Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

• 1 month later...

I could be completely wrong...but I believe you will always be able to wear your badges. I do not know about the ribbons. I would thing that if they are strickly enlisted ribbons then :no:, but then again I am just guessing.

Guest pcampbell

Yes, you will wear them all. I still wear the good conduct medal and I have a bronze oak leaf on the basic training ribbon.

• 1 month later...
Guest mr_gordon777

I did a search on this but couldn't find anything...If you come out at as a commissioned officer from both AMS and OTS, why is OTS twice as long? Do cadets learn more in OTS? What are the differences?

Guest bgpilot99

Most guard guys have already gone through basic training and have an average of 5-10 years time in service when they go through AMS. I don't believe the average cadet at OTS comes in with that much prior experience. That's the reasoning I've been told.

Guest GU96932

being from AMS, our FA's (most of whom came from OTS) stated that we cover the same items and requirements in OTS, however, AMS is "loaded" into six weeks. How true this, i do not know, but this is what we were told.

I went to OTS - nearly half our class was prior service so highly doubt this is the reason.

From talking to friends in AMS - I think it's the same program, just the Guard figured out how to schedule it in 6 weeks instead of 12.

OTS is suppose to go to 16 weeks in the near future - at least they were talking about it when I left this summer.

along with all the stuff mentioned before, get rid of the week long "AEF" deployment across base, all the flickerball and volley war games, the leadership course that you do twice(I can't remember what it was called but it was actually fun), and about a million other useless activities at OTS and it would be a six week course. The FA's were talking about all the academic classs and PT requirements.

Guest AirGuardian

How about this one for the Guard ONLY (not Reserves),

Because we tend to take care of our people the best on many fronts, NOT ALL I'm sure - We're just doing it smarter for those who need to get back to their civilian jobs, granted - you could argue that the Reserves give their people more pay by keeping their folks in training longer. Just depends if you're getting a pay cut by being in the Guard vs your OTHER job whatever that might be...

That was not the book answer, but then again none of this really matters since it hasn't changed for many years!

Originally posted by GU96932:

being from AMS, our FA's (most of whom came from OTS) stated that we cover the same items and requirements in OTS, however, AMS is "loaded" into six weeks. How true this, i do not know, but this is what we were told.

I find it hard to believe that the AMS curriculum covers everything the OTS one does. The 12 weeks at OTS were pretty packed in. I don't remember many times where I was not totally busy and/or totally tired. Of course, the extra 6 weeks that you spend at OTS could just be due to extra BS type stuff that they just don't do at AMS - multiple CC calls a week, obstacle courses, volleyball, parades, etc.

Guest rhildreth

Regardless, AMS grads recieve the same shiny gold bars as OTS grads. I'm just glad the guard can get it done in 6 weeks.

We also heard that AMS length is likely to increase once OTS increases its course length. The rumor floating around the ANG TEC was to expect an 8 week course at some point.

Guest GU96932

the last rumor I heard when I left AMS was that AMS was going to be moved out of McGhee and over to Maxwell, and combined w/OTS...go figure...

• 2 months later...
Guest BrewMaster

I am a 22 year-old senior in college, and i am majoring in aviation systems management. I plan on finishing my edumacation in dec. 07, and i am leaning towards the AF. My GPA is 2.7, I have a little over 60 PIC and about 120some total hours. I'll have my instrument rating by May and commercial by July. I have been working 2-3 jobs, one of which is working the line at our FBO, to get through college. I was wondering what kind of a wait there is between graduation, OTS, and then from OTS to UPT if selected. I don't mean to ask for everyone to rate my chances, but any insight or recommendations would help! Mostly I want to know what is the process between college, OTS, and UPT. (What will I do between OTS and UPT if not immediately selected?) If I sound like i don't know what i'm talking about....i probably don't. I'm hoping somebody else, besides me could also benefit from and quick rundown of the process from college and further on. also any input on my chances or even other peoples experience would definately be welcomed....

Your first step would beYour first step would be to find an officer accessions recruiter. That will get the process started. Be forewarned that everyone’s experience with a recruiter is different. Some recruiters take their job very serious and work themselves to death to get you selected; others are just filling a box and just earning a paycheck. That being said, find yourself a recruiter and get the paperwork started. The sooner the better. It has to be an officer accessions recruiter and not an enlisted recruiter. Most enlisted recruiters can put you in touch with one. After your package gets put together and if you get accepted then you can expect anywhere from six months to a little over a year before you begin OTS. I only waited about seven month before I left for OTS and I started UPT one month after graduating OTS. Everyone story will be different so keep that in mind. You could be on casual status waiting for a UPT class. Your GPA is a little low but not a show stopper. You can use your jobs as a benefit by showing your work ethic, leadership skills, blah blah blah, while going through college. Your hours will increase your score, but won’t be a deciding factor in your selection. You will have to take a test called the AFOQT. Go find a book by a company called ARCO and study before you take the test. This is just a quick run down so I hope it helps. If you have anymore questions just asks. There are tons of us on this site that went the same route. to find an officer

Guest BrewMaster

Thanks, that helps a lot. This site really helps alot, and that was about the only information i couldn't find. Also, how far or how much can a recruiter promise? Do you have to sign up before knowing whether or not you are selected to OTS, and how do you know or go about getting selected to UPT? when would i find that out? sorry, i don't mean to beat a dead horse, just want to be a little more educated before going and talking to a recruiter. so far, i've been really impressed with all the air force information i have found, i just got spooked away from recruiters a couple years ago when i accidentally gave my name to a marines recruiter...huge mistake! that moron would not stop calling. anyways, any info about this would help.

