Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

That girl actually said that she would marry me. She drove to Nashville to pick it up for me too. She is from Texas also which explains her unusual good looks...daughter of an AF O-6.

Congrats dude!

Are the boots standard in Texas? I've never seen anyone wearing cowboy boots outside of a ranch before, but I'm from Pixburgh.

I would call it pretty standard...you take time to visit a big 12 school for a football game at some point. Typical attire for the girls is a short skirt and boots. I would say that 90% of them can pull it off too.

Guest soflguy
So it is a ride supporting Autism?

Yeah, they're trying to continue their drive to raise $1M. I figured that's a good reason to go have a ride down there.

Edit: Since my last post was deleted, the ride is Sept 27 in Dallas to support autism.

Sheesh

Edited by soflguy

Guest bravodelta79

I picked up a 2002 Suzuki SV650S two weeks ago. I've put about 500 miles on it and love it. This is the first bike I've owned as I've been riding my father's H-D 1200 Sportster for a few years.

Here she is...

post-4577-1219581459_thumb.jpg

post-4577-1219581472_thumb.jpg

post-4577-1219581485_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

if you google winterizing motorcycle, i'm sure you can find several techniques people recommend. definitely get a trickle charger, or you will be buying a new battery when you go to crank it the first nice day of spring.

• 4 weeks later...

CNN's top story this morning:

cnnmarinesmotorcyclefrogc8.jpg

Story Link

Marine motorcycle deaths top their Iraq combat fatalities

From Larry Shaughnessy

CNN Pentagon Producer

QUANTICO, Virginia (CNN) -- Motorcycle accidents have killed more Marines in the past 12 months than enemy fire in Iraq, a rate that's so alarming it has prompted top brass to call a meeting to address the issue, officials say.

Twenty-five Marines have died in motorcycle crashes since last November -- all but one of them involving sport bikes that can reach speeds of well over 100 mph, according to Marine officials. In that same period, 20 Marines have been killed in action in Iraq.

The 25 deaths are the highest motorcycle death toll ever for the Marine Corps.

Gen. James Amos, the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, told CNN that commanders are trying to drill down on what "we need to do to help our Marines survive on these sport bikes."

"The Marines are very serious about it," he said. VideoWatch these aren't your father's Harleys »

Marine Gunnery Sgt. Art Tucker knows all too well about the dangers of sport bikes. An owner of a Kawasaki Ninja, Tucker has had two crashes, and the second one nearly killed him.

"I sustained a broken collar bone, I tore the shoulder out of the socket, I tore three ligaments in the shoulder, the rotator cuff, I broke three vertebrae," said Tucker, a drill instructor for new officers.

"The worst was a head injury I received: a bruised brain. And it caused hemorrhaging, and from that I had partial paralysis of the left leg, full paralysis of the left foot and toes, and that was for approximately six months."

Amos said he and other top Marine officials will spend half the day Monday "focusing on nothing but motorcycle issues." The commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. James Conway, and other senior leadership will attend the meeting at the Quantico, Virginia, Marine base, he said.

About 18,000 of the nearly 200,000 Marines are believed to own motorcycles, Amos said.

The Marines have taken some measures. The Marine Corps has had a long-standing policy for all Marines who ride motorcycles to take a mandatory basic riding course. More recently, it added a second training course specifically designed to train Marines who ride sport bikes.

Any Marine caught riding, even on leave, without going through the training courses faces Marine Corps punishment, officials say.

On a recent day at the Quantico training track, Marines whizzed by on their bikes.

"I think the basic rider course has been great," said Cpl. Austin Oakley. "Here, they put you in situations you want to be weary of out in that open road."

Oakley said he recently returned to the United States from Japan, and he immediately jumped at the chance to buy a sport bike. He said it's not uncommon for Marines to have motorcycle clubs within their units.

"We'll go out on rides together. Fridays for lunchtime, we'll all meet up and go to lunch," Oakley said. "When I get on my motorcycle, it's me and the motorcycle. I don't need to go fast. I don't need to do anything like that. It's just being free."

The rise in motorcycle deaths isn't confined to Marines. The Navy says it's had 33 deaths on motorcycles over the past 12 months -- a 65 percent jump from the previous time period. And authorities say motorcycle deaths have been a problem in the civilian world, too.

