Missing soldiers

Login Name

Guest sleepy

It's been slow around here this morning. Perhaps this will piss off a few people.

Group claims missing soldiers were kidnapped

AP -

BAGHDAD, Iraq - An umbrella group that includes al-Qaida in Iraq claimed in a Web statement Monday that it had kidnapped two U.S. soldiers reported missing south of Baghdad. There was no immediate confirmation that the statement was credible, although it appeared on a Web site often used by al-Qaida-linked groups. U.S. officials have said they were trying to confirm whether the missing soldiers were kidnapped. "Your brothers in the military wing of the Mujahedeen Shura Council kidnapped the two American soldiers near Youssifiya," the group said in a statement posted on an Islamic Web site.

More of the story here.

Aside from when these kidnapping bastardly insurgents are going to kilt, as they say, what I want to know is who is this "umbrella group" that ramrodded the whole thing?

P.S. Thanks M2. Me is stoopid.

Guest Hoser

UPDATE! From CNN.com. CNN isn't confirming, but I just saw the same report on ABC and they said the bodies were found tortured and beheaded.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A high-ranking official with the Iraqi defense ministry told CNN on Tuesday that the bodies of two missing U.S. soldiers have been found south of Baghdad.

No more details were immediately available. The U.S. military said it could not confirm the report.

A senior U.S. official told CNN that two bodies had been found in Iraq but could not confirm that those bodies were the two soldiers.

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, 23, of Houston, Texas, and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker, 25, of Madras, Ore., went missing Friday at a traffic checkpoint near the town of Yusufiya, 12 miles (20 km) south of Baghdad.

Iraqi officials said the bodies were found in the town of Jurf al-Sakhar, 50 miles (80 km) south of Baghdad.

The U.S. military said Spc. David J. Babineau, 25, of Springfield, Mass., was killed in the same attack Friday.

A force of more than 8,000 Iraqi and U.S. troops has been searching for the two soldiers.

In Houston, a member of Menchaca's family said they had not been notified.

Rest in Peace.

Hoser

[ 20. June 2006, 07:06: Message edited by: Hoser ]

U.S. military confirms two missing soldiers dead

Reuters - 8 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - Two U.S. soldiers missing since Friday near Baghdad were found dead late on Monday, a U.S. military spokesman confirmed on Tuesday. "The bodies were found last night in the vicinity of Yusufiya. Coalition forces have recovered what we believe are the remains of the soldiers," Major General William Caldwell told a news conference.

He declined to comment on a statement by a senior Iraqi general that the two privates were tortured before they died. But they had been killed, Caldwell said.

The corpses, which were recovered from the restive area south of the capital on Tuesday, would be taken to the United States for DNA testing to confirm their identities and establish how the men died.

Asked to confirm that the two had been taken prisoner before dying, he said the men had not reached the place where their bodies were found by their own efforts. They were found close to an electricity plant, Caldwell said.

The two were among three soldiers in a vehicle involved in a fight on Friday, he said. The third was killed at the scene.

RIP. M2

[ 20. June 2006, 09:01: Message edited by: M2 ]

PH2006062000270.jpg

Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker, left, 25, of Madras, Ore., and Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, 23, of Houston were apparently kidnapped following an attack by Iraqi insurgents outside the town of Yusufiyah, south of Baghdad.

Godspeed. M2

Guest PilotKD

From MSN:

“The news is going to be heartbreaking for my family,” Ken MacKenzie, Menchaca’s uncle, told NBC’s “Today” show. He said the United States should have paid a ransom from money seized from Saddam Hussein.

“I think the U.S. was too slow to react to this. Because the U.S. did not have a plan in place, my nephew has paid with his life.”

:rolleyes:

Why can't people accept that this is the kind of war we're in and it is impossible to have "a plan" for everything? A ransom? These people don't care about money. It is unfortunate, but things like this are going to continue to happen as long as we have our boys (and girls) in Iraq.

RIP

Originally posted by PilotKD:

It is unfortunate, but things like this are going to continue to happen as long as we have our boys (and girls) in Iraq.

RIP

It is terrible, but true. I saw this coming after thier capture. I too hope it was quick.

RIP Brothers!

Originally posted by trailmix:

And long after... remember these animals will do this to all non-muslims in the name of Allah, regardless of who is where.

What a shame so few understand this fact. And it is far worse than the public understands - this creeping, crawling disease...

F

Guest twinkle toes

I don't want to be harsh, but in a distasteful broadcasting of good morning america, they stated the bodies where found decapetated and brutaly tortured. I say we step up the fight a little bit! The military actually asked the wifes if the want to see the remains.

Guest rangerbob5

This kind of brutality is not new and is not going away.

The Afgans used to amputate the limbs of Soviet soldiers, cut their tonuges out, and gouge out thier eyes, then throw them in the street still living for the villagers to spit on and stone.

This world is a brutal dark place that will take brute force and conquest to cure. We don't have the stomach to do what needs to be done.

Originally posted by twinkle toes:

I say we step up the fight a little bit!

I'm with you! I say we strip them down, then make them form a "human pyramid" while we take pictures. After that, we'll intimidate them with a barking dog on a leash. Sound good?

I certainly hope our troops are "kicking it up a notch" in response to this. My neighbor's son just got back from a year over there and from his viewpoint it was pretty much a turkey shoot, as the dumb f_ckers actually want to die [for allah and those 72 virgins...which I hope are all 80 year old former nuns, BTW]. Too bad there's a never-ending supply of as$holes over there.

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by twinkle toes:

I don't want to be harsh, but in a distasteful broadcasting of good morning america, they stated the bodies where found decapetated and brutaly tortured. I say we step up the fight a little bit! The military actually asked the wifes if the want to see the remains.

Well supposedly one of the families found out from a news broadcast that they had found the bodies before the military actually notified them. That's not good. Another fine example of how the media is ruining the moral and reputation of this country. All they care about is a headlines story. They want to report something worthwhile? I say we should give'm a helmet cam, put a gun in their hand, send their asses over to Bagdad to get their headlines live from the source.

[ 20. June 2006, 22:33: Message edited by: PilotKD ]

Originally posted by PilotKD:

Another fine example of how the media is ruining the moral and reputation of this country. All they care about is a headlines story.

In line with that did anyone else see the link in the original story to "Watch the painful memories for mother of missing soldier"? "Here's a link to more drama and the pain of a dead soldier's mother. Have at it."

What the hell is that?

Originally posted by rangerbob5:

This world is a brutal dark place that will take brute force and conquest to cure. We don't have the stomach to do what needs to be done.

No Kidding. Its sad

[ 23. June 2006, 09:27: Message edited by: GuardDude ]