No prob. The recruiter cannot promise anything. They might be able to give you some insight on what the selection rate is but each board seems to look for something different. Most likely you won't get selected on your first try but it happens. Including myself I know of four others that got selected on our first try on the same board. Just don't get discouraged if you don't get selected on your first try. You won't sign up for anything until you are selected for OTS, then you will enlist as an E-5 right before you leave for OTS and receive your commission upon completion of OTS. You will apply for a pilot slot while you are applying for OTS and you will get selected for OTS as a pilot selectee. In other words you will show up to OTS knowing that you will follow on with UPT. Basically your package will go before a selection board and if selected your recruiter will give you a call saying congrats then you will sign a contract. You will also have to undergo a physical once selected. I'm not sure if it changed but most people seem to take it after selected, if you can, get it done before your selection board. Just one more feather in your cap and one less thing you have to do after being selected. Over all my selection experience was pretty painless, but I was in the guard at the time and I was able to do all the testing a physicals with my unit. That made things move a little smoother for me. If you get a hold of recruiter, get all the testing, physical, interviews, letters of recommendations, etc done, you could possible be selected before you graduate from college.

Guest BrewMaster

I really hate to be "that guy", which i realize i am about the 1 trillionth person to be asking this. this forum is packed full of information, most of which i probably haven't gotten to yet. anyways, i was reading about having an instrument license and commercial and whether or not it will matter. i do have a 2.7 gpa, but it is in aviation systems management, (which isn't necessarily a walk in the park) with a support services emphasis(lots of business and tech classes on top of aviation classes), and i am getting my own licences on the side to make myself a little more marketable. i figure, what the hell right? i work at our FBO pumping gas, and drive foster kids and youth all over the state for visits appointments, etc. which i feel requires a lot of trust and responsibility to have someone sign over a 2 year-old for me to drive two hours away to their parents house. what i'm getting at mostly is does my package seem strong? (jobs, school, volunteer hours, 120plus flight hours with a lot more on the way) Am i pissing in the dark or should i go for it? i need to get a hold of an officer accessions recruiter, but should i wait until i have my licences to move forward and take the tests, or start asap?

once again, thanks for any help you can give me....

The only thing that I could see you doing wrong is not applying. If you don’t' apply then you will never know. I got selected and I only had 50 hours and a PPL. My GPA was not great and I had a weak degree (at least in my eyes). I played up the fact that I worked full time to support a family and went to school full time at night. Getting your license doesn't hurt and neither does getting your instrument ticket. You said you read all the stuff on whether or not having an instrument/commercial ticket would matter or not so I won't get into that. The number of hours you have will affect your PCSM score (more hours raises your score to a point). I don't remember what the cut off is but there is a max amount of hours they will count. If it was me I would get a hold of the recruiter and go from there. They will schedule you to take the test and get the physical. They will also help you starting putting the package together and getting the necessary interviews. After you take the AFOQT and a computerized aptitude test, they will take your hours and calculate a score. If you get more hours after you get this score you can resubmit your hours and they will adjust it. Anyways, it sounds like you’re on the right path so just keep doing your homework and start getting your package together and apply. Good luck

Guest BrewMaster

I'm in no way looking to join for the money (believe me, my loans are too much for anyone to help, haha) but when you apply, do you still have to be in school to get the money, or will the AF help with loans even if you apply or get selected post-graduation? i'm looking at a dec. 07 graduation, and realize i need to start getting my package together, but i was just curious in the interest of saving time, effort, and helping my PCSM(flight hours with my instrument, etc.) wannafly helped, and said i can re-submit, but if I have the power, would you advise just waiting to raise it, or apply now and re-submit with a higher score after getting my IFR ticket if i don't get selected the first time? thanks for any help...

I'm in no way looking to join for the money (believe me, my loans are too much for anyone to help, haha) but when you apply, do you still have to be in school to get the money, or will the AF help with loans even if you apply or get selected post-graduation? i'm looking at a dec. 07 graduation, and realize i need to start getting my package together, but i was just curious in the interest of saving time, effort, and helping my PCSM(flight hours with my instrument, etc.) wannafly helped, and said i can re-submit, but if I have the power, would you advise just waiting to raise it, or apply now and re-submit with a higher score after getting my IFR ticket if i don't get selected the first time? thanks for any help...

As for the money, I'm pretty sure you'll get no help from the AF post-graduation. At least I'm not. I may be wrong.

As for your PCSM, don't worry about it. I had 43 hours and no PPL when I applied and I was picked up. Not to mention that I had taken the AFOQT when I was 18 and had absolutely zero experience with aviation. You'll do fine. Begin the application process when you're 6 months from graduating and you should be just fine. Getting selected via OTS is easier than people make it seem.