Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stuckindayton

Change to Air Force Color Vision Policy

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fly4five said:

Are we able to pull up our waivers in the portal somewhere? Or see the status of new waivers being submitted?

No, waivers are recorded in a website called AIMWTS.  It is a portal application, but I presume access is limited to the medical folks and waiver authority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, thestratotanker said:

Do you have a link to the relevant policy updates / memorandums?

Here's the new policy.  Sorry, I realize this is a month old, but I didn't get the notification that you asked the question until yesterday.

 

image.thumb.png.be168c8824107a18a28fabacc7a4741b.png

image.thumb.png.bb6a85a7af6c60472ff101b6d0fb428f.png

Edited by stuckindayton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuckindayton,

Tried to PM you.  I was DQed back in 2010 for not meeting the 75 green CCT standard, but above 55 (65ish).  I was given an indefinite FCIII waiver.  Diagnosis was for an inherited green weak color vision deficiency.  I’ve continued to take the CCT with my annual PHA.

 

The majority of my CCT scores during PHAs are above 55, with the occasional outlier below. Could you elaborate on how they are testing at Wright Patt?

 

Is it a “one a done” ie one test below 55 and the member gets DQed or are they working with an overall diagnosis as long as the member can pass the CCT above 55?

Jake

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jake_65_65 said:

Stuckindayton,

Tried to PM you.  I was DQed back in 2010 for not meeting the 75 green CCT standard, but above 55 (65ish).  I was given an indefinite FCIII waiver.  Diagnosis was for an inherited green weak color vision deficiency.  I’ve continued to take the CCT with my annual PHA.

 

The majority of my CCT scores during PHAs are above 55, with the occasional outlier below. Could you elaborate on how they are testing at Wright Patt?

 

Is it a “one a done” ie one test below 55 and the member gets DQed or are they working with an overall diagnosis as long as the member can pass the CCT above 55?

Jake

 

Try another PM.  My box was full.  I've asked for more space without any luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Try another PM.  My box was full.  I've asked for more space without any luck.

Admin Comment:  I cannot find any way to increase the max number of messages (50), recommend you do some housecleaning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M2 said:

Admin Comment:  I cannot find any way to increase the max number of messages (50), recommend you do some housecleaning...

OK, I asked, but no response so I figured the answer was no.  i'll use the delete function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stuckindayton,

Seams like your mailbox is full again because I wasn't able to DM you.  I was DQ'd for red/green deficiency at LA AFB before I got to the comprehensive screening at Wright Patt back in 2013.  I don't remember the exact numeric score but I know I was 1 slide away from passing because the nurse let me retake it several times for being right on the line.  I would like to start the process of initiating a waiver so that I can start talking to some Reserve and ANG flying squadrons.  Should I try to dig up the scores for the test I took back in 2013 or should I work through a potential hiring squadron to schedule a retest? 

Luke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2019 at 3:29 PM, oka nieba said:

Has their been an update since 2019 ?

No, standard is still 55 or better for each eye / all colors with the exception of MOD which can go down to 35.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Took the CCT twice as a cadet (R: 45 red, 70 green, 95 blue L: 45 red, 85 green, 95 blue) so I was obviously well out of limits and did not even try for a waiver/ETP anything. The flight medicine folks at USAFA let me try again and I scored (R: 45 red, 90 green, 100 blue L: 55 red, 100 green, 100 blue), so I got better and (now) within limits for everything except right-red. These tests were in 2014, since then I have had LASIK (done at USAFA) and the reg has changed. If I go in to try and get a FC1 now are they going to look back at my old cadet scores or will they test me again? I will go to Peterson to have the physical completed. I tried harder and improved last time, so maybe I can squeak out a little more!

For those interested, to score better on the CCT take it as early in the day as you can. I took mine at 6:47AM. I walked to the clinic in the dark and tried to rest my eyes as much as I could. Older brother (Viper Test guy) said eating a bunch of chocolate before the test will help (probably not scientifically, but i was definitely less sad afterwards). Also, apparently you can practice on the machine (Innova ProVideo CCT Plus at USAFA) before you take it! I did not know this, but I would take advantage of that.

-D. Bell 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, pvbell said:

Hello,

Took the CCT twice as a cadet (R: 45 red, 70 green, 95 blue L: 45 red, 85 green, 95 blue) so I was obviously well out of limits and did not even try for a waiver/ETP anything. The flight medicine folks at USAFA let me try again and I scored (R: 45 red, 90 green, 100 blue L: 55 red, 100 green, 100 blue), so I got better and (now) within limits for everything except right-red. These tests were in 2014, since then I have had LASIK (done at USAFA) and the reg has changed. If I go in to try and get a FC1 now are they going to look back at my old cadet scores or will they test me again? I will go to Peterson to have the physical completed. I tried harder and improved last time, so maybe I can squeak out a little more!

For those interested, to score better on the CCT take it as early in the day as you can. I took mine at 6:47AM. I walked to the clinic in the dark and tried to rest my eyes as much as I could. Older brother (Viper Test guy) said eating a bunch of chocolate before the test will help (probably not scientifically, but i was definitely less sad afterwards). Also, apparently you can practice on the machine (Innova ProVideo CCT Plus at USAFA) before you take it! I did not know this, but I would take advantage of that.

