Cholesterol issues

El Guapo

Guest doctidy

They'll NOT DNIF you for high cholesterol. They'll ask you to do diet and exercise to get it down. If that doesn't work, they will need to DNIF you to start a lipid (cholesterol) lowering medication...that would be a 5-day ground trial. After that, you should be back in the air.

Sound like a deal?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the time frame for a large doze of cholesterol to metabolize back to normal levels in adult male?

The reason I'm asking is if it would be viable to retake cholesterol test only after a day of original that scored what seems to be way too high score of a 284 for total.

Thanks,

sim

Does anyone know the time frame for a large doze of cholesterol to metabolize back to normal levels in adult male?

The reason I'm asking is if it would be viable to retake cholesterol test only after a day of original that scored what seems to be way too high score of a 284 for total.

Thanks,

sim

Lay off the "eggs" for a couple of days...fast at least 12 hours before you retest. Cholesterol is only one of the factors...the biggest factor is your LDL.

It'll take more than just a 3 day diet to bring your 288 down to below 200. In addition to diet, you need to exercise at least 5x per week. I've had mine test the last 2 yrs, and its been right around 250. Thank God I already have my wings.

So, if you're cholesterol is above 200, you won't pass your initial flying class 1? That seems kind of crazy.

It'll take more than just a 3 day diet to bring your 288 down to below 200. In addition to diet, you need to exercise at least 5x per week. I've had mine test the last 2 yrs, and its been right around 250. Thank God I already have my wings.

So, if you're cholesterol is above 200, you won't pass your initial flying class 1? That seems kind of crazy.

Sometimes improper fasting puts your lipids out of whack.

More than "cholesterol" go into the DQ mix...talk to your doc, he'll ask about your family history, your eating and exercise habits, look at your overall health including cardiovascular, and look at all of your lipid values. There is a formula that they use...you still may be ok...but until you talk to the doc, who knows.

• 3 years later...

Multi-year thread bump. I just wanted to say my 2 cents on cholesterol.

Approx 5 years ago the flight doc, after years of badgering, put me on the zocor as my total cholesterol was 280 or thereabouts. Although my cholesterol totals plummeted like a rock, after several months I began to feel lethargic. It was very slow and insidious, and I thought "well, welcome to middle age."

Little by little the muscle pain and lethargy got worse. Climbing a flight of stairs was to be avoided; running a mile and a half was inconceivable. As I began to research this dreaded cholesterol menace, that has 10s of millions of Americans popping pills every day, I was stunned. I was stunned at the prevalence of nasty side effects (muscle degradation, neurological disorders) and at all the whispers in the medical community that maybe this theory of cholesterol and saturated fats was completely erroneous at best and a cynical money-making scam at worst. I laid off the drugs and felt 100% better.

I suspect the flight doc may roll in with guns blazing and that's OK. I'm obviously not a medical professional. But please, please, if the doc starts pushing the statins on you, please do some objective research and be vigilant about the side effects. I believe there's a former flight doc (Graveline?) who is quite prominent in the anti-statin crusade. We obviously can't believe everything we read on the internet, but after decades of Americans popping these pills like candy, it's important to start asking some tough questions.

• 1 month later...

Multi-year thread bump. I just wanted to say my 2 cents on cholesterol.

Approx 5 years ago the flight doc, after years of badgering, put me on the zocor as my total cholesterol was 280 or thereabouts. Although my cholesterol totals plummeted like a rock, after several months I began to feel lethargic. It was very slow and insidious, and I thought "well, welcome to middle age."

Little by little the muscle pain and lethargy got worse. Climbing a flight of stairs was to be avoided; running a mile and a half was inconceivable. As I began to research this dreaded cholesterol menace, that has 10s of millions of Americans popping pills every day, I was stunned. I was stunned at the prevalence of nasty side effects (muscle degradation, neurological disorders) and at all the whispers in the medical community that maybe this theory of cholesterol and saturated fats was completely erroneous at best and a cynical money-making scam at worst. I laid off the drugs and felt 100% better.

I suspect the flight doc may roll in with guns blazing and that's OK. I'm obviously not a medical professional. But please, please, if the doc starts pushing the statins on you, please do some objective research and be vigilant about the side effects. I believe there's a former flight doc (Graveline?) who is quite prominent in the anti-statin crusade. We obviously can't believe everything we read on the internet, but after decades of Americans popping these pills like candy, it's important to start asking some tough questions.

There is another option: go on a plant based diet and cut out all dairy and oil. the numbers don't lie: www.heartattackproof.com Avg total cholesterol drop in one month for those on this type of program is around 60-100 pts. Before you say "you can't get enough protein," tell that to Mac Danzig (UFC fighter) some NFL players and numerous professional ironman athletes. It's pretty interesting to see how you can medicate through food alone. Bill Clinton did the same to save his life (and that guy knew how to grub)

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't even take anything that drastic. My doc was going to put me on a statin. I told him no and began a diet and exercise routine that has dropped my blood pressure 20 points on the systolic side, and watched my weight drop about 15 pounds along with losing 3 inches on my waist. The cholesterol is down from a high of mid-200's to 150-175; the LDLs are down from over 160 to below 100.