Military officials say they're not sure why the deaths are on the rise. They initially believed the accidents might involve mostly young Marines and sailors around 18 or 19 years old. But Navy statistics show that five of the victims were 25, the most prevalent of any age involved in the crashes. And two 40-year-old sailors were killed in motorcycle crashes.

Gen. Amos said the Marines have seen a similar trend.

But he says the new training seems to be working: Of the 300 young men and women who have gone through the sport-bike course, only three have had accidents.

The safety course instructors said some Marines who go through the training decide the sport bike is not for them.

But even some Marines who've survived past crashes still want to ride again, even after they get the new training.

"I enjoy it," said Tucker. "I can actually get on my motorcycle and ride, and it's just like if I were to do bowling or rock climbing or scuba diving. It's something for me. It relaxes me."

I realize that story is USMC specific, but you can be sure all the services will react...

Get ready for the safety briefing/counseling/etc $h!t-Storm!!!

Just in time before I take my 2-year ERC refresher on Monday.... :rock:

I just bought an 08 HD Nightrod special. I ended up getting it for 15,475 brand new from a dealership in Nashville. Saved just about 4000 by buying it from them as opposed to the local dealer down here in Helibama. Awesome bike. The stance has you hunched over a little bit so I am not sure how it will be on really long trips, but I have had it a week and have damn near put about 600 miles on it between getting it back from nashville and driving it to work. It is a sick looking bike for sure!

Redneck and others,

My wife just proved to me that she is in fact the most perfect woman in the world. Not only does she love firearms, but she just entertained the option for "us" to get a couple of motorcycles. Now here's the questions:

1) How's the Nightrod treating you? I am looking at the '09 Musclerod and am a little worried about the ride/comfort. I'm also a new rider and wonder if it'll be too much to learn on.

2) Does your ol'lady ride? If so what does she ride. We looked at the HD Fat Bob and the Sportster 1200 Custom, she liked the feel of the custom the best.

3) We love HD, but love the $ of other similar bikes. Does anyone recommend anything else like the Suzuki Boulevard Series?

4) Is the HD maintenance track record rumor true that they will be in the shop the most vs. others?

I think that's it for now. We are taking our time trying to make the right choice. This will probably turn into a "congrats on her finishing school and me finishing UPT" gift in a little over a year. I am stoked though!

As it turns out I go through women like some people on here go through crayons, but to answer your questions...

1) I have loved every bit of the Nightrod. I have owned it since August I believe and I have almost 3000 miles on it. I have taken quite a few 2.5 hour rides and ride it to work just about everyday...you have got to love the weather in the south. As far as comfort, I would say it is comfortable...it is smooth, but I would think they are several other models out there that are more comfortable. I don't have a problem with it what so ever...flying the Huey hurts my back way more than the bike does.

2) That is awesome that she wants to ride with you. If she wants to ride a Harley there are a lot of options in the sportster world...have you looked at the nightster? Pretty sharp and it would match a nightrod pretty well. Sits a little lower for her as well. There are also a lot of other options from yamaha, etc. that she could like...and may be a cheaper option in case she drops it or something...you know women and their smaller brains...its science. J/k.

3) Again, there are plenty of options regarding other bikes...I don't think the Suzuki rides are that much cheaper, but I may be thinking of Victory bikes. Head out to the dealerships and look around and find what you really like.

4) I don't remember what this question was so I will just add some more opinions...I would always start with ebay and then looking at stuff like motorcycle trader. I was able to save almost 4000 over what the local HD dealership was going to sell the bike for because I looked online and found another HD dealership in Nashville that was selling a nicer, still brand new model for almost 4000 cheaper. So definitely do your shopping...there is nothing wrong with buying a slightly used one off of ebay either...Dude in my class here at Rucker bought a Nightster off of ebay and it is in perfect condition...only problem he ran into was the cheaper shipping company he used took forever to get it to him.

Hope this helps...if you have any more questions let me know!

Edited by Redneck

I know the feeling with women...I went through an ex-fiance and an ex-wife before I found the right one. I appreciate all of the good words, we love the HD but have found a great deal at the Honda shop. '06 VTX 1800 N (still new) for $9k and an '07 Shadow Aero for $6300. I'm trying to figure out if we start there or start with the HD. I'm torn between love and money, typical!

