Cholesterol issues

El Guapo

When i took my FC1 the first time I was called back to retake another cholesterol test. I was told it was "higher than what the AF likes to see". Anything over 200 and you need to come back. I had 224. I retook it a week later and it was 199. Today, 7 months later, I tested myself with some kit I bought at Walgreens and it was 234. I'm off to OTS in Nov and SUPT soon thereafter. Is this something that could get me in trouble at Brooks or OTS?

Guest Flyboy

You don't have to worry about that (I had to redo the cholesterol test too. Mine is high). Once you get certified for your FC1 that's all that matters. I had flight screening at Brooks last month and they did not do any blood tests. The only thing they check is your eyes and heart. You must past these two tests to go to UPT. Make sure you check out Brooks website before your appointment. http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/fec/master.html

Eating a low fat/low cholesterol diet helps for starters. There are also foods that help to lower cholesterol, cheerios and oatmeal. I believe it is the monounsaturated vs. polyunsaturated fat content. Some say that garlic and niacin supplements will help. There are also prescription drugs that help, Lipitor for one. I don't know if I would want to have to admit on the FC1 to taking cholesterol lowering drugs, though, but I'm no doc. I had borderline high cholesterol, they made me take blood tests 3 times, it was between 210-225 each time, then I was qualified and nothing more was said about it. No waivers. Make sure you don't eat 12 hours prior to the physical, also. That can cause abnormally elevated levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.

Guest laurendenise28

I don't really know anything about cholestrol, but I would imagine cutting out red meat might help. Perhaps looking into to some natural herbs along with a diet lower in fat? (although I wouldn't take any herbs or anything before the test just in case) I think sometimes it runs in the family but a healthy diet can help lower it a bit.

-Lauren

Guest NMMI JC

My hdl was 258 but the important thing is the ratio between the "good" and the "bad" cholesterol. On your physical in the section where your cholesterol is posted there are two numbers, hdl and ldl. if your hdl and ldl are both high, you cool. If there is a huge disparity between the two, buck up on the veggies and treadmill.

Adding to the diet part...to lower cholestrol EAT OATMEAL EVERY MORNING, EXERCISE, and cut out Red Meat. I did that, and now substitute turkey and Chicken. The occasional red meat is ok, just cut it way back.

Of course most obviously, cut out fried foods, and cut out starched like french fries.

For lunch try maybe a salad. I know it sucks but once you start eating better like that, you will feel better too.

Also try GOOD cholesterol foods...like olive oil, and fish. Just like said previously, the ratio is what is important.

GOOD LUCK

That is my .02.

Guest Bushmaster

But if we cut the red meat and starch from potatoes, how can we stock the protein required for building muscles or say in my case gaining some weight? I was told to eat lots of meat of "any kind", potatoes and etc...

Guest laurendenise28

Red meat doesn't have more protein than lean meats like chicken, turkey and fish. I knew a few guys in college that only ate turkey and chicken and were the two biggest guys in the gym...Red meat is not good for you - has alot of carcinogens. Fish is an excellent source of "perfect" protein and has omega 3. I agree with an earlier post - the better you eat, the better you feel. If you are a member of a gym or are thinking about joining one, they usually have a nutrition person that can help determine what you should change about your diet to achieve your fitness goal. (Usually they give you a free consultation and you can get alot of info)

-Lauren

Guest laurendenise28

I don't know - maybe someone on this board has knowledge on the subject, but I don't think processed dressing is good for you. Trans fatty acid...I'll let someone else weigh in, though, and I will try to ask some people that may know more.

-Lauren

Here's what I think: Basically, dont worry about it. Now before you get excited, read on:

Do not feel like you necessarly have to drasticaly change your diet. Now those with a FC1 in week, this may not apply.

However, those who long term want to drop it, all you have to do is make subtle changes. Like, instead of burgers, eat chicken. (side note: chicken and turkey are better for you protein wise than red meat). Cut out fries. Is ranch dressing good for you? NO, but if there is not a low fat substitute then it beats gettng a potato.

CUT OUT GREASE...again not completely just dont eat that frozen pizza...eat more greens, exercise.

Make small changes, and this is important: read teh nutrition label. You would be shocked at how bad for you some stuff is, and how good for you other stuff is. On the label, there is a part that says "cholesterol" under the RDA. Dont let that fool you...sugars, and fats, and sodium, all contribute.

Remember, some cholesterol, fats, starches, sugar, is necessary. Just moderate, and whenever possible substitute with better stuff. Dont avoid that fun barbecue, but maybe try to eat healthier the next day.

Finally CUT OUT SWEETS, and for God's sake, DRINK WATER INSTEAD OF SODA.

