I think they TOTALLY get it (Suicides)

Not surprisingly though, that article is extremely similar to a paper I had to write for TUIU. But seriously, I read that article thinking there was going to be something helpful after the "balls have a tough life" attention step. Nope.

Who knows though? Maybe there is some suicidal sports fanatic out there that just changed his mind because he can now relate to a Bocce Ball.

Dude! Awesome video. Well, the article may suck ass and I might want to commit suicide just for reading it, but here is a resiliency video that should be included in SAPR training that really lifts my spirits. "What would you do if you had a million dollars..." should be replaced with "What would you do if approved for VSP or PC..." though...

http://youtu.be/A939QRRSNV4

I couldn't finish that shit. I know some bases assign people to write commentaries for the base paper. Not everyone has something valid to write or the skills to write it in an effective manner. This looks like a Lt assigned a task above their skill level and resulting in a swing and a miss, no surprise there.

• 1 year later...

Why do most service members kill themselves?

http://docs.house.gov/Committee/Calendar/ByEvent.aspx?EventID=104022

Gen Ediger (Air Force)

Although PTSD has not proven to be a prevalent contributing factor to suicides in the Air Force, we recognize the importance of effective identification and treatment in controlling the impact of PTSD on Airmen and families. [...] Deployment has not been found to be a risk factor for suicide in the Air Force. The stressors most frequently identified among Airmen that commit suicide have remained unchanged for decades and include relationship problems, legal/administrative issues, work-related stressors or a combination of these factors.

LTG McConville (Army)
(1) Among Soldiers, suicides were more likely to occur after the first year of service, and to involve young, male, junior enlisted Soldiers, with relatively low educational attainment. (2) Soldiers in the traditional combat arms occupations had the highest overall suicide risk. (3) Being married is normally protective against suicide in the U.S. civilian population, but was protective for Soldiers only while they were deployed. (4) Demotion in the prior two years, and not being promoted along with one’s peers in the first two years of service increases the risk of suicide. (5) Behavioral health problems, both past and present, are potent risk factors for suicide. (6) Risk for suicide increased with a Soldier’s first deployment compared to those who had never deployed, but there was no additional risk of suicide with additional deployments.

MajGen Whitman (Marine Corps)
Examples of risk factors include financial stress, loss of relationships, substance misuse, legal problems, behavioral health conditions, history of trauma, family history of suicide, and many forms of transition [...] such as Permanent Change of Status (PCS), separation and retirement, change of occupation, or divorce [...] Research to date has not correlated deployment experience with suicide risk.

RADM Burkhardt (Navy)
Suicides typically occur when Sailors are experiencing some combination of multiple recent stressors, including: intimate relationship problems, loss, recent career transitions, disciplinary/legal issues, work problems, sleep problems, and financial strain.

Surprisingly, not deployment or PTSD.

Edited by deaddebate

• 8 months later...

VA Conducts Nation’s Largest Analysis of Veteran Suicide / July 7, 2016

WASHINGTON — The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has undertaken the most comprehensive analysis of Veteran suicide rates in the U.S., examining over 55 million Veteran records from 1979 to 2014 from every state in the nation. [...] an average of 20 Veterans a day died from suicide.

[...]

• 65% of all Veterans who died from suicide in 2014 were 50 years of age or older.

• Veterans accounted for 18% of all deaths from suicide among U.S. adults. [...]

• Since 2001, [...] the risk of suicide 21% greater for Veterans.

• [...] the rate of suicide increased 98% among female Veterans who do not use VA services.

[...]

Immediate help is available atwww.VeteransCrisisLine.net or by calling the Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 (press 1) or texting 838255.
  • Upvote 1