U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Really? I would think that quite a few fighter dudes make up a decent portion of the U-2 cadre...I guess that's not the case? Any reason in particular these guys can't apply right now?

Yes, we have a fair number of former fighter/attack/bomber pilots... as well as every other community.

However, the wheels fell of the bus, with respect to fighter pilot manning,... and the fighter porch says they need every single body.

I have received a lot of calls from 11F's that are trying to get to the U-2, but cannot do it.

A brief list of the pilot backgrounds we have is as follows: A-10, F-14, F-15C, F-15E, F-16, F-18, F-117, B-1, B-2, B-52, S-3, KC-135, RC-135, C-5, C-9, C-12, MC-12, C-17, C-21, C-130, E-3, P-3, E-8, RQ-4, U-28, T-1, TA-4, T-6, T-34, T-37, T/AT-38, T-45, Cobra, Huey, Phrog, Blackhawk.

Just remember that the "J" is silent...

What??

I thought the 'J' makes a 'hhh' sound,...

and a 'H' is silent.

Very confusing.

Edited by Huggyu2

A brief list of the pilot backgrounds we have is as follows: A-10, F-14, F-15C, F-15E, F-16, F-18, F-117, B-1, B-2, B-52, S-3, KC-135, RC-135, C-5, C-9, C-12, MC-12, C-17, C-21, C-130, E-3, P-3, E-8, U-28, T-1, TA-4, T-6, T-34, T-37, T/AT-38, T-45, Cobra, Huey, Phrog, Blackhawk.

So no Global Hawk guys? Weird. I figured it would be an easy crossflow for them since they already have all the same capabilities. :beer:

So no Global Hawk guys? Weird. I figured it would be an easy crossflow for them since they already have all the same capabilities. :beer:

It's kind of like having that weird uncle in your family. You don't want anyone to know you're actually related to them.

• Upvote 1

So far, yes. AFPC will not entertain fighter pilots, B-2 and B-52 pilots, AFSOC (possibly some exceptions here), and no Guard/Reserve.

I'll post when/if it changes.

If they're not releasing fighter/bombers is the best bet then trying for a white jet VML and try to apply from there or is there a better route?

If they're not releasing fighter/bombers is the best bet then trying for a white jet VML and try to apply from there or is there a better route?

In days of old (don't know if it's changed, but I doubt it), the fighter/bomber manpower guys in AFPC rated assignments still owned your ass, even if they let you go to a white jet, so they still had control when you left. If their policy is no fighter/bomber guys, they probably won't let you go to special programs when you come out of the white jet tour either.

Edited by HiFlyer

In days of old (don't know if it's changed, but I doubt it), the fighter/bomber manpower guys in AFPC rated assignments still owned your ass, even if they let you go to a white jet, so they still had control when you left. If their policy is no fighter/bomber guys, they probably won't let you go to special programs when you come out of the white jet tour either.

True statement, AETC doesn't own CAF dudes while they do their white jet tour, your old functional does.

I plan on applying for the U-2, but don't know if I should apply now or wait. I applied to TPS this year, and have another 3 attempts to apply before my TAFSC cuts me off. Should I apply for U-2s sooner than later or wait a few years? Thanks for the guidance.

I plan on applying for the U-2, but don't know if I should apply now or wait. I applied to TPS this year, and have another 3 attempts to apply before my TAFSC cuts me off. Should I apply for U-2s sooner than later or wait a few years? Thanks for the guidance.

What's your ultimate goal? To go to TPS or fly U-2s? If it's to go to TPS and you're a cargo/tanker pilot (assumption made by me based on the fact that the CAF porch won't release folks to the U-2), then you're probably better served continuing in your MWS as that extra experience can help in future applications (assuming you don't get in).

On the other hand, having a varied flying background is usually looked upon favorably upon TPS selection boards, but ultimately, you probably have a better chance of being selected as a heavy pilot than a recce pilot based on recents classes.

So no Global Hawk guys?

I know of two that were hired.

Weird. I figured it would be an easy crossflow for them since they already have all the same capabilities. :beer:

Kind of like your mom would be an easy crossflow from a Dyson vacuum.

EDIT: :beer:

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 1

Neat - I thought the whole sextant (preGPS) thing was pretty cool. Also High Key at 1,500 AGL? I think that's normally called initial.

Not if your engine's pooped out! It's a whole lot quieter!!!

Edited by HiFlyer

Cool.

I missed getting to interview in the C-model by 2 years.

HiFlyr: that must have been pretty cool, flying a U-2 with a thrust-to-weight ratio of better than 1:1.

Yeah, it was a real rocket (engine thrust - about 18k, airframe fueled weight - about 17k with a pattern ride fuel load) and the first ride put you on your back so fast that you didn't really grasp it. The trick was to get it going straight up from standing start to vertical right over the middle of the runway (about 3000 ft from brake release to accelerating vertically), then be able to control it so you recovered without winding up on your back at low airspeed and lose it inverted. You could actually accelerate vertcally until you reached max limit airspeed, and even farther if you wanted to tear the wings off! However, the scariest part of that first ride was when the IP decided to go look at some rental property that he wanted to buy...suddenly there we were about 15 miles SE of D-M at about 100 ft in the -CT hopping over tree lines and wires while he tried to find the apartments. I was "concerned" to say the least, but he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. We went over some trees and pushed back down and wound up staring eye-to-eye with a guy in a big tractor on the rising terrain. We pulled up and he bailed out the side. I couldn't believe it. There was a slightly different attitude among some of those old guys in the 60s and early 70s! Luckily, I flew my next rides with Hector and it was a bit more sane, and we never heard about it from anybody (police, FAA, newspapers, etc.).

• Upvote 5

Neat - I thought the whole sextant (preGPS) thing was pretty cool. Also High Key at 1,500 AGL? I think that's normally called initial.

Last i knew, the U-2 has a decent glide ratio...I bet high key for the f-16 is substantially higher

Last i knew, the U-2 has a decent glide ratio...I bet high key for the f-16 is substantially higher

About 22:1 clean. The equates to 37nm per 10,000'.

With the gear down, it drops to 31nm per 10,000'.