Military Posers

Guest Fred

Guest hockeymv

It seems like these guys do a pretty good job. I just ran into some guys that were Belgian and Australian commando re-enactors at an even in Norfolk a few years ago. They were Americans, but pretending to be our allies. Cool, I guess, but here's the funny part:

They were arguing over who's unit was tougher, who had tougher training, etc. At first it was just a discussion, but they really got into it! I felt like I was watching an Army Navy AF Marine service battle. Except most of those people had some sort of service records. These guys were just talking about pretend and what they read in books. I just shook my head and walked away..

They did have some cool vintage weapons, though, so it wasn't a total wash.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have to admit the one thing about the Belgian re-enactors were that a lot of them didn't speak any English, so even though they looked a lot like Americans, the fact that they were blabbing to each other in French kinda ruined the whole thing. Of course those who did speak English cussed a lot, and spit, so those guys were pretty authentic looking!

What was really odd was that I talked to a US Army guy who was a re-enactor, and when I asked his buddy if he was also an American, he replied back to me in German. I guess there wasn't a big desire to dress up as a German at the Bastogne ceremonies! Another American I met was a US Army Colonel in real life, but was dressed as a WWII infantry captain. I wasn't sure if I had to salute him, or if he had to salute me!*

Cheers! M2

* - Just for clarity, we were encouraged to do the march in BDUs. The locals really liked that we did so.

• 2 months later...
Guest AfterburnerDecalsScott
IMHO war reinactors are the biggest dorks on the planet. If you like the military so much, why not join it? I mean I respect they don't wear medals that they haven't earned, But they wear jump wings and haven't earned those. Check out the "1stSgt" with his little Airborne tab, classic
Dunno....I think model geeks are. I have a constant running battle with my district chief who is a Civil War renactor as to who is the biggest dork. He is convinced that he is, but my contention is that he gets a giant musket to shoot, and there's all this marching and camping....and thats tons more cool than airpalne models. Neither of us are as cool as Trekkies however. You have to respect a dude who speaks Klingon, huh?

Guest Wxpunk
You have to respect a dude who speaks Klingon, huh?
Absolutely! Make sure you put that on your next resume and see how it works out for ya.

-----------

Wxpunk

OK folks,

For you old timers, I am re-posting this clown's post from 1 year ago. Not just a wannabe, but a CAP Poser too!

-----RE-POST BELOW---------- (Nov 2004)

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is 1LT Brogan Steele, and I am a United States Air Force Auxillary mission pilot. Our organization is also known as the Civil Air Patrol, and I'd love to talk to you all about some of the flying opportunities within the Auxillary. I've been very fortunate in my time in the CAP thus far. I am a member of a very aggressive SAR unit (Search And Rescue) that is on-call for operations 24/7/365. I am not too sure I'll release the name of my unit due to OPSEC (Operational Security) concerns, but lets just say we're one of the better-known units around the country. Because of the aggressive nature of our unit, the commitment required by its members is on par with even some active duty units.. We may be the CIVIL Air Patrol, but let me tell you, that "civil" mentality is checked on my bedroom floor as soon as I don my flight suit when I get the alert call. When we get scrambled to do a search, I picture myself as a "Soft Sandy", of course not armed with bullets, but with the tools to save lives. We provide Close Air Support (CAS) to ground forces conducting the operation in close proximity to the target area (the assumed crash site).

If you're a pilot, and you'd be interested in this type of flying, please let me know. I know there may be some other active-duty Sandy pilots on the forum who can relate to this type of flying, and I'd be glad to answer your questions if they can't. The Auxillary provides me with a great feeling of accomplishment as our mission is directly related to the safety of the Homeland. I share a great feeling of comraderie with the other rated pilots on this board, and for those looking to join our fraternity, the opportunities certainly exist and will come to fruition with hard work and persistence.

Great to "meet" you all!...great board here. Cheers!

1LT Brogan Steele

-----------------------------

Guest thebronze
Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is 1LT Brogan Steele, and I am a United States Air Force Auxillary mission pilot. Our organization is also known as the Civil Air Patrol, and I'd love to talk to you all about some of the flying opportunities within the Auxillary. I've been very fortunate in my time in the CAP thus far. I am a member of a very aggressive SAR unit (Search And Rescue) that is on-call for operations 24/7/365. I am not too sure I'll release the name of my unit due to OPSEC (Operational Security) concerns, but lets just say we're one of the better-known units around the country. Because of the aggressive nature of our unit, the commitment required by its members is on par with even some active duty units.. We may be the CIVIL Air Patrol, but let me tell you, that "civil" mentality is checked on my bedroom floor as soon as I don my flight suit when I get the alert call. When we get scrambled to do a search, I picture myself as a "Soft Sandy", of course not armed with bullets, but with the tools to save lives. We provide Close Air Support (CAS) to ground forces conducting the operation in close proximity to the target area (the assumed crash site).

If you're a pilot, and you'd be interested in this type of flying, please let me know. I know there may be some other active-duty Sandy pilots on the forum who can relate to this type of flying, and I'd be glad to answer your questions if they can't. The Auxillary provides me with a great feeling of accomplishment as our mission is directly related to the safety of the Homeland. I share a great feeling of comraderie with the other rated pilots on this board, and for those looking to join our fraternity, the opportunities certainly exist and will come to fruition with hard work and persistence.

Great to "meet" you all!...great board here. Cheers!

1LT Brogan Steele

What a freaking tool...

Has it been a year already? Where has the time gone? After reading that "Steele" post again, I wonder if he and Frosty have any relation? Maybe they kick it out side the Circle K and talk shop over a Big Gulp.

Guest NU lax

Thanks for the repost.

I wasn't around for the original post but I am glad I had a chance to see it. That was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. LT Steele is a BAD ASS!

I tried a google search on his name to see what else pop up. Probably not a coincidence that two of the first four were about some dungeons and dragons type game with dwarfs. That was a pretty funny resulting thread, particularly about the OPSEC and him calling himself a sandy.

I don't know what you're all talking about. It sounds like a challenging and rewarding job, this "aggressive SAR." If things don't pan out for me in the AD rescue world, I think I'll probably give him a call. Then I will poke holes in my lungs with a pencil until it all goes away. I was laying low in phase 2 of UPT when this thread came out and don't remember it, but it's typical of an idiot (SPN-type) just trying to get a reaction out of as many people as possible, and it looks like he sure got one. And here the reaction continues. Hopefully, somewhere and somehow, he's been thrashed severely for his insolence.

Guest THE10MAN

I gotta believe that was actually somebody who knew what he was doing when he posted that...he knew it would raise the mother of all sh!tstorms, and all us suckers (me included) fell for it. Oh man, there were some awesome replies...some of them were nearly as good as the original post!

Guest skipplet
Originally posted by Awol55:

God has it been a year??

Damn, I still laughed out loud when I reread that.

Yeah, I didn't even realize it'd been that long since Toro, HD, C17, et al. became a moderators.

Originally posted by brabus:

I tried searching, but the thread that comes up just has the original post, one small post, and then a post by Toro locking the thread...there's gotta be more to it, anyone have those replies?

He never really started a huge $hitstorm - he threw some idiotic posts in, starting with this one, which was almost a carbon copy of a post that started a flame war at the Student Pilot Network. The one where he actually got the most response was here, after which he was promptly removed.