T-6 sim time before UPT

Guest Flow777

Guest Flow777

So the academy has 3-screen static T-6 sims. Having read the 11-248, I've been trying the contact stuff (oval pattern, slow flight, stall, little bit of aerobatics, etc) in the sim. Any recommendations on what to practice in the sims since it is so limited (ie: you have to estimate where the perch is since you can't see the runway at a 45)? Any bad habits to watch out for or good ones to develop?

Thanks!

:flag_waving:

Guest thefranchise
So the academy has 3-screen static T-6 sims. Having read the 11-248, I've been trying the contact stuff (oval pattern, slow flight, stall, little bit of aerobatics, etc) in the sim. Any recommendations on what to practice in the sims since it is so limited (ie: you have to estimate where the perch is since you can't see the runway at a 45)? Any bad habits to watch out for or good ones to develop?

Thanks!

:flag_waving:

if you are able to roll off the perch at 30 bank and end up on a .25mile final, you are perching correct. Utlize the GPS and OBS the runway heading and figure out the Distance mark as well. Hell you could even start practicing the ELP stuff. learing the basic pitch & power settings would be a good start.

if you are able to roll off the perch at 30 bank and end up on a .25mile final, you are perching correct. Utlize the GPS and OBS the runway heading and figure out the Distance mark as well. Hell you could even start practicing the ELP stuff. learing the basic pitch & power settings would be a good start.

From the 11-248:

5.8.3. Procedure:

5.8.3.1. Confirm aircraft configuration prior to or at the perch.

5.8.3.2. Begin final turn (perch point) to allow for a ½ to ¾ mile final. Correct for winds. For

example, with a strong headwind on final, begin the final turn earlier than for a no-wind pattern.

Displace the perch point into the wind which is affecting the final turn to rollout on a ½ to ¾ mile

final.

As a Controller it pisses me off when a dude perches too early...it screws up the spacing for initial takeoffs that I'm trying to work in. Then you have to go-around, offest and then you'll get the "Negative Closed."

As far as the original post goes--I'd work on the basic a/c control kind of things (just flying around, some turns, climbs, descents, etc.) I'd also do some straight-ins and practice the in-flight checks as well. The more basic stuff you can do the better. We'll teach you the rest.

Also as a controller, I hate long perches more.

I guess there really can't be anything bad about practicing maneuvers in the sim...I don't know if I would waste my time.

Maybe call one of your bro's in T-6's and have them explain the flow and practice that?

The best thing you can do is know where all the switches are and link that to the checklists. Get a flow going w/ all the pre-start checks, engine start, before taxi, etc. If you can do those quickly (and by that I mean smoothly w/o missing or just skimming over something) w/o having to look at your checklist every single item, that'll help a lot. But, still refer to your checklist to ensure you didn't miss any steps or do them out of order (not as big a deal in the T-6, but definitely not a habit you want to get into, especially for airframes down the road). A good technique that works for many is to do several steps (6-9), then glance at checklist to make sure you got everything. At this point, that's more important than flying circles.

• Like 1

The sims are pretty worthless in my humble opinion for Contact stuff. I'd say the best way to utilize them would be to get ahold of the checklists and get good at those. If you get out there on your dollar ride and you get the jet running before the FUEL BAL light comes on (two minutes), the IP will probably be impressed. Other than that, the sim is awesome for instruments and emergency procedures practice.

• Like 1

Also as a controller, I hate long perches more.

Three.

But pattern stuff (or other Contact flying) is pretty lame in the sim.

Work from the foundation up: Ground ops. Get them down COLD in the sim so that the "sim to aircraft transfer" actually works. I can't tell you how many people "think" they have the ground ops down, yet get on the ramp and freeze up with all the noise, distractions, etc. Try to get stuff down so it's second nature (your hands move without you thinking about what they're doing, sts), and that's a good start.

Or...better yet: Relax and down a couple pitchers. Chase some tail. There's plenty of time for chairflying, studying, and sims in UPT.

Knowing basic switchology and ground ops is the best at this point. Maybe reviewing systems General Knowledge and any NUMBERS you can think of no matter how ridiculous you think it is....tire press, oil press, boldface/ops, etc. is good too. But seriously, as anxious as you are, don't burn yourself out too early. B/c you WILL get burned out and not like the T6 anymore, they make it that way....UPT is a marathon, enjoy the time you have in academics and just pick the stuff to stress about or you'll burn out quick. No matter how far ahead you think you are before even starting, you'll only have like one or 2 days advantage, people move quick and they'll catch up, so ask yourself if its really worth it.

As previously mentioned, a rudimentary sim such as this one reaally provides you the best training in habit patterns such as ground ops, checklist procedures, radio calls, and instrument scan.

Since you are yet to begin UPT, it is risky to try and memorize checklist procedures that may or may not be correct... since it would all be 2nd and 3rd hand information instead of directly from your IPs.

I concur the best thing to do is familiarize yourself with ground ops, and recognition/use of your instruments and gages. Knowing how to do an engine start or preflight your radios is a worthy goal. I agree, no need to stress out over this - plenty of time in UPT to do that.

Once you get to UPT its a different story - the sims and CFTs are invaluable to knock out your habit patterns (all pattern radio calls, verbalizations, cross-checks, etc. De'parture procedures, how to get to the area, entry and exit, etc.). But pre-UPT would be hard to work on any of these...