Advice on running/jogging

Guest Tertle

I asked a friend of mine, who happens to be an Orthopedic Surgeon, about running. His advice is don't do it and has made a very, very good living replacing knees and hips of ex-runners.

What would be his advice for a replacement exercise?

I have always run a lot and have been doing high-intensity workouts (specifically the leg portions of P90X and Insanity) for about five years, but even at my fairly young age I'm starting to feel the wear on my joints and knees.

My dad and granddad were both big runners, and paid the serious consequences when they hit the age of 45 or so... Doctors basically told them to cease all running and my dad almost had issues with his civilian flying medical because of his back.

What would your OS friend say about bicycling as a substitute (as in road bikes or road racing)?

I feel like it has to be better on your knees and back, and probably gives similar exercise gains compared to running?

What would your OS friend say about bicycling as a substitute (as in road bikes or road racing)?

I feel like it has to be better on your knees and back, and probably gives similar exercise gains compared to running?

Road cycling is how I met him but didn't know he was a doctor. He routinely encourages his patients to take up cycling in place of running. He'd also suggest cycling to patients with back or leg problems due to weight problems to avoid surgery, if at all possible. If we had a slower paced ride planned, it was not uncommon for him to loan a bike to a patient and have them ride a little with us.

I used to be a big runner and then started cycling. It is a lot easier on the joints and great anerobic exercise.

Edited by TreeA10

I'm pretty sure just 1 gets you a perfect score on the Fitness Test, BTZ promotion, and choice of assignments.

"Yeah, well one is all ya need" - JB

I used to be a big runner and then started cycling. It is a lot easier on the joints and great anerobic exercise.

That's where I'm hoping to head after this next marathon... I would still love to work up to Boston, but don't know if I'll ever get there.

I don't want to hijack a running thread, but any advice on a decent starter bike under about $500-600? I'm not willing to jump right in on the $2,000+ stuff until I know both what I want and what I'm doing...

I don't want to hijack a running thread, but any advice on a decent starter bike under about $500-600? I'm not willing to jump right in on the $2,000+ stuff until I know both what I want and what I'm doing...

Figure out what size you need. You can Google bike fit computer and find out what/how to measure or go to a bike shop that can do it. The bike should fit you, not the other way around. Screw this up and you will develope strange aches and pains in the knees, hips, lower back, neck and you will be miserable until you get a fitting done. Cycling causes enough suffering without adding to it.

A "decent bike" in that price range might prove tricky. Craigs List or Ebay might have something. You might find a frame/fork and then could build up from there. As a starting position, I'd recommend mid-range components from Shimano, like 105, or Campagnolo, like Chorus. Regarding cycling components/frames/wheels, they can be light, cheap, or strong. Pick two. Check out Bikesdirect.com for a range of bikes/prices.

Find a group to ride with and start small/slow.

I'm pretty sure just 1 gets you a perfect score on the Fitness Test, BTZ promotion, and choice of assignments.

Negative. That would be the case if flyers still owned the AF. Instead, the shoes have banded together to ban all forms of cock push ups so that those unable won't feel like less of a "warrior."