Gorenc named USAFE Commander

F-15E WSO

I never flew with Gork but I overlapped with him at PSAB back in '97 while he was commanding the Mountain Home C-model squadron. Seemed like a good commander then and appeared to have the genuine respect of his pilots. Hopefully he avoided the flag officer lobotomy.

Edited by JeremiahWeed

When he was running 3rd AF, I flew with him multiple times to include a week long trip around France/Italy (rough life, I know). Great leader, down to earth, no-nonsense kinda guy, good pilot. Everyone that flew with him, liked him. Glad to see he's still at it.

He was the Wing King at Balad when I was there in '05/'06. Down to earth guy who was respected by everyone.

I was also there & recall some growing pains when -130s first showed up. Things ended up being fine, but there were a few months of pain for airlift guys.

• Upvote 3

You mean the Herc guys popping flares over the base due to the burn pit?

No, that wasn't a problem with him (and everyone with the same gear had the same issue; hence SPINS dictating a certain altitude associated with that system). He actually published a NOTAM at ORBD that all C130 departure and arrivals would be filmed by a camera crew because he thought we flew too low and didn't approve of us banking past 30 degrees. Didn't believe our patch who explained to him what we were doing and how we were trained & couldnt understand why a 105k H3 flew a different departure than a 155k E. Each day he would review any departures his E9 (tape monitor) thought were too 'tactical' involving speeds, altitudes or bank angles he was uncomfortable with and would subsequently chew out the crew. I have first hand experience with this process... But no hard feelings.

• Upvote 3

You mean the Herc Dyess guys popping flares over the base due to the burn pit?

FIFY, but no.

When it's 110* and your flying an E model -130 near max GW, even at sea level you climb out barely over 1,000 FPM. Most guys practiced the technique of accelerating to above cornering velocity while still in ground effect because Balad, like all the airfields in Iraq, had a 2 mile long runway and no terrain in sight. Getting as much smash as possible allowed you to raise the nose higher than normal and get above the small arms WEZ ASAP, then slow to best climb, cornering, or whatever made sense. This was taught at the school house and everyone I knew who flew E models did this. Apparently there was a Eagle O-6 at Balad who saw this and didn't like it. I was never stationed at Balad and don't know the name of said O-6, so I'll confess that the threat to Q3 guys is based on widely reported rumor from many different sources. But you only have to hear that Richard Gear with a hamster story so many times before you give it some credibility.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...