How to change/swap/trade UPT assignments or bases

Guest driftsight

Guest AirGuardian

Get your training manager to call the Guard Bureau and see if there are any other requests for Laughlin by students selected for Vance or Sheppard(doubtful), its worth a shot. One for one swaps are easier or getting early FY dates are easier to manipulate if your willing to wait a month or two if another student is willing to take Laughlin as a price to go earlier. My friend was working the slots when I worked up in D.C., so I've seen it done.

One case of Heineken and I was off to CB instead of Laughlin...but that's a different case literally. Good luck!

Guest tonyrbrts

Can Active Duty UPT selects get their assignment changed to a different Base? I have the website for 19afpub which lists the empty class and base assignment dates but I have a feeling those are for ROTC UPT Studs and not for Active Duty guys.

If it is possible to switch, would anyone want to trade a Vance AFB RNLTD 1 Jul 04 and CL 05-12 with a CSD 09 Jul 04 for anywhere else at anytime? Probably will have to be another Active Duty guy on a one for one swap! Thanks

Guest jtpuro

I think the 19 AF website with empty dates applies to any UPT-bound person who fits the criteria (IFT & MFS complete). The site says you can't change base assignments "unless the student has a substantiated hardship that is unique to them and no one else," so looks like you're stuck at Vance...

• 1 year later...
Guest driftsight

I need to push my UPT start date back one month from Sep 05 to Oct 05. It shouldn't be that hard. I'm sure there are plenty of studs out there who wouldn't mind jumping ahead one month or even possibly changing bases.

Is it possible to switch with someone? I've tried to contact AFPC and others. I'm running into walls everywhere. I seems I can't even find the right people to talk to.

Why do I want to push it back? It doesn't matter but I'll let you know if you really want to know. Thanks all...

Guest sickels101

Dude, I'm glad I'm not in your shoes on this one. Working with ASPC is like stabbing your eyeballs out. First off all, I would contact the unit you are going to (at Vance it would be the 71 OSS, ask for Gene) and see what they can do. ASPC ain't gonna help too much as they are run by the Devil. I guess that is what I would do as OSS runs class dates here and there have been dudes whom have changed their dates through them here.

Guest bmmcgraw

not a big deal, don't worry about working it through AFPC work it through your registrar at your UPT base. Students in classes change many times before the actual class start date.

Guest rumblefish_2

With all of the budget stuff going on and other dudes being "shelved" (T-6 or not), I would go with CH on this one. I wouldn't mess with jumping FY's...

Guest SnakeT38

CH speaks with MUCH wisdom on this, get your foot IN THE DOOR ASAP!!!!!!!!! Things are changing.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

You would be an idiot to even suggest (to AFPC) moving your UPT start date into another fiscal year. They've cut UPT slots, what, 30% already from last year? AFPC will bend you over sooner or later...don't give them an excuse to do it before you even get started. Tread very lightly.

I know all that's been said before, but just don't want you doing anything you'll later regret. $.02

IN 1990 they cut buttloads of UPT slots and anyone who had theirs pushed back for Master's, weddings, etc...became a Nav. Or....worse.

Guest rotorhead
Originally posted by SoNotToSpeak:

ASPC ain't gonna help too much as they are run by the Devil.

AFPC has the unfortunate responsibility of trying to be fair. If any one student gets any slight "special deal" the following will happen:

1 hour after the deal: everyone on earth has email traffic/rumor/gossip about the deal.

1 hour+1 minute after the deal: AFPC starts getting 10000 emails and phone calls from the other dudes that want the good deal.

You cannot give a "deal" to ANYONE unless you are prepared to give it to EVERYONE. The whining will be followed by the contact from the kid's lawyer or his daddy rabbit General or Congressman.

Originally posted by rotorhead:

AFPC has the unfortunate responsibility of trying to be fair. If any one student gets any slight "special deal" the following will happen:

1 hour after the deal: everyone on earth has email traffic/rumor/gossip about the deal.

1 hour+1 minute after the deal: AFPC starts getting 10000 emails and phone calls from the other dudes that want the good deal.

You cannot give a "deal" to ANYONE unless you are prepared to give it to EVERYONE. The whining will be followed by the contact from the kid's lawyer or his daddy rabbit General or Congressman.

So true! The problem is that while many times there may be a legitimate reason for a "special/good deal" by the time the unwashed masses hear about it, the story never contains the supporting details. You only hear about the good deal portion, not the fact that the dude got non-vol'd for a year remote to Buttcrackistan prior to that, or that the "good deal" was a special needs request. There is almost always more to the story.

Guest driftsight

I got accepted to the new accession language program (LASI). The AF pays for immersion language training in a foreign country - in my case it's Russia. The dates are from Aug 7 to Sep 17. According to the guy in charge of LASI the dates are inflexible. The problem is that my UPT class start date is 16 Sep. Thinking about what could happen with losing my slot makes me feel ill. But I don't want to just give up so easily. Thanks for the input everybody - I really appreciate it. I'm going to talk to my gaining unit Capt about it...

