How to change/swap/trade UPT assignments or bases

Guest driftsight

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like I was whining about it, I'm definately stoked about getting the privledge to go to UPT anywhere. I just want to fly something that I will have fun in. I just heard a couple bad things about Whiting, and I'm glad most of you had some constructive information to give me about this. I'm sure every place has its good and bad things about it.

First off, if you so $hit hot, you have nothing to worry about. Second off, it might take you an extra 2 months or so to finish (remember after you finish Whiting you have a PCS=DLA) but you will be happy. The guys going through T-6's at Vance (which is your follow on after Whiting if you go T-1/T38) will get maybe 2 days off average before they go from T-6-->T-38/T-1. You on the other hand will have some time to unwind, relax, and get ready for the next step, whatever it may be. Whiting is a great place. Most of my classmates at Vance when I checked in were slightly envious of my past months as opposed to thiers. And this extra time at Whiting won't throw you behind because if I'm not mistaken,(someone chime in if I'm wrong) Whiting guys don't have to go casual before they report where a lot of the other guys get a few months casual.

Yeah, the Navy training is different, they don't hold your hand. It's a big boy program so take your ENJJPT scores and run the show. And on the days when your not talking about your scores that should have gotten you "a plane to have fun in," go grab a bushwhacker from Bamboo Willies on the beach, throw an extra shot of 151 in it and check out the eye candy. Vance sure as he!! won't have that.

Guest DaRevrend
And this extra time at Whiting won't throw you behind because if I'm not mistaken,(someone chime in if I'm wrong) Whiting guys don't have to go casual before they report where a lot of the other guys get a few months casual.
Chime. You are wrong. Plenty of Whiting folks sit casual before getting over to Pcola. I sat casual for nine months, and know of people who graduated with me (May 05) that will not get here until October. If you do come directly here there is no casual, just waiting in "A" pool on a first come first serve basis for classing up. Guys that graduated a month ago that come straight here will class up and start UPT before people that graduated with me because the Navy ignores class start dates. If you arrive first, you start first...end of story.

Rev

thanks hydro for taking the words out of my mouth!

topper harley, stop *****ing about where you're going. a lot of us that are trying to get slots would give our left nut for how the dice rolled for you. shit, if the af moved upt to malmstrom or minot i'd still kill for it.

i hope you do get to change bases and get stuck at laughlin. it's sort of like the beach just w/o the ocean and the beautiful florida girls.

Hydro, for you for telling this guy the TRUTH.

Topper, whoever told you about Whiting taking forever needs to update their info. I've been at P-Cola/Whiting for 1 year now, and I'll finish Primary tomorrow. I got here when there were very few IPs and I sat for 2 1/2 months after ground school to start flying. Now once you finish ground school you are thrown into the T-34. I wish I was that lucky! Now there are guys who got here in Jan/Feb and are finishing with me (priority given to the 06 guys because VT-3 can recoup those numbers, us 05 guys are a lost cause).

I just want to fly something that I will have fun in.
If you're not having fun while flying a C152 that's held together with duct tape and gum, then you don't need to be flying. The T-34 Turboweenie is a lot of fun to fly, so suck it up, get here, and do your best. If you want -38s out of here, you can get them if you don't suck.

Bender, your turn...

Guest futurpilot
Originally posted by Topper:

I had little to no knowledge of what the bases for UPT were about when I filled out my form 53.

Well, you could have done a little research buddy :rolleyes:

I have no remorse. You should be stoked just to get a slot....like many have said, there are tons of people out there who would kill to be on your shoes. Be happy with what you got.

Guest Grouch

I don't know about primary, but thank god for navy advanced it waas one hell of a breather after tweets. Flying any plane that small and aerobatic is gonna be fun, even if it isn't the mighty Tweet. If nothing else you'll get more downtime to drink beer and grill on the beach. There will still be plenty of deployments and TDYs to go around after you're done

• 7 years later...

