Brooks to Wright-Patterson Conversion

Guest lbzrider14

BTW... What Airport do you fly into? Dayton? Columbus? Cleveland? Who picks you up? Did you have to wait long when you got to the airport? I'm only asking because I am two weeks out...

Cleveland is 200 miles away, so I think you can rule that out. Columbus and Cincinnati are both about an hour's drive.

Edited by SurelySerious

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goducks

BTW... What Airport do you fly into? Dayton? Columbus? Cleveland? Who picks you up? Did you have to wait long when you got to the airport? I'm only asking because I am two weeks out...

Dayton is the closest by far- about 20 minutes from base. Cincy and Columbus airports are on the far side of each city, likely 1.5-2 hours drive.

If you're going in two weeks, you should already have your orders and tickets and so forth. You fly into Dayton. Also, since you're asking that question, I'm guessing you haven't done the online questionnaire, which means you might be a little screwed since that was supposed to have been done 30+ days before your exam.

• 1 month later...

I am OTS Pilot select. I got my IFC1 approved in June 2011, with a waiver for Hx of asthma.

I thought when dudes get theirs approved it says something like 'approved for IFC1 pending MFS'.

Mine says stamped in black "Medically Qualified for FC1 (w/ waiver), FC1A(w/ waiver), FCII FCIIU (w/ waiver), FCIII, Comm.. etc etc.. // Signed // AF/SG3P"

Did they change the stamp? Do I not need to do MFS eventually?

It sounds like you did your IFC1 and MFS in the same visit. In fact, the impression I get from the from the folks at WP is that it is a rarity to both exams in separate visits these days. I got mine certified 11 Aug and it has the same stamp.

Congrats on the slot!

It sounds like you did your IFC1 and MFS in the same visit. In fact, the impression I get from the from the folks at WP is that it is a rarity to both exams in separate visits these days. I got mine certified 11 Aug and it has the same stamp.

Congrats on the slot!

Thanks.

I actually did my IFC1 at DM AFB thru Flight Med... never did anything similar to MFS (rigorous eye tests + neuro psych)

Guest goducks

I am OTS Pilot select. I got my IFC1 approved in June 2011, with a waiver for Hx of asthma.

I thought when dudes get theirs approved it says something like 'approved for IFC1 pending MFS'.

Mine says stamped in black "Medically Qualified for FC1 (w/ waiver), FC1A(w/ waiver), FCII FCIIU (w/ waiver), FCIII, Comm.. etc etc.. // Signed // AF/SG3P"

Did they change the stamp? Do I not need to do MFS eventually?

In the past, they were always stamped with the "pending MFS". Lately we've been seeing more and more without the "pending" part. In this particular case, the waiver really shouldn't be impacted by MFS as the MFS process only involves a handful of tests- neuropsych, red lens, corneal topography and color vision. You're not evaluated for things like asthma.

You will come to Wright-Patt for MFS at some point.

Guest turboprop8771

I'm scheduled for the FCI later this month. My unit had me complete an IFCIII on base, which was certified last month. Will having a certified FCIII preclude any of the IFCI testing or does it not have any impact? Just curious about what I should expect.

Guest goducks

I'm scheduled for the FCI later this month. My unit had me complete an IFCIII on base, which was certified last month. Will having a certified FCIII preclude any of the IFCI testing or does it not have any impact? Just curious about what I should expect.

No impact. You'll get the same as everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s up guys. Maybe you can help me out. I am active duty enlisted and just found out I got selected for a Pilot slot. I have had an FC1 certified through AETC/SGPS in June of 2010. To my understanding it needs to be within 48 months of the beginning of flying training so I think I’m good. It seems there is a new process for active duty selects, and I will be going to MFS at wright-pat before OTS. Can anyone confirm this? Since I have the FC1 complete, can anyone give a description of how long I will be at wright-pat baring any issues and what test will I have to pass. Thank you for any help or insight you can provide.

What’s up guys. Maybe you can help me out. I am active duty enlisted and just found out I got selected for a Pilot slot. I have had an FC1 certified through AETC/SGPS in June of 2010. To my understanding it needs to be within 48 months of the beginning of flying training so I think I’m good. It seems there is a new process for active duty selects, and I will be going to MFS at wright-pat before OTS. Can anyone confirm this? Since I have the FC1 complete, can anyone give a description of how long I will be at wright-pat baring any issues and what test will I have to pass. Thank you for any help or insight you can provide.

See my post above. MFS consists of Neuropsych testing (not pass/fail, just a baseline brain function in case of future TBI), red lens, corneal topography and color vision. If all goes as scheduled without complications, you will report Wednesday a.m. and will be done that afternoon.