-D. Bell 16

Hey man, I was in the exact some spot out of USAFA minus the Lasik.  Failed the CCT 9 times.  Went unrated obviously.  Went back to flight med, retook, passed.  They made me take it again, passed it again.  Proved I was no longer color blind which obviously makes no sense.  Point being, as long as you show you can pass consistently now, that's all that should matter.  I now have a stamped FC1 and a guard fighter spot.  If a Doc gives you lip about retesting, don't take it.  Make it happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BigCat said:

Hey man, I was in the exact some spot out of USAFA minus the Lasik.  Failed the CCT 9 times.  Went unrated obviously.  Went back to flight med, retook, passed.  They made me take it again, passed it again.  Proved I was no longer color blind which obviously makes no sense.  Point being, as long as you show you can pass consistently now, that's all that should matter.  I now have a stamped FC1 and a guard fighter spot.  If a Doc gives you lip about retesting, don't take it.  Make it happen.

Hey guys,

 

I failed the CCT in 2017 in rotc with a 50 for green. Applied for the active duty board last year and passed the CCT. Initially they approved my physical, but then DQ’ed me because I had scored a 50 in rotc. I would love some help getting past that. I’m literally fighting it right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, UPTApplicant 102 said:

Hey guys,

 

I failed the CCT in 2017 in rotc with a 50 for green. Applied for the active duty board last year and passed the CCT. Initially they approved my physical, but then DQ’ed me because I had scored a 50 in rotc. I would love some help getting past that. I’m literally fighting it right now.

Were you denied at Wright Patt or on your initial at your base?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BigCat said:

Were you denied at Wright Patt or on your initial at your base?

I failed the color vision test in 2017 at Wright patt but passed it at my base when I got on active duty in 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking to log some hours at a local flight school... should I get a medical certificate knowing there my be complications with color vision or avoid seeing an AME and just wait to take the CCT with the AF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, BigCat said:

Hey man, I was in the exact some spot out of USAFA minus the Lasik.  Failed the CCT 9 times.  Went unrated obviously.  Went back to flight med, retook, passed.  They made me take it again, passed it again.  Proved I was no longer color blind which obviously makes no sense.  Point being, as long as you show you can pass consistently now, that's all that should matter.  I now have a stamped FC1 and a guard fighter spot.  If a Doc gives you lip about retesting, don't take it.  Make it happen.

Damn, way to persevere, and what an incredible outcome. Excellent advise for anyone that is reading! 

Ended up passing the CCT with flying colors somehow... even exceeded the mins. FC1 now sits at AETC! 

While I am here... if anybody needs advise on how to best prepare yourself for a CCT, hit me up. I have strategies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr.hailemaskel@gmail.com

Hello, I recently went in for optometry and passed everything but was told I'm mild red and moderate green color deficiency. They want me to come back in and retest with glasses on, turns out I'm far sighted.  Do you think I can get a waiver. I can see red and green well but according to the test it's not perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this thread is a somewhat dead, but I need advice. Just finished day 3 at wright-pat and was told I was DQ'd because I had a 50 on my right eye for Red for the CCT. They had me do a bunch of other color tests, and ultimatly at the end of the day said DQ. Is there anyone I can talk to, to take it again? Am I completely put of luck as far as possibly flying? I took the test late in the day and yes my eyes were tired, but not overly tired. The test was a C on the screen and you had to choose the orientation of the C and you got 4 seconds for each choice. Any advice??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that I am getting on this thread rather late, but hope that it is not too late 🙂

For some reason for the L cone on the CCT test I can see the two letters for the score of 90, but on some of the lower scores the letters are garbled. Will only the highest score seen be taken, or do you have to start from low scores and then work your way up?

My second question is regarding whether this test can be taken from any private medical offices. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 4:20 PM, jm29562 said:

I know that I am getting on this thread rather late, but hope that it is not too late 🙂

For some reason for the L cone on the CCT test I can see the two letters for the score of 90, but on some of the lower scores the letters are garbled. Will only the highest score seen be taken, or do you have to start from low scores and then work your way up?

My second question is regarding whether this test can be taken from any private medical offices. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help!

How are you testing yourself? In the CCT it will start with the easier ones and get harder as you get them correct.

You might be able to find a private office that has a CCT (rare) but those scores will not be accepted. I am actually pretty sure that scores at a standard flight med wont even be taken if they're close to the limit, or if you have failed it in the past. In that case if you do pass at your local flight med i think they'll send you to MFS at WPAFB. Not 100 percent sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Has anybody recently taken the CCT at WPAFB? If you don't get at least a 55 in each cone, how does the re-test procedure go, if at all? Are the examiners lenient or helpful at all, and do they use different methods (ishihara, falant, etc) or is it CCT pass/fail no exceptions? Yes I've read the policy.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CavGuy said:

Hi,

Has anybody recently taken the CCT at WPAFB? If you don't get at least a 55 in each cone, how does the re-test procedure go, if at all? Are the examiners lenient or helpful at all, and do they use different methods (ishihara, falant, etc) or is it CCT pass/fail no exceptions? Yes I've read the policy.

Thanks

I was deficient for Green in my left eye but still had a passing score of 60 so I'm not sure what would happen if you were lower than 55, but I had to do a battery of 4 extra color vision tests the following day just for research purposes. I imagine those may be used for further testing if you were below standards on the first day. Just make sure your eyes are well rested both days, it makes more of a difference than you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...