Guest driftsight

I just called the registrar at my gaining unit. I got word to call someone at ASPC about it - they said the higher commands need to know. Fcuk it, I'm going to take the hit on this one. I'm going to fund my own trip this time. I'll have more fun going there on my own before UPT anyway - can you spell "Debauchery 24/7"? :D

You guys are right. I want to be totally off their radar if/when they decide to delay or cut slots. Thanks again for the advice!

Guest Rainman A-10

You're jumping more than a month, you're jumping fiscal years. That can be dangerous.

I would even think about it unless sticking with the Sep 05 date would cause EXTREME personal hardship.

• 11 months later...

Well I guess I have to give a little background on this. I had little to no knowledge of what the bases for UPT were about when I filled out my form 53. I am now on active duty on casual until April of 07, and then I will attend UPT at Whiting Field in Pensacola. I put this as my first choice because of the location near the beach and whatnot. I am now hearing bad things about it like having to wait for training forever. I told a person all of my numbers and they wondered why I did not get an ENJJPT slot. I said I did not put in for it because I heard it was harder and you go fighter/bomber. I now hear it is easier since you know you are already tracking T-38s and it takes alot of pressure off. I am not sure what I would like to fly, but I don't want to be behind just because I went train with the Navy first. I'm sure there is slim to no chance of me getting an ENJJPT slot, but what are the chances that I could go to somewhere else, or how do I get my name in the hat to change UPT bases???

[ 18. June 2006, 19:06: Message edited by: Toro ]

dont sweat it too much- take what life gives you and press. from what i've read/heard, its just different. and it could be worse- at least you're on AD now and getting paid and not having to go out to the civilian workforce for a while

[ 12. June 2006, 17:26: Message edited by: jazzdude ]

Guest pjc2002

What do you want to fly? I'm at Pensacola right now for Water Survival - of all the base locations it seems to be the nicest. Moody is probably a close second. If you want to go fighter/bomber then go get that ENJJPT slot, you never know how many 38's are going to be in the drop at other bases. If you want to fly a real plane, Pensacola is a great place to start.

Guest DaRevrend

Ah, the LT rumor mill is a powerful thing. How many people did you talk to about this terrible wait? It's all about timing and you will report here at the perfect time. The wait will be down and the new LTs will not have rolled into town yet. I'll share my case, but a few extra weeks getting paid to do nothing in late spring in Pcola isn't exactly torture.

I am wrapping up API right now, and I only waited 3 weeks to class up, to include in-processing time. I'm told I'll have another 4 or so weeks wait between API and Primary and VT-3 is cooking right now with a surplus of IPs. So far I am loving the experience, the AF is demolishing the Navy/Marines at their own game and I'm learning a ton about the mindset/SOPs of the other services. Take your blessing in disguise and come down to Whiting with a great attitude. The few more months you might wait will mean nothing five years from now.

If you want to try to switch UPT bases you can contact the Rated Officer Procurement Team at AFPC, Mr. Barney Clay and throw your name on a list. Good luck. I'm off the GAL now so I can't hook it up with his number.

Hope that helps calm your fears a bit. Chill out, enjoy casual to the fullest and then kick ass at UPT, regardless of where you end up or what services you train with.

Rev

Guest Hydro130

WTFO?!?

Dude, you got a UPT slot -- have you no clue how many of your peers would kill for it? And you have the nads to get on this board and whine about YOUR choice (that you were lucky enough to get, btw). Furthermore, you randomly and unconstructively b!tch to the world that you're bitter that you weren't smart enough to do ENJJPT?!?

Ugggghhhh. Talk about an up-and-coming SNAP....

Quit yer f*ing whining and go to UPT where ever the f*ck the USAF sends you! Is that SUCH an inconvenience?

Hydro

Dude,

Enjoy your time off, relax, and just go to whiting. I was a whiting guy, and it was awesome down there. The training is different, but the flying is fun with the squids. You'll have a good time down there.

As for getting an opportunity to get the T-38, if you’re a good student/pilot, it doesn't matter where you go for training, you'll most likely get a T-38. Granted, timing can screw you sometimes, but if you’re good, you’re good.

Whiting was last on my list as well, and looking back, that was the best part of UPT for me.

Just my 2 cents.....

MK

Hydro - my thoughts exactly.....

[ 12. June 2006, 18:25: Message edited by: mmkk111 ]

Hey dude, take your Whiting slot and run. The wait isnt that bad and plus a few down weeks is a hell of a lot better when you live next to the beach, then say gettin a casual assignment at CAFB or the such. Quitin *****in and get ready to have some fun at the beach.