I've got a bud that just started at Rucker, big tall goofy ol'BUFF guy. He goes by Muddy, track him down and say hey for me. Thanks again for the help.

I know the feeling with women...I went through an ex-fiance and an ex-wife before I found the right one. I appreciate all of the good words, we love the HD but have found a great deal at the Honda shop. '06 VTX 1800 N (still new) for $9k and an '07 Shadow Aero for $6300. I'm trying to figure out if we start there or start with the HD. I'm torn between love and money, typical!

I've got a bud that just started at Rucker, big tall goofy ol'BUFF guy. He goes by Muddy, track him down and say hey for me. Thanks again for the help.

AMF

With those initials, you'll want to stay away from the Harleys!

Seriously, as a Honda man, I think you'd be better off with one of those deals. Not only are they half the price of an H-D, but they are better engineered. And before anyone tries to flame me about motorcycles, I have been around them for over 35 years and worked in a motorcycle shop during my youth.

In addition to the 2005 Repsol I posted pics of earlier, I've had a 1991 Honda ST1100 since new, and it still runs strong. It looks similar to this, but I have a Corbin seat and a ClearView Sportshield on mine...

st1100.jpg

I had it in Germany for four years and Belgium for three, and it has been up and down and across Europe on several occassions. It was designed by Honda Germany and is tailor made for comfortable, long-distance high-speed runs down the autobahn. My favorite ride was a multi-nation week-and-a-half Alpine tour in late 1995. I have a picture from the top of Passo dello Stelvio, the highest pass in the Italian Alps, that still hangs in my office. If anyone gets a chance to ride the Alps on a motorcycle, I would highly recommend it. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I hope to repeat one day!

Cheers! M2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest r6pilot

I'm headed to Laughlin in June and I took the MSF course a couple years ago for my license. I just called MSF Ohio to get a replacement card to prove I took/passed it. Anyone know what their regs are for recurrency or anything of those sorts?

AMF

With those initials, you'll want to stay away from the Harleys!

It has been almost 28 years since AMF owned H-D. They have come a long way since the shovelhead and ironhead motors. I used to have an '02 FXDX that was friggen awesome. I currently own a Honda. My next bike will be either a Victory or a Harley-Davidson.

Guest J-Bones
I'm headed to Laughlin in June and I took the MSF course a couple years ago for my license. I just called MSF Ohio to get a replacement card to prove I took/passed it. Anyone know what their regs are for recurrency or anything of those sorts?

R6 pilot - I don't know if AETC is different from AMC but I have not been required to attend any referesher training. I took the advanced rider course in conjunction with the sport bike course in 04' (03 CBR 954). Just keep the cards with you so you can get on base without a decal (decals still required for motorcycles). The Air Force guidance is AFI 91-207 and can be found on the AF E-pubs site.

Guest soflguy
R6 pilot - I don't know if AETC is different from AMC but I have not been required to attend any referesher training. I took the advanced rider course in conjunction with the sport bike course in 04' (03 CBR 954). Just keep the cards with you so you can get on base without a decal (decals still required for motorcycles). The Air Force guidance is AFI 91-207 and can be found on the AF E-pubs site.

AETC doesn't require a refresher. As long as you keep a card on you, you're golden.

Guest uptsdnt
AETC doesn't require a refresher. As long as you keep a card on you, you're golden.

Yeah, as long as you take the basic rider course, have your motorcycle endorsement on your DL, and have proof of current reg and insurance on your bike, you should be good.

Take the advanced rider course ASAP though. I just took it here on base for free last weekend. 5 hours, and then you are golden. Never expires either. I have never had to show anything other than my ID though at the front gate when coming on base. I wonder if that is going to change any time soon here. That is enough of a pain in the ass to take care of anyways.

Anyone have any quick and easy ways to show ID and then get rolling right away when on the bike? I am always fumbling around to salute the gate gaurd and get my ID back in my wallet when going through the main gate...especially when there are cars behind me waiting to get in.

It has been almost 28 years since AMF owned H-D. They have come a long way since the shovelhead and ironhead motors. I used to have an '02 FXDX that was friggen awesome. I currently own a Honda. My next bike will be either a Victory or a Harley-Davidson.

You can thank the Germans for that, they are the ones that re-engineered H-D's motors for them...