U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had no idea you could fly to the moon in one of those things. Is this picture a classification breach?

Might be able to get that far out with the wing pods removed. (I didn't even realize that they were removable...)

I'd like to get out to Beale and just watch one day...

Yup! The U-2G. As far as I know it was only used operationally a few of times

That is not a U-2G. That is a U-2R, which is much larger... the same airframe being flown today.

The U-2G was a modified U-2C model. You are correct that the U-2G flew a couple of operational sorties, watching the French set of nukes in the Pacific.

The U-2R never flew operationally off of the carrier.

• Upvote 1

That is not a U-2G. That is a U-2R, which is much larger... the same airframe being flown today.

The U-2G was a modified U-2C model. You are correct that the U-2G flew a couple of operational sorties, watching the French set of nukes in the Pacific.

The U-2R never flew operationally off of the carrier.

Oh yes, didn't even realise the U-2R was carrier capable!

But now I look at the image I can see it's a U-2R. What was entailed in making the aircraft capable of landing on a carrier, just the addition of a hook or more?

They also put a deflector-cage in front of the tail wheel and on the wingtips to keep them from snagging the the cable.

Additionally, the flaps could be lowered to 50 degrees, vice the normal 35 degree max setting. That added a lot of extra drag, and gave the power response they needed.

• Upvote 1

as the aircraft is flown today, are the control surfaces still so heavy as to require a yoke?

Not so much a function of the "heaviness", but more along the lines of needing a large throw. The yoke rotates 120 degrees.

or if it was redesigned today would they give it a stick?

If the aircraft were designed today, it wouldn't look anything like a U-2 , since the current U-2 fails all the test pilot evaluations on the Cooper-Harper scale. But if everything remained the same, a standard stick would not work. That's why we have the yoke.

Edited by Huggyu2

That is not a U-2G. That is a U-2R, which is much larger... the same airframe being flown today. The U-2G was a modified U-2C model. You are correct that the U-2G flew a couple of operational sorties, watching the French set of nukes in the Pacific. The U-2R never flew operationally off of the carrier.

I think we should bring this program back!