General AF Reserve info

Guest chaw

Guest TheBurt

Your wound way to tight! I'm trying to help you, guess what, I've already got my wings, I know how the process works friend, maybe you didn't read that I came off the street too!! This board is mere entertainment for me when I'm at my crash pad, when I give advice it's free and based on experience. An "everyone go screw yourself attitude" doth not a fighter pilot make. Now for the good advice.

Consider this, when you go to an interview you have what? 15 to 30 minutes max, you have to sell yourself to the board, that's all you get, besides what you have down on your resume or "package", now the enlisted troop that is in the unit, has more than likely 1.deployed with the unit 2. been to about a million (or so it seems sometimes) drills 3. gotten to know the pilots (the guys he's going to serve with) 4. gone and got himself a degree while doing all of this and a private and/or commercial pilot certificate, You tell me, are you going to "impress" this board of pilot's that have pretty much seen it all, in just 15 to 30 minutes in your dark suit and blue tie, when there is a strapped down E-whatever in his dress blues full of military bearing and has proven over several years his loyalty to THAT unit and probably wouldn't be there if his supervisors in the engine shop or flight line or wherever didn't think he was a good troop?

Maybe you will get picked up, I did, but I'm just trying to tell you the way it works, you can decry the process and complain all you want. That young enlisted troop knew that was the process and went out and did what it takes!!! He didn't sit around on some message board that half the Air National Guard pilots read because they are bored to death between combat missions in the desert, and complain that all the enlisted guys are getting the pilot slots.

You talk about generalizations, then you say things like "crew chief of the month" and "university of screen door repair", let me set it straight for you. The young enlisted guy you are competing against, has probably won "Airman of the quarter, year etc." he's probably a lot more squared away than you think. You talk like they are some kind of second class citizen and don't deserve to have their service considered in the interview board, well you are way wrong.

Your attitude and contempt will show through in your interview, the boards aren't as aloof as you might think, they will pick up on quite a bit, adjust your attitude accordingly, and before you spew another venomous post to me, remember, I've already got mine, flown 6 rotations in combat, 14 years of flying Herks, flown with many enlisted guys that are totally squared away, and am just itching for the chance to send some of the qualified ones to UPT/UNT. Now you know the deal, do something about it, quit whining, you will get no sympathy from us!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Larzonia

Just a quick clarification. As a currently enlisted reservist myself, I first have to get selected by a unit unless I'm trying to apply unsponsored, then my application gets sent to an AFRC board as well as a OTS Board?

It all seems a bit confusing, so just wanted some clarification and if I'm oversimplying it and there's a step missing.

Guest comanche

Larz

You are correct about first being selected unless you want to try and apply unsponsored. If you go unsponsored you'll application will get sent to the AFRC board, it doesn't go to OTS that I know of. So all is right except the OTS board par that I know of.

Comanche

Guest Larzonia

So the OTS Board is only involved with active duty? And from what I've read.. if ya get a sponsor.. the AFRC is basically a rubber stamp 98% of the time.... so as long as ya can get a sponsor, pass the medicals, and get the "rubber stamp"... is there any other major loops to jump through to get to OTS and UPT? Remember this is all based on being an enlisted reservist prior and an commissioned reservist after. I just want to be 100% sure what deadlines I have to be concerned with.

Guest MitchBaernet

Is a Reservist required to reside in the same state in which their base is located? What is the maximum distance one can live from their base?

Thanks!

Let me take a stab at your questions.

The OTS board deals with active duty officer candidates, it is an acitve duty selection board. Both enlisted personnel and civilians apply to this board in hopes of being selected for the opportunity of gaining a commission in the AF. There are rated and non-rated boards (pilot is a rated position).

Then there is the Guard and Reserves side of the house. ANG units hold boards once a year, depending on their slot allocations for that fiscal year. Priors, current enlisted, civilians alike apply directly to the particular unit, some get selected to interview and from those a selection is made. Once the lucky winner(s) are selected by the unit, they are put thru the process, which includes all the paperwork and medical sh$t, then the commissioning is obtained by attending AMS, which is the Guard's version of OTS. After AMS comes UPT etc etc etc.

Now for your question. In the AF Reserves, AFRC holds a pilot selection board twice a year to approve candidates. In the Reserves your package gets submitted to the board either as a sponsored or an unsponsored candidate. Sponsored candidates are those who have been selected by the particular Reserve unit with which they interviewed. Reserve units hold interviews in a similar fashion as the ANG, but the final decision is not made by the unit, such in the case of the ANG, rather the approval is made by the AFRC board.

