Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fud

VA Claims

14 hours ago, RogAir said:

Just got my report back after applying for VA disability. I filed 9 items (20+ years service).  All items "rejected"; some even cited as "didn't happen" while clearly shown in medical records.  Has anyone else received this type of rejection?  Everyone I've talked to has gotten at least a 0% rating, most get 10-30%. Not looking for a check, just want a 0% rating...

Are you working with any VSO? Those guys know what they're doing...

15 hours ago, RogAir said:

Just got my report back after applying for VA disability. I filed 9 items (20+ years service).  All items "rejected"; some even cited as "didn't happen" while clearly shown in medical records.  Has anyone else received this type of rejection?  Everyone I've talked to has gotten at least a 0% rating, most get 10-30%. Not looking for a check, just want a 0% rating...

Not sure what state you're in, but I'd try to get in contact with your Senator. Mine has a full-time staff dedicated to helping vets deal with the VA... and their success rate is off the charts.

Edited by Kiloalpha

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, some were service connected. Affect QOL? Yes, sometimes.  How are guys getting ratings for ski accidents? Those aren't service related...

I was not working with a VSO, I will with my appeal though.

Being in CA, I'm not sure how pro-Vet my Senators are:( 

On August 19, 2016 at 2:47 PM, RogAir said:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, some were service connected. Affect QOL? Yes, sometimes.  How are guys getting ratings for ski accidents? Those aren't service related...

California? Well, Boxer and Feinstein might take up your case if you say that you identify as the opposite sex and you felt "triggered" by the VA not accepting your lifestyle.

In all seriousness? It can't hurt to call and ask. If they're dead ends, PM me and I'll give you a couple #'s.

On 9/30/2015 at 7:24 PM, Robo said:

50% is the magic number to receive concurrent payments from both the VA and a military retirement. Anything under 50% both sides pay but the amount paid by the VA (tax free) is subtracted from the retirement.

Not quite, you need a combat finding or a 20 year letter as well.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:14 PM, RogAir said:

I got a rejection as well, but it's a long story and it isn't over yet.  I got sick, filed a VA claim 4 years after leaving active duty, and subsequently put into the IDES system.  The claim I made on my own with a VSO help was denied completely due to the 1 year rule, but my PUEBLO says its crap and my IDES claim is still going through the process.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, RogAir said:

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I was fortunate with my representation because the guy showed up at my TAP class.  I ended up choosing the DAV and really liked what they had to do for me.  I ended up getting my rating two months after leaving Active Duty. 

I highly recommend going with a VSO because they can advocate for your appeal.  Good luck. 

On 8/19/2016 at 1:47 PM, RogAir said:

How are guys getting ratings for ski accidents? Those aren't service related...

Common misconception.  Hand-in-hand with the "you're on duty 24/7" philosophy, pretty much anything not resulting from something causing a negative line-of-duty determination is "service related":  if you're on AD, and skiing "legally" (not contrary to lawful orders to the contrary, or AWOL, or whatever else could render it non-LOD), any injury resulting from that is "service related"....

PS:  Yes, I know this is an old(ish) post I'm replying to....