Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
torqued

NAVY crash in Virginia

Recommended Posts

Pretty sure they don’t have ejection seats; bailout only.

Glad they all made it!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BFM this said:

Pretty sure they don’t have ejection seats; bailout only.

Glad they all made it!

 

That’s 100% more bailout capability than the E-3G 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BFM this said:

Pretty sure they don’t have ejection seats; bailout only.

Glad they all made it!

 

0 seats that go bang.

Bail-out procedure is: Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door.

Except you can only half-way stand up in the back.  There's no hook-up, just remember to pull after exiting. The bail-out/main entry door is between flight deck and crew compartment.

If the emergency happens quick, not many, if any get out.  

If it's somewhat controlled, then it's possible, but not a sure-thing.

 

If they experience a cold cat, they try to escape via hatches over the two pilots and one in the back.  Before 100,000 tons of steaming steel runs you over.

 

As for the E-3, cost savings, baby!  Think how much cash is saved by not having all those 'chutes (that the chairs were designed to hold and suck as regular seats) and all that extraneous life support shop.

Edited by brickhistory
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

As for the E-3, cost savings, baby!  Think how much cash is saved by not having all those 'chutes (that the chairs were designed to hold and suck as regular seats) and all that extraneous life support shop.

Putting a cabinet on the bailout chute quite literally sealed the deal

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, brickhistory said:

As for the E-3, cost savings, baby!  Think how much cash is saved by not having all those 'chutes (that the chairs were designed to hold and suck as regular seats) and all that extraneous life support shop.

An old wives tale I heard several times (that sounds reasonable) is that there were several tests/simulations done on the E-3 (prior to the "G" mod) that involved chucking a dummy out of the bailout chute. It took the first dummy or 2 (insert ABM joke here) to clean off all of the radio antennas before the rest could successfully get out. 

Brick - if I remember you were involved with the E-3 from the MX side from back in the day... any thoughts on the validity? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, abmwaldo said:

An old wives tale I heard several times (that sounds reasonable) is that there were several tests/simulations done on the E-3 (prior to the "G" mod) that involved chucking a dummy out of the bailout chute. It took the first dummy or 2 (insert ABM joke here) to clean off all of the radio antennas before the rest could successfully get out. 

Brick - if I remember you were involved with the E-3 from the MX side from back in the day... any thoughts on the validity? 

Wow, MX?  Really?  Do I look like I work for a living?  I was ops, baby.  961st @ RODN.

As to the "old wives tale, (which is both sexist, ageist, and decidely privileged of you...20 lashes and some reparations oughtta do it...), I've not  heard it about the E-3.  I've heard it re the many flavors of RJ's with all their protruberances, but not the E-3.  It's always someone else's jet that sucks, not your own...

Story I heard was that back in the 1960s/1970s when E-3 was originally designed and fielded, everybody that flew it or in it had male genitalia because it was a "combat" aircraft and those with female genitalia weren't allowed in combat.  This was a true statement for being a missileer as well (ask me how I know...).

Fast forward, to the 1980s when women became a "thing," and it was politically untenable for Big Blue to put women in combat or on such coded airplanes.  Viola, combat support it is for everyone!  And since it wasn't a combat-coded jet, the thousands of parachutes that formerly were carried in the oh-so-comfortable hollowed out bolt-upright seats designed to put a back parachute in were deleted along with the life support for same.  Big dollar savings for Big Blue as well.  I'm not sure when the ashtrays were finally pulled.

So if that's the case, why do E-3 and E-8 (also me at one time) have to go through survival training?  If there's no way out voluntarily in an emergency, then the chances of surviving a non-8,000 ft gear down landing are slim at best.  Seems like even more money could be saved, but I digress.

Anyway, that's the story I was told by the old guys of my day.  So since I'm a really old guy now, they may have been around when it happened.  YMMV.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

I'm not sure when the ashtrays were finally pulled.

pilot seats still have em 🙂

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

So if that's the case, why do E-3 and E-8 (also me at one time) have to go through survival training?  If there's no way out voluntarily in an emergency, then the chances of surviving a non-8,000 ft gear down landing are slim at best.  Seems like even more money could be saved, but I digress.

They are cutting down how long SERE is now FYI.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

pilot seats still have em 🙂

 

I wouldn't know.  We were always forbidden to look behind the curtain and gaze upon the great and powerful flightdeck people.

I assumed it was an opening the Arc of the Covenant kind of a thing...

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

I wouldn't know.  We were always forbidden to look behind the curtain and gaze upon the great and powerful flightdeck people.

I assumed it was an opening the Arc of the Covenant kind of a thing...

 

 

Sir join me up here anytime, I’ll have you sign my copies of Magnum and Beaufighters 

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh.....THE Navy!

Hot Shots! (1991)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

Sir join me up here anytime, I’ll have you sign my copies of Magnum and Beaufighters 

 

So you're the one who bought a copy.  I always wondered who that was...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...