Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SnowboardDEN

I wear contacts for distant vision and was wondering if I could use contacts in OTS? If not, what steps do I need to take to get the black 'sporty' AF eye glasses? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this post.

Guest ASUcadet
I wear contacts for distant vision and was wondering if I could use contacts in OTS? If not, what steps do I need to take to get the black 'sporty' AF eye glasses? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this post.

I wore Day and Night contacts to Field Training for AFROTC. You sleep with them in and they're good for a month, so they're a lot less hassle than normal contacts or glasses. Supposedly they're cleaner than normal contacts too, because you don't have to put your fingers in your eyes every night to take them out and they're made out of a different material so they allow enough oxygen to reach your eyes, even when you're sleeping. I wouldn't recommend the contacts that you have to take out every night because if OTS is like FT, then you won't have time to mess around with them every morning/night (30 seconds of hygiene/free time is a lot during training).

Guest SnowboardDEN
I wore Day and Night contacts to Field Training for AFROTC. You sleep with them in and they're good for a month, so they're a lot less hassle than normal contacts or glasses. Supposedly they're cleaner than normal contacts too, because you don't have to put your fingers in your eyes every night to take them out and they're made out of a different material so they allow enough oxygen to reach your eyes, even when you're sleeping. I wouldn't recommend the contacts that you have to take out every night because if OTS is like FT, then you won't have time to mess around with them every morning/night (30 seconds of hygiene/free time is a lot during training).

ASUcadet, thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into that. I would also prefer contacts, but I wonder if changing them once a month at OTS is still considered a hassle?! I appreciate your advice!

Guest tokenchick
I wear contacts for distant vision and was wondering if I could use contacts in OTS?

In the first three days, I had a hard time being able to wear them, but after the first weekend I would take my lens case with me and put them in after PT either during the first class or when I could find time. My vision doesn't suck so bad I had to wear them during PT or just marching around.

Guest SnowboardDEN

First off, thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. A few additional questions:

Tokenchick: Did you have a hard time wearing them because the instructors gave you trouble or you didn't have enough time to put them in every day? I am planning on keeping them in the entire week until I can clean them on the weekend.

Kayla: Thanks for your advice. I'll follow that!

Mike Honcho: When did you attend OTS? I'm wondering if the policy changed because it seems like Kayla and Tokenchick were able to wear them. I might have to give AFOATS a call.

It turns out that I might have another dilemma. From my understanding, a week after graduation from Maxwell, I have to go to Brooks for my final medical screening. Turns out you can't wear soft contacts within 30 days of the medical screening. Looks like I might have to get the sporty AF glasses at some point. :rock:

Guest tokenchick
Tokenchick: Did you have a hard time wearing them because the instructors gave you trouble or you didn't have enough time to put them in every day? I am planning on keeping them in the entire week until I can clean them on the weekend.

It turns out that I might have another dilemma. From my understanding, a week after graduation from Maxwell, I have to go to Brooks for my final medical screening. Turns out you can't wear soft contacts within 30 days of the medical screening. Looks like I might have to get the sporty AF glasses at some point. :rock:

The first three days were the worst for time. There wasn't any, so I wore my glasses or went without. After that, no one ever asked me if I was wearing them. The regs say you can wear them for everything but some of the stuff in the field, but I wore them for everything. No one ever checked.

For Brooks, you'll just have to suck up not wearing your contacts for 30 days before you go. The final four weeks of OTS aren't that bad, so wearing glasses won't be a big deal. They also don't care what kind of glasses they are, civilian or military.

• 5 months later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

Toro and I both agreed there is not one good thread with just helpful OTS tips. So post anything helpful in here. I'm going to start with adding the statistics I found for OTS selections, starting DEC 00 to July 03.

OTS Statistics

• 7 months later...
Guest Bing

I was wondering - when you go to OTS (at later UPT) - where do you keep your stuff?

I know your brings clothes and toiletries to OTS, but does anyone know what you do with any books you may have? Sporting equipment (like skis, SCUBA gear, etc.)? A computer? TV? What about bigger items like a bed, a couch or even your car?

What are you allowed to bring, and where do you keep it?