Get over the fact that food needs to taste great, and that will help alot.

You donthave to do all of these, just some, and it will make a big difference.

Adam

[ 05 August 2003, 14:01: Message edited by: ToBeKC135Pilot ]

• 1 month later...
Guest dreadlux

Had the second part of my FC1 and the Flight doc said my cholesterol was high, too. I eat lots of trukey and fish (sometimes fried), veggies, and lots of fruits and nuts (not that Planters stuff, either. I think the fact that I haven't really exercised in over a year and a half. I just really started to do some exercise so hopefully I will lower it before going in......

He wants me to monitor my blood pressure for three days, too. If it lowers then I can fedex the results to Rucker.....

• 9 months later...
Guest bwaysc

Do cholesterol lowering drugs medically DQ you? If only some of them do which ones? I have battled my chlesterol for a while and my doctor says I should think about the drugs.

Guest F16PilotMD

Several have been approved for waiver. Most of the "statin" family. Each require a short DNIF period while on the drug. As usual, this policy is for those who are already rated. Those in the application phase will need a waiver for high cholesterol...tougher to get.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest baileyf16

I am an ROTC pilot select getting ready to go to UPT in a few months. I had my FC1 last June and it is now approved. For the FC1 I had 186 cholesteral, I just had my cholesteral checked a few weeks ago and I'm at 267. I haven't changed eating or exercise habits. I think it is hereditary. I recognize that I am well above acceptable limits. I think that the only way I will be able to lower my cholesteral is through medication.

Will this disqualify my from pilot training, and even the AF? What options do I have, is there some type of medication that is OK (I already take fish oil vitamins with Omega 3 and eat oatmeal?

I already did Brookes, do they do more medical stuff, particularly blood tests, when I get to UPT? Thanks

Guest doctidy

Would have it re-checked fasting. That's a big jump in 8 months.

ROE - max total cholesterol 230 and either max LDL of 170 or HDL less than 15% of total cholesterol

If you passed your EFS at Brooks, you shouldn't need another physical until UFT.

• 5 months later...
Guest drdames

I am in the process of applying fot eh AD board in January. My records review list came up fine, but just recently I was diagnosed with High cholestoral. Would this disqualify me medically??

Guest doctidy

Depends on how bad.

I'd try to do the diet and exercise thing. Even if you can't get it down to normal...you stand a better chance of getting a waiver the closer you can get it to normal. Plus, even if you don't end up trying to get in the AF...its the right thing to do for your own health!

• 1 month later...

This thread is kind of old but the information helped me. I used Red Yeast Rice (along with extra cardio work and cutting back to about 15% of the recommended fat intake per day) and lowered my cholesterol from 238 to 177 in only 3 weeks. That's nearly 3 points per day. Pretty amazing stuff, but I'm sure the running and diet change helped out equally.

Now it's time to say screw the healthy diet and eat a deep fat fried bacon wrapped stick of butter for supper. ok, so maybe not.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kumpfman2

What is the the magic "ratio" between HDL and LDL? My HDL's are 53 and my LDL's are 188 and Trig's are 59, Total 272. I'm currently starting a strict diet of oatmeal, cheerios, and vegetables with 1600mg of Red Yeast Rice a day for three weeks. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

• 8 months later...
Guest adamgavrich

I'm in the process of getting an intitial FC3 in hopes of getting picked up for ABM training (unforunately I failed the red lens test back in the day so I can't get an FC1).

At my PHA last year, my cholesterol came back slightly elevated (236 total, 146 LDL, 45 HDL, 224 Triglycerides, 19% HDL/Total ratio), and i'm a little worried that it might come back even higher this year due to hereditary issues. I know that for an FC1 the limits are test repeat >230mg/dl AND either HDL <15% of total or LDL >170", so I Know would have made even the FC1 cut last year. With that said, I'm under the impression that for an FC3, the only requirment is that it not be high enough to require medication. Can any of the flight docs confirm this?

Cheers,

Adam

Guest doctidy

Adam...you are reading it wrong. We'll take you w/ high cholesterol controlled on medication.

Some things are disqualifying because they are an issue to mission completion and flying safety. Other things are disqualifying because we want to ensure our aircrew are receiving proper care. This is more the latter.

Good luck!

Guest Kumpfman2

Rage,

Does the same apply for pilot candidates undergoing a FCIII for IFS? My total cholesterol came back as 300 during my FCI and through diet and exercise I brought it down to 169 in three weeks to pass the FCI. So my question is, could they DQ me during the initial stages of flight training physicals (FCII/III) for choesterol > 230, or would they put me on medication?

Thanks, B