Info on OTS (Officer Training School)

Guest GGG308

Guest BrewMaster

That is what i was looking for. I was on a website and it just made is sound like OTS was at the bottom of the barrel and only 1 of 29,000,000 people make it. I realize it is just a past trend and how you apply yourself is 100% related to how succusful you become. I hate numbers and stats, although sometimes they are correct, they typically don't do much else than give you more crap to think about. I'll start getting organized and contact and accessions recruiter and give it a shot around june-ish.

Ill Destructor pretty much hit it on the head. For some people OTS can be very difficult, but like Ill Destructor, I found it very easy. OTS is bottom of the barrel in a sense. They use OTS to fill the number of commissioned officers that the Academy and ROTC doesn't fill so the number of OTS selectees always changes. Anyways, you will find that when you get your PCSM score that your hours won't have a massive change in your score. Also the score is also based on hours and not your ticket. The hours would count the same if you had 250 hours and your instrument just as they would if you had 250 hours and just your PPL.

Guest BrewMaster

i see. that's what i've been reading. i've been trying to read up before asking a question that i can find. i don't exactly remember the site but it just seemed like OTS was like applying for a $50k/yr. job and it might not pay off. but i'm not going to let that get me down, escpecially if i hear personally that it is much easier than they make it seem. is it possible that i could get a quick rundown of your guys history? (school, major, ots, upt, track, aircraft, etc.)

I wouldn't look at applying to OTS that way. If you apply and don't get accepted your not out anything but time, if you don't apply then you will never know. Can it not work out? Sure, you could feasibly get washed out of OTS, (the only people I saw this happen to either voluntarily left, or they just did really stupid stuff to get themselves into trouble), or you could wash out of UPT, it happens, but the only thing your out still is your time. The AF still paid you while you were in the program. My experience was that they talked it up just to see who was serious. I'm not saying that you're going to get excepted just becuase you applied, I've met several people who had a tough time getting into OTS, but at the same time, I've met many people, (myself included) who applied and got excepted no problem. As for my history, I did some time in the Air National Guard while going to school. Majored in Aviation Management, applied to OTS when I was 28, followed OTS with UPT at Whiting NAS and Vance. I tracked T-1's as my first choice followed by C-17's to Charleston. Good on you for doing as much research as you can, it will only make the process easier as you go :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

I've had trouble finding a source that provides OTS/UPT selection board dates, can anyone help me out. I'm concerned b/c I turned 26 in Nov and am just starting the application process, and want to know if I have enough time to pull this off.

I've had trouble finding a source that provides OTS/UPT selection board dates, can anyone help me out. I'm concerned b/c I turned 26 in Nov and am just starting the application process, and want to know if I have enough time to pull this off.

Plenty of time. You have to start UPT by your 30th birthday. I don't have dates for board meetings, but there will be plenty between now and your drop dead date. You're fine.

It seems like everyone I talk to has a different answer about the cut off age. A lot tell me 30, but I've also been told that it has been changed to where you have to be out of OTS by age 27 1/2. Am I confusing this with AD and RESERVE limitations? Is there a difference in age cut offs between ANG, AD, and reserves? Or am I making this way more complicated than it truly is? (probably the later)

Edited by kapilot

It seems like everyone I talk to has a different answer about the cut off age. A lot tell me 30, but I've also been told that it has been changed to where you have to be out of OTS by age 27 1/2. Am I confusing this with AD and RESERVE limitations? Is there a difference in age cut offs between ANG, AD, and reserves? Or am I making this way more complicated than it truly is? (probably the later)

Your recruiter can tell you, if he's any good. Recruiters are usually good for information like that, but don't rely on your recruiter to get all the work done in time for the board dates (unless you have a really good one). All you can do is get the stuff done as fast as YOU can. Letters of reccomendation, transcripts, scheduling an interview with a senior officer...get on that stuff as soon as you can. Pester your recruiter about AFOQT and flight physical scheduling.

Checkout www.airforceots.com, they're full of helpful information specific to applying for OTS.

The "official" age is "Starting UPT before you turn 30". That's for AD, Guard, Reserve, everyone (there MIGHT be some exceptions for previous Navs getting forced out of their airframes, but I'm not sure). If you're not going to make it, you have to get a waiver, which are close to impossible.

With that being said, ROTC has a rule that says "You cannot compete for a pilot slot unless your commissioning date is before your 29th birthday". This gives them at least a year to get you into UPT. If ROTC has a rule like this, I'm sure OTS does too. Have your recruiter show you the reg.

• 2 weeks later...

www.airforceots.com

They would be able to tell you everything from when the boards meet to when thay are "supposed" to let you know if you made it or not, they would also be able to tell you all about ages and waivers regarding pilot slots. That board will also give you a chance to meet with other people who are on teh same board that you are, and when you make it, it will introduce you to your class mates, as well as your upper and lower class mates.

