stores (at least the ones I've been to), but I'm not sure about online orders (you'll have to call and ask). It used to be 10% but just this weekend I bought some stuff and they told me they upped it to 15%, but that might be because the dealers around here all offer a 15% discount on parts/gear and they had to compete.

• 2 months later...

That depends on the bike and the rider. I know people who have toured on CBR1000RRs like I have, and I couldn't spend ten minutes aboard a Ducati 1098 without needing an appointment to see a chiropractor!

I would never recommend a sportbike for someone with limited/no riding experience or budget for a variety of reasons.

There are a lot of bikes out there that are fun to ride and will hold up for longer hauls as well. It mostly depends on your situation (financial, experience, etc). Sit down and come up with a plan, and let us know the details and I am sure you'll get some good recommendations for a bike.

Cheers! M2

Well my dad is finally warming to the idea of me getting a bike.

My question now is, are sport bikes not good for long trips?

Good luck, just realize that riding, much like flying, is serious business and can bite you at any time. Wear good gear (leather), take the MSF safety course, get your license, and keep your head on a swivel. Pretend like you are invisible to other drivers, because you are!

I've driven as long as 3.5 on my CBR F4i and it was pretty uncomfortable. I was ready to sell that bike after the first few days because of the seat but got used to it. There are aftermarket seats you can by too. If you're looking for a comfy sporty bike, the Suzuki Katana has a great seat and would be perfect for a beginner. I do not recommend you go out and by a full up sport bike like a GSXR or R1. Buy something used that you don't mind dropping (it will happen) and if you get tired of it, resale it and upgrade. Bikes hold their value really well.

Good luck and BE SAFE!

Well I'm shipping down to Embry-Riddle next year and I would like to have a bike to get around for a couple reasons:

1. Screw cars

2. Mileage

3. I love bikes.

I want a bike that I can ride for long distances without having to visit the chiropractor every week, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, and is affordable.

Is there such a bike, or should I lower my expectations in one or more areas?

Good luck, just realize that riding, much like flying, is serious business and can bite you at any time. Wear good gear (leather), take the MSF safety course, get your license, and keep your head on a swivel. Pretend like you are invisible to other drivers, because you are!

I've driven as long as 3.5 on my CBR F4i and it was pretty uncomfortable. I was ready to sell that bike after the first few days because of the seat but got used to it. There are aftermarket seats you can by too. If you're looking for a comfy sporty bike, the Suzuki Katana has a great seat and would be perfect for a beginner. I do not recommend you go out and by a full up sport bike like a GSXR or R1. Buy something used that you don't mind dropping (it will happen) and if you get tired of it, resale it and upgrade. Bikes hold their value really well.

Good luck and BE SAFE!

Is the F4i uncomfortable as far as sport bikes go?

I want a bike that I can ride for long distances without having to visit the chiropractor every week, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, and is affordable.

Is there such a bike, or should I lower my expectations in one or more areas?

For aprox. $3,300, I got a:

$2300 2005 Ninja 250, with 3400 miles (Buy used, as a new rider, you will mess up at least once. I already dropped mine :bash: )

$500 insurance policy

$160 helmet

$160 jacket

$140 pants

$60 gloves

$90 for license and title (I'm not entirely sure of this number)

Things I still need to buy: Battery Tender ($40) for winter, a reflective vest for night/base driving ($40), and a tank bag ($53).

Just my numbers so that you can know what to expect.

It's not a cruiser, but it doesn't hurt my back much at all.

like m2 said it depends on the rider. the only way u'll know is by sitting on one.

i know i'm 6'2" with freakishly long legs so every sportbike i sit on isn't very comfortable. there are two different F4i seats depending on the year. but the newer F4i's with the banana seat is comfortable to be. i haven't rode one for 3.5hrs.

i ride a 03' kawi zx6r(636) and that thing is uncomfortable for me after 30ish minutes of riding (excluding twisties). i just suck it up and deal with it. i've still been able to do 200-300mile one way trips on it.

Initially, I plan on riding this bike from Pittsburgh to Daytona Beach, which is a 14-16 hours total trip.

That's probably not a good idea, especially for a beginner like me, but I want to give it a go.

Any trips after that won't be that long.

Edited by PaddyPilot

Like mentioned earlier - I'd stay away from the pure sport bikes. I'm not a sport bike guy (I gotta have some dirt in my diet), but I've heard many accomplished riders rave about the Suzuki SV-650 for beginners:

SV650SAK8.jpg

They're relatively affordable, great motor (reliable, easy maintenance, beginner friendly power curve, etc), and hold their value pretty well (if you buy used that is). The newer ones are also available with ABS - something I think every beginner should have.

If you want more touring and a more upright seating position, take a look at the Suzuki DL650, V-Strom:

DL650AK9.jpg

It's the same motor as the SV (tuned to provide more power down low -vs- revving like it's sport brother), but it's got a more comfy seat, bigger windshield, and all sorts of options for luggage for your longer trips. I know guys that ride these V-Stroms for days on end - that'd be the bike to take to Alaska from CONUS.. You can also get ABS on that bike too...

It's been said before, and I'll say it again - BUY USED!!! You WILL drop the bike if you've never ridden before. You should be able to pick up either of those bikes, ride it for a couple years to get your skill level up, and sell it without taking a hit...

Initially, I plan on riding this bike from Pittsburgh to Daytona Beach, which is a 14-16 hours total trip.

That's probably not a good idea, especially for a beginner like me, but I want to give it a go.

Any trips after that won't be that long.

Dude, two words for you Monkey Butt!

Get the powder it really works for long trips. http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.html

post-4884-1219092198_thumb.jpg

Edited by budderbar

For any rides of that distance, you're gonna want an engine of at least 600cc-750cc, especially since most of that is I-95...I've driven that numerous times and that is a helluva ride no matter what you are on! Break it down to 2-3 days at a minimum, especially considering your inexperience.

A more upright seating posting means you are beaten by the wind, so that shortens your riding day. A crouched position kills your back, knees and wrists after a while, so once again your day is shortened. A Gold Wing would do it, but you won't want one of those. They are Civics with two wheels.

Also, be very careful of Florida drivers! They will kill you! I grew up and went to school down there, and although that was a long time ago I still get back on occassion and they don't drive any better. And the first time you ride your motorcycle with a drop of alcohol in your body, I will personally drive to Daytona and kick your ass! Use the 8-hour rule and even then apply some common sense!

Same goes for riding without a helmet, in shorts and a t-shirt, wearing flip flops, etc. You'll see an endless number of idiots doing that in Florida, but you don't want to have an accident dressed like that. And having an accident isn't a matter of 'it' but 'when.'

Best of luck, I just got my second motorcycle registered after being off the road for four years. I still have my CBR and the Jeep, so the garage is full of toys! Luckily, I have room for my guns in the house!

Cheers! M2

I just bought an 08 HD Nightrod special. I ended up getting it for 15,475 brand new from a dealership in Nashville. Saved just about 4000 by buying it from them as opposed to the local dealer down here in Helibama. Awesome bike. The stance has you hunched over a little bit so I am not sure how it will be on really long trips, but I have had it a week and have damn near put about 600 miles on it between getting it back from nashville and driving it to work. It is a sick looking bike for sure!

post-1518-1219105194_thumb.jpg

post-1518-1219105347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Redneck