North Atlantic Procedures

You guys have J-models right? If I'm not mistaking, you guys are RVSM and RNP certified, right? If you don't know what that is, look it up in your Vol. 3. Being an IRC guy, big thing is to review the Oceanic crossing guide provided by Baseops.net. Develop a good technique on waypoint crosschecking, and develop good cockpit management. Study up on Strategic Lateral Offset Procedures, or SLOP. The Hercs don't necessarily fly it, unless you guys find yourselves flying the North Atlantic Tracks. You can get that information off of the North Atlantic Track button on the NOTAMS website that all us military pilots use to check NOTAMS.

Anything else specific, PM me! Have fun.

Guest Crew Report

and we dont have any calls to make anymore. . .CPDLC FTW. .

Until you fly Block 40 with INOP Datalink.

You guys have J-models right? If I'm not mistaking, you guys are RVSM and RNP certified, right? If you don't know what that is, look it up in your Vol. 3. Being an IRC guy, big thing is to review the Oceanic crossing guide provided by Baseops.net. Develop a good technique on waypoint crosschecking, and develop good cockpit management. Study up on Strategic Lateral Offset Procedures, or SLOP. The Hercs don't necessarily fly it, unless you guys find yourselves flying the North Atlantic Tracks. You can get that information off of the North Atlantic Track button on the NOTAMS website that all us military pilots use to check NOTAMS.

Anything else specific, PM me! Have fun.

Actually I fly the Legacy Herk, my screen name is weatherman because I enjoy (enjoyed) studying the weather.

Be sure to read the MNPS manual... Most of what you will need is in there. Dont fvck up your way points when entering them in the flight computer, bad news. ALSO, since you are in a Herk, be sure to say hello to the guys cruising 10K above you at .77. :aviator:

Study up on Strategic Lateral Offset Procedures, or SLOP.

What's to study? Manditory 0, 1 or 2 mile offset right after your coast out. Make sure you're back on centerline by coast in. Not so much of an issue if you're flying a 0 mile offset.

Agree that the best document to look at is the MNPS. It has everything you need to know.

Be sure to read the MNPS manual... Most of what you will need is in there. Dont fvck up your way points when entering them in the flight computer, bad news. ALSO, since you are in a Herk, be sure to say hello to the guys cruising 10K above you at .77. aviator.gif

Ditto. MNPS manual is a one stop shop for Atlantic crossings.

Oceanic Checklist

Cruising at .77? Must be the C-5 and C-17s. Real men cruise at .82

MNPS manual has specific instructions for contingencies while in MNPS airspace like what to do if you have to deviate for weather, can't maintain altitude, or have to turn around on the track. Good to review that stuff before every crossing. The AP2 also has some info extracted from the MNPS, like specific country procedures for obtaining your oceanic clearance. My condolences on not having SELCAL, by the way.

Actually I fly the Legacy Herk, my screen name is weatherman because I enjoy (enjoyed) studying the weather.

Gotcha..well in that case you don't have to worry about the North Atlantic Tracks and using SLOP. Agree on what everybody has said about studying the MNPS, good stuff to know. Also, with the new AMC Fuel Saving measures in effect, you'll be carrying more gas due to "increased Reserve Gas" you are now required to calculate. Fuel required for CAT 1 routing has changed, as well as enroute reserves. Get with a Navigator on that, or the Fuel planning chapter in the Vol.3.

Oh yeah, go to the Cotton Club in St John's!!

Guest Crew Report

Gotcha..well in that case you don't have to worry about the North Atlantic Tracks and using SLOP. Agree on what everybody has said about studying the MNPS, good stuff to know. Also, with the new AMC Fuel Saving measures in effect, you'll be carrying more gas due to "increased Reserve Gas" you are now required to calculate. Fuel required for CAT 1 routing has changed, as well as enroute reserves. Get with a Navigator on that, or the Fuel planning chapter in the Vol.3.

Oh yeah, go to the Cotton Club in St John's!!

I thought the Cotton Club burnt down?