Thread revival, I am a rotc grad, suppose to be going to upt at Columbus. My EAD and upt dates keep getting pushed back, at this point I am looking at late January early February. I am told that the weather in CBM has been bad and that's whats backing every thing up. SSgts at my old det are just about useless and refuse to do anything they don't have to. Is there anyway I can call afpc and ask if any of the other bases have earlier dates? I'm not to heart set on CBM, could care less where I go, just want to get on active duty and start upt. Also my wife lost her health insurance several months ago, and it's nerve racking to think we will be without insurance for several more months.

In the grand scheme of things jan/feb is not that far off. I wouldn't start making phone calls by any means. It could be worse, i waited nearly 18 mos. as a civilian for my OTS start date (mostly without decent insurance). I would look into Cobra insurance (I think that's what it's called now), it's an excellent "go between" type insurance.

Very helpful Bronco and Odium.

Can you talk to your Det/CC and explain your situation? I would explain the loss of health insurance thing being your main drive to want to go active asap. You will have a lot better luck with that angle than the "I just want to start flying" thing.

Probably not too big of a help but I know it can be done. When I was on casual waiting on UPT, I was able to call and get in a class that started 3 weeks earlier. That was ten years ago, but I'm pretty sure the personnelists had the numbe at AFPC that I called. Plying enlisted dudes with beer always works better than just writing them off as useless. They can probably at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Probably not too big of a help but I know it can be done. When I was on casual waiting on UPT, I was able to call and get in a class that started 3 weeks earlier. That was ten years ago, but I'm pretty sure the personnelists had the numbe at AFPC that I called. Plying enlisted dudes with beer always works better than just writing them off as useless. They can probably at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Unfortunately most dets become as useful as finance to recent grads. The NCOs who really control all the paperwork and know the system, usually refuse to/say they can't help. This isn't aircrew, it's shoe clerks.

You can trade with other LTs, if you can find someone who has an important event (wedding, ect.) then you two can switch however that window is probably pasted since I only ever saw it tried for guys who were getting married the summer after they graduated and got orders to leave before their wedding.

Edited by Fuzz

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps the best officer I ever met taught us the power of a case a beer and log of dip, you would be amazed at what people will do. Sadly my old NCOs are text book shoe clerks when it comes to helping us, and are of the non drinking/smoking variety. I tried asking them for help, got a lecture on how it is not their job and they don't ask questions, just take orders and say "yes sir". Old commander is no longer contactable for reasons not be discussed here. No clue who the new guy is. Tried swapping dates, earlier UPT are worth twice their weight in gold, no one is giving those up. Cobra is out of our affordability, with both of us working minimum wage jobs we just can't afford it. That BS degree in basket weaving was great to boost the grades for the UPT slot, not so great in the real world job market.

Would it be a rookie 2Lt mistake just to call the AFPC number on their website and ask? Not trying to make a complete fool of myself here.

You do have health insurance under the AF even while awaiting to EAD and I believe any health expenses incurred by your wife would be reimbursed once you enroll her in DEERS. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, since its been a couple years since I was in your shoes but if that is your biggest concern, you might be freaking out over nothing.

ETA: finding someone who can actually give you the information you need, well all I can say is welcome to AF medical.

Edited by Fuzz

I feel bad for you guys joining these days. Letting people sign a 10 year contract, then leaving them unemployed for 6 months is unconscionable. However, you have just learned an important lesson in how the AF treats people. If you're ever in a position to change this sort of bullshit, do it. I hope you find health insurance for you and your wife. Good luck at UPT.

• Upvote 1

You do have health insurance under the AF even while awaiting to EAD and I believe any health expenses incurred by your wife would be reimbursed once you enroll her in DEERS. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, since its been a couple years since I was in your shoes but if that is your biggest concern, you might be freaking out over nothing.

ETA: finding someone who can actually give you the information you need, well all I can say is welcome to AF medical.

I feel bad for you guys joining these days. Letting people sign a 10 year contract, then leaving them unemployed for 6 months is unconscionable. However, you have just learned an important lesson in how the AF treats people. If you're ever in a position to change this sort of bullshit, do it. I hope you find health insurance for you and your wife. Good luck at UPT.

Noted, noted, and thanks

Edited by viper154