Guest c-5giant

i recently spoke with a retired AF officer who was commissioned through OTS and he stated that if accepted to OTS, applicants are shown what jobs are available for them before even leaving for OTS. is this true? he also stated that if you do not like any of the jobs offered and have not started OTS then you can walk away. is this true also?

:bohica: <<<<< just thought id put that up for kicks :rock:

i recently spoke with a retired AF officer who was commissioned through OTS and he stated that if accepted to OTS, applicants are shown what jobs are available for them before even leaving for OTS. is this true? he also stated that if you do not like any of the jobs offered and have not started OTS then you can walk away. is this true also?

:bohica: <<<<< just thought id put that up for kicks :rock:

100% correct. You'll know exactly what job you're slated for before you leave. There will be some questions (for example, ENJPPT or UPT? JSUNT or UNT?), but you'll know what AFSC you're going to have before you even have a class date for OTS.

And you are free to walk from OTS up to commissioning. But yes, if you don't like your choices, you aren't committed to attend OTS.

Edited by pawnman

Guest c-5giant

thanks. so if you wanted UPT how would they know if you are medically qualified without going to OTS? i was former AFROTC and took my DODMERBs so would they be able to determine from that whether im medically UPT worthy?

thanks. so if you wanted UPT how would they know if you are medically qualified without going to OTS? i was former AFROTC and took my DODMERBs so would they be able to determine from that whether im medically UPT worthy?

They'll send you to the nearest flight doc for an all-day physical. Hopefully that will be a reasonable distance from your house.

I want to say that this step is done before your application is even sent to the board. They won't select anyone they know is medically DQ'd.

Tyr www.airforceots.com for some better answers, those guys answer these questions and research these answers all day long.

Edited by pawnman

The flight physical is usually done between selection and getting an OTS class date. You will not be able to get a class date or report to OTS without a certified physical. The only unknowns are the last few tests at Brooks -- this'll happen between OTS and UPT report. Search for MFS or Brooks, but it's not usually something to worry about.

VFR is correct. I was in the guard before I went to OTS so I had my physical done before my package went to the board. I'm not sure if that helped my selection or not but it did cut down on my wait time between selection and OTS. If I remember correctly the only physical you have to have before the board is the pre commission physical. Your recruiter will set that up at the nearest MEPS station.

Guest c-5giant

so when do you guys think it would be a good idea to talk to a recruiter and start getting my application ready? i am starting my junior year in college and i plan on getting my private pilots license this coming summer. should i wait and talk to a recruiter after i get my license or should i talk to some other time? also does anyone know how many boards your application goes through before it gets thrown out (if it gets thrown out)?

so when do you guys think it would be a good idea to talk to a recruiter and start getting my application ready? i am starting my junior year in college and i plan on getting my private pilots license this coming summer. should i wait and talk to a recruiter after i get my license or should i talk to some other time? also does anyone know how many boards your application goes through before it gets thrown out (if it gets thrown out)?

If you're really interested, I'd start TALKING to a recruiter around the start of your senior year. With any luck, you'll be able to put the application together at have it in front of the first board right after graduation.

I want to say you get three shots, but I could be wrong. I direct you again to www.airforceots.com, those guys will know not only how many boards, but what the dates are.

Three shots sounds right. I started talking to a recruiter in sept and graduated in dec. I got picked up on the Jan board. My package was pretty much already done since I had applied to a couple of guard units prior to active duty so beginning of your senior year is a good start.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another question that I've been seeking confirmation for. Im 26 and 2 months old. I realize that the new rule for pilot selects is that you must have your package in by your 28th birthday. My question is if I take the AFOQT right now would I still have time for a retake with the way the boards fall in 08 and 09. In other words do I only have one chance at the test or can I take it get all of my other stuff done on my package, and if I don't like the AFOQT scores can I retake for another board? I realize that I wouldnt be able to retake for the upcoming board. I think the anwser is yes I would be able to but sometimes there are hickups in these type of things. Would appreciate any experienced insight, other anwsered questions have been extremely helpful you guys are great

Here's another question that I've been seeking confirmation for. Im 26 and 2 months old. I realize that the new rule for pilot selects is that you must have your package in by your 28th birthday. My question is if I take the AFOQT right now would I still have time for a retake with the way the boards fall in 08 and 09. In other words do I only have one chance at the test or can I take it get all of my other stuff done on my package, and if I don't like the AFOQT scores can I retake for another board? I realize that I wouldnt be able to retake for the upcoming board. I think the anwser is yes I would be able to but sometimes there are hickups in these type of things. Would appreciate any experienced insight, other anwsered questions have been extremely helpful you guys are great

AFOQT retake wait time is 6 months. So you have time.

Edited by Fuse

• 2 months later...
Guest WickedKiller

I hear they are only picking up 10 for pilot the next rated board in May. Any one hear this also?