Thanks,

"Bing"

Take what you are required, leave the rest at home. When you PCS to your first duty station, they will allow you to move from your Home of Record or your current location, and even pick up from both locations.

Guest Bing

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean I should keep my apartment during my time at OTS and UPT, just for storage?

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean I should keep my apartment during my time at OTS and UPT, just for storage?

Depends. If your UPT is a TDY, then yes. If it is a PCS and you are TDY to OTS enroute, you should have them pick up your stuff before you go to OTS. They will keep your HHG in storage for 90 days after your RNLTD and extend as necessary. If otherwise, I'd put all my crap in a storage unit. A lot less cheaper/month.

For those of us PCS'ing to UPT, whats the deal with our furniture if we are to live in the dorms?

Will our stuff be held in storage for free or will we have to find our own storage after X amount of days?

For those of us PCS'ing to UPT, whats the deal with our furniture if we are to live in the dorms?

Will our stuff be held in storage for free or will we have to find our own storage after X amount of days?

If you live in the dorms at UPT, you can put your furniture in the room. They will just take all the AF supplied furniture out of there.

As for storage, it depends on if you DITY or not. DITY, the AF will reimburse you up to 90 days I think for putting stuff in storage. If you have the AF move your stuff, they will store it for a little longer if you opt for that. You won't really have access to it though, so that sucks. If you have more stuff that will fit in the dorm room, get a storage place off base until you can move off base.

When I commissioned and got ready to leave for UPT I just had TMO pick up all of my furniture and big shit that I had and then I just packed my truck with my DVDs, uniforms, clothes, tv, and my computer. I figured I would live in the dorms and use Big Blue's furniture. If I decided to live off base I could have my stuff taken from the storage unit that Uncle Sam put my stuff in and use that furniture in my off base crib.

Honestly, living in the dorms at UPT was a great time, I would even say it was more fun than college. UPT was not more fun than college but the off duty time was. Maybe it was because I could afford better alcohol.

Also have 0400 shows were less painful when you lived two minutes away from the squadron.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Skyrider

I saw a lot of buzz cuts while I was there, and plenty of them done in a dorm room by other trainees! Bald, buzzed, high and tight, whatever as long as it's in regs. It has to taper a little bit at the bottom of the neck but if it's short enough it looks like it does anyhow because it will lay flatter there. Take a pair of clippers with you. There was a "barbershop" in one of the empty dorm rooms every weekend and sometimes during the week!

Edited by Skyrider

Fail.

No MTI is going to comment on the "tapered appearance" of your hair. Buzz cuts are fine, and if it looks sharp you'll probably get some points with your flight commander.

Hair length or tapered appearance was hardly a special interest item there anyway. If your hair was a little long, nobody really gave a sh*t, but God forbid you had a chord on your uniform or you didn't shave 10 minutes prior to an inspection.

Dated information, but I doubt much has changed.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys quick question on boots during OTS:

While trying on boots yesterday the sage 'Danner USAF IFX' were by far the most comfortable. I was told by the sales staff that they were not sanctioned by the Air Force due to being made in china. However, several AF servicemembers purchased the boots while I was there, and mentioned to be that they were popular.

Does anyone have any advice for me on this? Should it be a matter of concern for me at OTS?

Thank you very much.

• 3 months later...
Guest AspiringPilot

Hey guys, so I'll most likely be applying for Air Force OTS and possibly Navy OCS. This fall I'll be a Junior in college, would you recommend that I start flight training for my PPL this summer or next summer? (I'm graduating in May, 2013 so I'd apply possibly as early as May 2012).

Guest Zerohour

Hey guys, so I'll most likely be applying for Air Force OTS and possibly Navy OCS. This fall I'll be a Junior in college, would you recommend that I start flight training for my PPL this summer or next summer? (I'm graduating in May, 2013 so I'd apply possibly as early as May 2012).

You just posted in the other thread how you cant justify spending another year in college but yet are willing to fork out 5000$ for a PPL with the OTS selection being almost non existant. I think you need to come to reality here my friend, either do rotc and suck up the additional costs for an extra year or go to the Marine OCS program, i know 3 people that have successfully quit AFROTC and joined the marine OCS pilot program and have made it through.

• Upvote 1