Now, the thing about sponsorship is that FOR THE MOST PART, it's a done deal. That is to say, if you interviewed with a Reserve unit and got selected you can pretty much consider that as the equivalent to having been selected in a Guard unit. When your package gets sent to the AFRC board as 'sponsored' you can pretty much expect to be approved, it is in effect a rubber stamp. There have been scenarios where a snag was encountered in the process, but for the sake of simplifying the discussion, the folks who are going sponsored to the board shouldn't even sweat that board, it's a non-issue.

Now, in addition to submitting a sponsored package, there is the option of submitting a package as an unsponsored candidate. This means there is no unit that has selected you, but the AFRC still enables you to be considered. What happens with the unsponsored route is that if you are approved by the AFRC board, you then become a 'free agent' of sorts and have to then start looking for a unit to call home. The slot expires age-wise only when you are no longer eligible to enter UPT and Robins does keep tabs on their selected 'free agents' as to try and match them with units that may have short-term manning needs or otherwise need to fill holes in their rosters (read sponsored guy washed out etc etc). It's on a voluntary basis (meaning they don't ASSIGN or ORDER you to be inducted into a particular unit) but most folks either flow into a unit they've been chasing or get selected into a Guard unit or perhaps go active by being selected by an OTS board, and we know this because the majority of folks applying to the Reserves are probably concurrently applying to Guard units and even the active (OTS) board.

Now in the case of Reserve pilot selectees, they obtain their comission thru OTS, just like the active duty OTS board selectees (sorry about the redundant statement). I'm not sure if some Reserve folks have gone thru AMS because of a time crunch, but we'll leave that aside. For the most part if you're active duty or Reserves, you get the bar out of OTS, if you're Guard, you go to AMS. After that like I said, everybody meets at UPT.

As it relates to your inquiry about your enlistment status, the short answer is that it doesn't matter. That is to say, the fact that you're currently enlisted doesn't put you on a different list regarding the AFRC board, deadlines are the same and the process you have to go through to get selected is the same as a civilian.

Hopefully that gives you a road map of the different routes, and I hope I addressed the Reserve questions you had sufficiently.

MDINC

Nice post, MDINC. It should be added to the selection process FAQ!

To answer your question about AMS...roughly 20% of each AMS class are AFRC folks. A very small number of those are going to rated career fields, as it seems to be unwritten policy that AFRC pilots and navs go to OTS unless there is an unusual circumstance.

AFAIK, the Guard and Reserve have no requirements on where you live, as long as you make it to drill. In my Guard unit we have quite a few that live out of state, one of the guys in my shop has a 9 hour drive to get to drill.

MP

Guest MitchBaernet
Originally posted by mphamer:

AFAIK, the Guard and Reserve have no requirements on where you live, as long as you make it to drill. In my Guard unit we have quite a few that live out of state, one of the guys in my shop has a 9 hour drive to get to drill.

MP

Thanks for the info. To follow up, does this hold true for anyone, or are there other limitations for pilots? I ask because I have a family member who has some interest in Palace Chasing to March ARB, and also a long term employment opportunity about 350 miles away!

Thanks!

Guest Larzonia

MDINC,

You most definitely addressed my concerns. I was just confused with the OTS Board part as Reserves have to go to OTS like active duty, but as you mentioned don't have to go through the OTS board, unlike active duty. One could easily think otherwise without clarification. That definitely clears things up and makes me much happier, one less hoop to jump through than I was expecting.

Definitely a good post, as well as Bergman's add on. The LT of my AMXS unit actually just cleared that one up a few days ago, saying pilots and navs go to OTS whereas everyone else tends to go to AMS. Kind of a bummer, I already did bootcamp, would've liked the shorter version, but I'm sure I'll be happy to just be there cause that'd mean UPT will be up shortly after.

Thanks ya all!

Guest jassayag

Mitch,

I'm with the unit at march (C-17), can't speak for the 135 folks, and we don't have a local area requirement. We have a bunch of guys from Phoeinx, Vegas, Nor. Cal. and even farther. Shouldn't be a problem with our unit. Good luck.

[ 25. September 2005, 16:57: Message edited by: H82LAND ]

Guest DudeWithACamera

Hi, I am looking for an opportunity to become a military fighter pilot without joining as active duty so that I can persue and unrelated career. Are there any ways to become a reserve or national guard pilot without fullfilling an active duty requirement first? The air force would probably be my first choice, but I'm equally excited about the marines or navy. Thanks!

