stract

Who has some recent gouge about Hill/Ogden, etc?  I've got a possible job opportunity there and need some vectors on where to narrow a house search.  Looking for an area that doesn't have houses right on top of each other (aka decent yard size), near "things to do", outdoor activities like hiking, etc, and near good restaurants (cool locally owned places, not national chains).  Quality of schools is not something to factor into my decision (no kids).  Low crime area, and within say a 20 ish min drive to base.  I don't want suburban boring.  This could potentially be a long-term situation if it works out.

North of base in Ogden?  South of base anywhere?  To the west?

Hill was the best time I've had in the AF, and was probably the one assignment that I would have jumped at to repeat. I lived in SLC when I was stationed there, and it is a great city IMO. If you want < 20 minutes though, well that's definitely out of reach. When I was moving there, I was after the same things you were, and unfortunately, there's just not much in the way of that between Hill and the city. As for Ogden, that's your best bet if you want "things to do," but it's still not as good as SLC, but I never hung out there so can't really comment too much. As far as outdoors activities, it really doesn't matter where you live, you'll have it available to you. If I was you, I'd suck it up and take the 40 minute commute and live in the city - it was worth it. I'd look around the Liberty Park area (and Sugarhouse) so I could get on the highway quick and still be able to access downtown with ease. You'd have a lot of work to do to find a place with a large yard around that area, but it can be done. Also, the houses look a lot smaller than they are, because many have large basements. Easy 40 minutes because it's all interstate, and you're going against the flow of traffic - the most frustrating part of my drive started at the front gate when it became a contest to see how many civilians could try and dive in front of my car.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stract said:

Who has some recent gouge about Hill/Ogden, etc?  I've got a possible job opportunity there and need some vectors on where to narrow a house search.  Looking for an area that doesn't have houses right on top of each other (aka decent yard size), near "things to do", outdoor activities like hiking, etc, and near good restaurants (cool locally owned places, not national chains).  Quality of schools is not something to factor into my decision (no kids).  Low crime area, and within say a 20 ish min drive to base.  I don't want suburban boring.  This could potentially be a long-term situation if it works out.

North of base in Ogden?  South of base anywhere?  To the west?

You'll be fine.  Lots of outdoor activities with good local restaurants and low crime pretty much describes that entire area.  In terms of a house search, most of the really big yards are in suburban boring areas, so you might be facing a tradeoff there.  Commuting is easy and the drivers are some of the most polite I've seen anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Haven't lived there, but after multiple TDYs there and hanging out with several friends who do, the area east of the mountains (Mountain Green/Morgan area) is pretty awesome.  Friends are 15 min driveway to ski lift, 2 min from trailhead, 20 min drive to the squadron/Ogden, 20 min to Farmington (which has a bunch of restaurants, shops, etc).  You'll be able to get a .3-.5 acre lot for the most part unless you want to spend more money to build on a 1-1.5 acre lot.  Anything larger than that lot size and you're looking at a further commute.  It's a good area to have the feel of living in the mountains/rural, but a fairly large city is only a 20 min drive away (and blocked from your view by the moutains...a bonus in my book).

• Upvote 1

thanks for all the replies so far, guys!  I'll try to drive around and get a vibe for the areas mentioned when I go up for my face-to-face interview next weekend. 

I can say I grew up just east of the base but haven't been back in years. The older areas are east and south of the base and have larger lots. If you get west that is newer territory. I don't know if I believe you can get from Morgan to Farmington in 20 minutes but things have changed. I remember back in the day the pass to get to/from Morgan would get closed for bad WX. May be a disadvantage. It is beautiful country out there. Good luck, I've dreamed of moving back. I would stay out of the river dale area unless they have modernized the road system. That place was always backed up.

On a separate note does anyone know if the palm tree mural at the club is still there? It was the last time I went there. I helped paint it back in '97 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Was there from 2012-2015. Lived in Shadow Valley area of South Ogden. Loved the area.

Close to Weber State University, Weber Canyon entrance to get to Snowbasin, and literally a minute jog to the trail head for Mount Ogden or the Bonneville Shoreline trail. Great hiking and mountain biking.

The Ogden housing market is taking off right now. Bought my place in Dec 12 and sold in Apr 15 for $40k profit. This neighborhood in particular is a good one for real estate but not many house for sale...my yard was .48 acres...enough to make me hire a yard guy.

Decent food options in this part of town but limited... Pie, Greek place (can't remember name), Hug-Hes Cafe.

Downtown Ogden is regenerating. It has a lot of great areas and a few areas that need improvement. But for the most part has some great local restaurants (Slackwater, Sonora Grill, Tona, Roosters) and some cool bars too (Funk N Dive, Lighthouse, Slackwater).

Farmington is a good up and coming area...but chains are there too.

Mountain green is awesome. But remote. Lots a Reservist live up there...never had issues getting to work that I know of.

Jealous...wish I could go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

I would live east of the mountains to get out of the inversion layer (assuming Ogden has one like SLC).  Some place around Morgan or Huntsville.  Outdoor activities there are endless.  If you want to be closer, look for something on the bench which is a bench created by a prehistoric lake (Bonneville Lake, hence the Bonneville shoreline trail) that runs along the entire Wasatch front. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how far east I want to go.  That situation sounds similar to what's going on east of ABQ in Cedar Crest/Tijeras/Edgewood.  I don't want to be super remote, and if that means a smaller yard, I guess I'll have to make a real-time decision.  But, I'll definitely go check these places out if I can when I'm there next weekend.

I lived between the mountains and the south gate.  Most are smaller yards (most are around .2 acre lots), but if you're willing to move into an older house, there are lots of options a little over 1/4 acre.  Nice area, short commute, good schools, and still quick access to the mountains.  Exactly 30 minutes from my door to the ski lift.  Even if you live in Morgan, you're not going to be walking distance to the lift or trails, so much less time than that didn't make much difference to me.  That being said, if I moved back, I would primarily look in east Layton (east and SE of the south gate) and maybe some in Morgan.

• Upvote 1

my current lot is .155 acres, and feels a tad small in the back yard for me (but I don't and won't have anyone behind me because it backs up to a designated open space).  .2 acres would be a definite improvement, that's an additional 2000 sq ft of yard space over what I currently have.   The ultimate goal is to not feel my neighbors looming over and around me.  Thanks for the input!