Speaking a foreign language

FlyAF

Guest big_oil

Arabic is spoken in India? I took the Hindi DLPT, only need a score of 2 to get foreign language pay for that.

I'm awaiting pilot training and I speak and understand two of the Immediate Investment languages well enough to get paid. The thing is, both languages are widely spoken in the so-called shithole countries like Pakistan, India and the Middle East in general so I'm a little apprehensive about getting these tests on my record.

BL: Although it might not be desirable to get pulled out of flying duties to pull tours in the sandbox, have you guys seen these assignments help or hurt careers? Just trying to decide whether or not the pros outweigh the cons...

• 5 months later...

Here's a story from AF times that mentions language pay and has Mongolian (google skillz).

Also try calling the AFSOTC Language Center at 850-884-1697. They do a lot of good work on Hurlburt for SOF guys here who need or want to learn languages for jobs and the people who work there (mostly civilians) are extremely nice, helpful, and it's a low-threat environment. I'm sure they could answer your question with more authority.

Edit to add: found the AF Strategic Language List for FY09 (not sure if there is a more current one). It's attached here. Also go here for more info/links/programs that you can shake a stick at. Also see Attachment 14 to AFI36-2605 for official guidance on how to obtain the current list of languages and the formula for determining how much money you get.

Edited by nsplayr

Here's a story from AF times that mentions language pay and has Mongolian (google skillz).

Also try calling the AFSOTC Language Center at 850-884-1697. They do a lot of good work on Hurlburt for SOF guys here who need or want to learn languages for jobs and the people who work there (mostly civilians) are extremely nice, helpful, and it's a low-threat environment. I'm sure they could answer your question with more authority.

Edit to add: found the AF Strategic Language List for FY09 (not sure if there is a more current one). It's attached here. Also go here for more info/links/programs that you can shake a stick at.

I tried Googling and could only find articles from a few years ago. My detachment commander had a list of languages, but it was outdated. Thanks for the number though. I hope they can answer what "other languages" means exactly in regards to importance.

I tried Googling and could only find articles from a few years ago. My detachment commander had a list of languages, but it was outdated. Thanks for the number though. I hope they can answer what "other languages" means exactly in regards to importance.

Either call or check out that Attachment 14 to the AFI. It has an email address where you can write and ask for the most current list. GL in your search.