You can get a slot through a guard unit, go to AMS and there ya go. However, the process is extremely competitive...your chances of getting a pilot slot are much higher if you do ROTC (depending on how old you are, still in school?, etc), or maybe even OTS. Getting a slot right now through OTS is also very difficult. If you have connections in a guard unit, then you'll have a way better chance, otherwise, good luck w/ the process. Bottom line - Possible, but very competitive right now.

Guest DudeWithACamera

If you do ROTC you can enter as a full time pilot, or as a part time something else, right? Can you do both though?

Not really, as an active duty pilot you will have non-flying duties, and non-flying tours, but nothing in the way of a true part-timer (read Guard or Reserve).

If you're wanting to pursue another career don't even mess with the AD side of things, cause you won't get the chance to [pursue the career concurrently] :D .

ROTC is strictly an active duty commissioning source btw, some crazy scenarios may have happened I'm sure, but for the most part, no part-time gig comes out of ROTC.

The NAVY does have Reserves but in essence they don't hire non-rated folks if I understand their process correctly. So that's not an option. I think pretty much the ANG and AF Reserves is your way to go. Depending on what airframe you're shooting for the pickings might be slimmer or better. But I second brabus in suggesting to you that the process is very competitive, so in the absence of a solid connection or the fortune of good timing it may take years to get there. So start now!

Good luck man

MDINC

Guest rumblefish_2

If you want to be a guard/reserve military fighter pilot you will essentially be active duty for about four years with 1 year of UPT, 1 year of IFF/Survivals/FTU, and 2 years of seasoning. Being a fighter pilot will have to be your priority for a while. If you want to pursue that other career so badly then pursue it. Being a fighter pilot is not something you just do on the weekends as a hobby with the minimum effort to get in. Wait, I'm such a hypocrite...

[ 03. October 2005, 23:14: Message edited by: rumblefish_2 ]

Guest SuperStallionIP
Originally posted by DudeWithACamera:

Hi, I am looking for an opportunity to become a military fighter pilot without joining as active duty so that I can persue and unrelated career. Are there any ways to become a reserve or national guard pilot without fullfilling an active duty requirement first? The air force would probably be my first choice, but I'm equally excited about the marines or navy. Thanks!

No Marine pilots directly enter the reserves from civilian world. They all spend their required commitment on active duty before they have the option. Not sure about the Navy but I would bet they are the same way as well.

• 1 month later...
Guest ReserveWpilot

Alright, Im new to this post so I would like to say Hi to everyone here and thanks to those helping me out. Ok, now back to business.

I recently decided I want to become a Air force reserve pilot but haven't really done any volunteer work or anything like that the Air force wants to see. I'm in my second year of college right now so I have some time before I have to send my package out. I am really working hard to get my PPL before I get out of college. If I could get some advice on what I should do to be more competitive I would really appreciate it.

Guest comanche

Network!! I'm finding out that the flying hours don't make a difference, grades, etc. Sure you have to have good grades, and some flying time, but everyone has that. If I could do it all over again I'd start going to the unit I want to get picked up by. Not sure if this is possible for you to do or not. If they know you that will make more of a difference then having some volunteer work.

Just my .02, and this has been asked a million times, so maybe the search function.

Guest comanche

That bird on the shoulder isn't enough, unless they are in charge. I have 2 LOR's from those types and nothing, one was a 38 IP and the other a 130 AC. I'm tring for a two star now......I'll see if that helps.

On a serious note, I, too, had a letter from a retired O-6 (Navy). Another was from a college prof. The letter from the O-6 was good, but it basically said what any other letter from an officer would say: this guy would be a great officer in your unit, etc. The letter my college prof wrote was different. The SQ/CC told me the board loved it. Folks like this (a good college prof) probably don't write many letters to military boards. Therefore, their style will mostly likely be different and, hopefully, catchy. Not to mention the good things they can honestly say about you that the bird or star your uncle went to high school with can't.

That has been my experience. Being an alternate, if I have to get letters for another board, you damn well better believe I'm going to get that one re-dated at the very least.

EDIT: The O-6 in my case was my flight instructor.

[ 21. November 2005, 22:31: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Guest comanche

If you read this board that is what people do. You call, find out when their weekend is, and ask if visitors can come. Then you sit there and wait for someone to walk by that you can introduce yourself too.

Guest SnakeT38

Bring much beer, some women too, since you will have a "pass" and get them to the unit club.

The pilots always love new "fans".

If you can do this........you can do anything.

One more thing, you may need to bring the person

that buys the beer FOR YOU, to bring to the pilots, so that they can see you OBEY the law if you are not old enough to buy your own beer.

Guys like Rainman and Bozz will really be impressed by these "qualifications".