Of the people who went through their FC1 at W-P recently, how long did it take to get the official AETC stamp (without waivers)? They said to expect 45 days but I just wanted to know if in reality it will be sooner or later than that.

Edited by H-10btr

Of the people who went through their FC1 at W-P recently, how long did it take to get the official AETC stamp (without waivers)? They said to expect 45 days but I just wanted to know if in reality it will be sooner or later than that.

IFC1: 11-12 July

Certified: 10 August

WITH RS waiver

• 3 months later...

I'm active duty and headed to OTS 28 Feb and then CSO school. AFRS is aware I've completed my FC1 and requested the copy from AETC around Dec 1. I haven't heard anything through my MPF or seen anything pop up on vMPF for a TDY to WPAFB. Is it unusual to not get a date until after arriving at UPT or UCT?

Just wanted some input before I start badgering the BESO and the folks at Randolph.

I am still waiting too. I called my MPF today and had them contact AFPC on my behalf to try to get my orders. I called Randolph and they said that nothing would be in VMPF. CSO students that are AD do not go to WPAFB TDY, only pilot selects.

The other selects at my base had the TDY loaded in their DVB information under projected training. May be a base by base case. One, I shot you a PM. I'm on leave until tomorrow so I don't have the AD select instructions in front of me, but for pilots/cso's don't they both have a B footnote in the instructions saying to complete the FC1 then do MFS at Wright-Patt?

If CSO's don't, then cool. Probably a sentence I overlooked. Got about 30 things on my mind like selling the house, moving the family, etc. Plus these instructions get clear as mud sometimes.

EDIT: I checked the AD reporting instructions and they changed the wording to say Pilots and RPAs only. I promise not long ago it was worded more ambiguously to the effect of 'fliers' or 'rated selects.' One less thing...

Edited by DocHolliday7283

• 1 year later...

MFS for OTS/Active, play by play.

Just went to MFS this week and figured I put up a play by play of how they ran it *April 2013* at Wright Patterson AFB. Starting when you get your training rip, read it, you’ll have to send an email to the 711th and check the MFS website, which is actually a decent resource. When you show up the day before your appointment, no one cares what time you show, so I’d encourage the leisurely mid-morning/nooner out of where you’re coming from. When you arrive at Dayton airport, you can take the prescribed $50 taxi, or pick up a rental car. CAUTION: a rental car will not be covered on your travel voucher without your commander’s approval letter. But, a rental will be around $120 + gas for 2 days… so if a cab is 50 x 2… and you’re willing to eat 20 bucks with some creative DTS work…

Once at the WPAFB Inn it’s about 50/50 you may get sent ‘off base’ to the COMFORT INN. The Comfort is about 50 feet from one of the main gates, and has recently been re-furnished, with a sports bar, food service until 8pm. Especially if you do not have a rental, this is your best option, because the base inn has nothing within easy walking distance.

The morning of the exam you take the bus from your inn to BLD 840 0645 and 0700L. The bus route isn’t direct, and the MFS is in a different section of WPAFB so expect a couple gates and stops before BLD 840. When you get there everyone meets in W100, which is the first room as you walk in from the flag pole / downhill side. Depending on which side you enter, you may walk into the 2nd floor, and the elevator I tried only went up from there… fun.

You need a copy of your orders/DTS auth, and your medical records to check in. One guy didn’t have either and they made due, but try not to be ‘that guy.’ As for the first 4hrs of testing, it’s in 1hr blocks with your standard psych BS, and TBI base line testing. They told us it’s for TBI testing and psych research. After 4 blocks of tests, you get lunch from 12-13L. You can find food in the building or, there are several restaurants in driving distance.

After lunch there are 3 tests/measurements, one or two more for PRK/Lasik. Physical measurements and eye topography were no big deal. FYI the techs giving the tests are by no means perfect. IF YOU THINK YOU’RE FAILING A TEST OR IT DOESN’T SEEM RIGHT, ASK FOR THE DOC! The first four guys given some flashlight test failed and passed when the Doc re-tested them herself, and gave the tech some OJT. Everyone there after passed. Make sure you are looking through both lenses to see the light. Otherwise you might give the wrong answer. The color vision test is the laptop model, no more cards. Just like any other laptop, glare makes a difference, make sure the door is closed, the lights are off and you are wearing your prescription glasses. If you don’t have PRK/Lasik you should be done and can fly out the next day. In our group everyone finished in one day. It says on the arrival guide the flight out should be no earlier than 1400 on the second day, and that is for PRK/Lasik only worst case.

Good luck at MFS and RPA/UPT training.