I do know some guys who just have the wrong genes and they need the meds, but most people can get by with diet and exercise and live a long, healthy life without the statins. I have been told if I end up on a statin to take an OTC CoQ-10. It helps to balance out some of the ill effects of the statin. Of course, if a flyer you need to disclose to your flight doc.

Edited by Herk Driver

• 3 months later...

I know they say it is good to have low cholesterol, but is there a such thing as it being too low? On the front page of my blood work results, it said three of the numbers associated with my cholesterol were low and below the "goal" range. My total is 102.4 with a goal of 133-200, LDL is 44 for a goal of 65-130, HDL is 48 for a goal of >50. Does anyone have any advice on how to get these numbers in the goal range?

Another question about the blood test is my sodium level is low as well. I am at 136 for a reference range of 138-146. I assume they highlight these things to bring attention to them, but I have no idea what any of it means. My doctor's office has not really been helpful in answering questions. I have tried looking some of this up online, but I only find answers dealing with the extremes (ie: hyponatremia for sodium). Thank you!

Edited by Masshole

I know they say it is good to have low cholesterol, but is there a such thing as it being too low? On the front page of my blood work results, it said three of the numbers associated with my cholesterol were low and below the "goal" range. My total is 102.4 with a goal of 133-200, LDL is 44 for a goal of 65-130, HDL is 48 for a goal of >50. Does anyone have any advice on how to get these numbers in the goal range?

Another question about the blood test is my sodium level is low as well. I am at 136 for a reference range of 138-146. I assume they highlight these things to bring attention to them, but I have no idea what any of it means. My doctor's office has not really been helpful in answering questions. I have tried looking some of this up online, but I only find answers dealing with the extremes (ie: hyponatremia for sodium). Thank you!

Not sure if this will help or not but I've just been through the cholesterol panels, as I don't want to take any medication for life the doc said that getting my total cholesterol around 90 (basically impossible) is about the only way to repair damage that has been done from what is essentially whole milk that has been circulating through my veins. I'm sure you could follow my horrible diet to get your numbers up but I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as all the "good" stuff that comes from cholesterol seems to working.

Edited by Catbox

• 3 years later...

Considering high cholesterol (hyperlipidemia) is among the most common conditions and waivers for flyers, I thought I'd update the information related to approved medications for treatment. AFMSA updated this medication listing this month (May 2015).

The following drugs can be prescribed for any current flyers or applicants and likely will not require a waiver if you are well controlled with only that single medication. Multiple medications are acceptable but will require a waiver.
Crestor (Rosuvastatin), Lipitor (Atorvastatin), Mevacor (Lovastatin), Pravacor (Pravastatin), and Zocor (Simvastatin)

The following drugs can be prescribed for any current flyers or applicants but will require a waiver.
Colestid (Colestipol), Detaxtran (Colextran), Lopid (Gemfibrozil), Questran (Cholestyramine), Tricor (Fenofibrate), Vytorin (Ezetimbe + Simvastatin), Welchol (Colesevelam), and Zetia (Ezetimibe)

Note that once you achieve good, acceptable cholesterol levels on medication, waivers are almost never denied for this condition. If you are a current flyer, know that when starting a new medication or for any adjustments to dosage of existing medication, a minimum 5 day ground trail/DNIF is required, but the DNIF will be much longer if you are currently poorly controlled or require a new waiver. If you are now aircrew or an applicant and are currently taking any drugs not listed here, you should talk to your Flight Surgeon or Recruiter for more information.

NIACIN AND ALL NIACIN DERIVATIVES ARE BANNED/NON-WAIVERABLE MEDICATION FOR AIRCREW.

What's up with niacin?

Only Niacin taken for reducing cholesterol has significant side effects. The Niacin/B3 found in typical multivitamins is usually not the same type nor a high enough dose to affect cholesterol.

Niacin consumed at high doses for cholesterol control causes a temporary but significant vaso-dilation/flushing episode which would physically impair or interfere with aeronautical duties. This effect can be minimized by concurrently taking aspirin/NSAID however consuming a pain reliever every day creates separate aeromedical concerns.

As with everything else medicine related with flying duty, the complaint is often that medical is overly cautious and critical of these minor concerns. The counterpoint is this: what level of risk is acceptable in the mission of defending the country through operation of multi-million dollar, high-performance aircraft in simulated or real-world battle environments with lives onboard and below at risk? The official answer can be found in AFI 48-123, para 6.2.1. The unwritten rule/rule-of-thumb is 1%. That is the acceptable aeromedical risk is a 1% chance of impairment/incapacitation in consideration of all potentially disqualifying conditions (including the effects of treatment of any conditions).

Edited by deaddebate