Baseops Forums
Lifer

AD to Reserves with Disability/Sleep Apnea

Currently AD and diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and considering going guard/reserve. Going through an MEB which I was told wouldn’t be an issue for me to “pass”. Would a Sleep Apnea diagnosis or a disability rating associated with it (if there is one) prevent me from going guard/reserve? Considering not taking continuation to 20 but don’t want to find myself not in AD and not be able to go guard/reserve. 

Edited by Lifer

How did you get diagnosed? Did you self-identify? Do a sleep study?

Do you have a second opinion? You can petition to get things out of your medical record...but as it stands, an MEB discharge will probably keep you from serving in the AFR/ANG.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Well I don’t think I’ll be discharged from AD (fingers crossed) But was diagnosed with sleep apnea and they are doing an MEB Which i heard was standard practice for flyers. This is just what I’ve been told. With that said I’m thinking about going guard/reserves and deny continuation to 20 in AD but don’t want to find out afterwards that the guard/reserve won’t take me. Any help is appreciated. 

I can tell you the FAA will be very reluctant to give you even a third class medical unless you can show a solid year of CPAP machine logs showing you use it all night pretty much every night.

I’ve been asking units the same thing for about a year. And the short answer i keep getting is “no.” This is a terrible time to go ANG/AFRC with ANY medical issues. It’s all about deployability and the “deploy or get out” is alive and well even for the TFI bredren.

But i’m also not rated. If you’re rated, i’d be willing to bet most units will work with you with an ALC. A hard medical separation is in my experiences/research impossible to go ANG/AFRC.

An update for those who read this and in a similar situation. My MEB paperwork came back already and I will be medical coded to require reliable electricity due to sleep apnea and they flight docs are working a waiver to return me to fly. I spoke to a guard unit recruiter and they sent me paperwork for me to sign that will release my medical records to their flight docs who will review my medical records, waivers etc and will make a determination if they will take me or not. I’ll keep everyone posted on what they say. I do know a friend who coded to not be able to deploy at all and tried to get into a UPT reserve unit who was denied due to not being able to deploy.