Skydiving

FallingOsh

Guest KoolKat

There seems to be (at least at Corpus) a large ORM kick...

A decent list of things are not allowed, skydiving included, and you must also fill out an ORM worksheet if you want to take a dump.

the ORM kick must be a NETC thing because its crazy at pcola and whiting lately too.. same list, obviously. whitewater kayaking wasn't on the do-not-do list.. but it was a navy list. i doubt the air force is less strict than the navy, though. in the navy, safety isn't paramount at all.

Guest marbalizer99

What's the deal with skydiving while in ROTC? I started skydiving last year an am a couple jumps from getting my license.

I had no idea about the restrictions, where can I see a list of them?

Guest KoolKat

ROTC doesn't equal UPT.

You'll be allowed to do plenty of stupid things while your in ROTC...Force Shaping at it's purest.

Enjoy.

[ 07. September 2005, 20:16: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest ptwob179

Yeah, as I understood it, at least 3 years ago at columbus it was a don't ask, don't tell, but I was young and stupid then- I don't recommend risking anything over a few jumps- ask first. I am sure you will have plenty of time to jump after UPT.

-Blue Skies

Is skydiving worth a potentially disqualifying injury while in UPT? It would really suck to finally get to UPT, break an ankle jumping on the weekend, and wash back/out because of it. The leadership at your UPT base will probably hassle you about this as well (beyond just filling out the forms) - much like the motorcycle rider witch hunts.

Keep your priorities straight. UPT is a year. You can jump out of airplanes after that.

Guest RJacobs

^^^^^^^

Not that I know from first hand knowledge at all, but it is the end of the fiscal year isnt it. They gotta find something to do with all that time not flying right.

Originally posted by HerkDriver24:

I'd like to know what the hell is going on in UPT where guys have time to sky dive, iron flight suits, and watch Iron Eagle repeatedly.

HD

The way I was able to free up a TON of time at UPT was to track into the T-1 program after Tweets.

Besides, skydiving doesn't really take as much time as it may appear in the movies. I jumped twice (before UPT) and each one was over in like 5 minutes. Plenty of time at UPT for that.

• Upvote 1

Yeah a jump usually takes less than ten minutes counting the plane ride up. But it takes about an hour to repack your chute, manifest the next jump, wait for your plane... blah blah. On top of all that, most people drive an hour or more to the nearest DZ. I can understand how there wouldn't be time for it during UPT.

Bergman makes a good point about not wanting to break an ankle during UPT, but getting hurt after UPT or anytime in your carreer isn't any different. You wouldn't be dropped out of the Air Force, but you would still be forced to sit on your ass for several weeks not flying. I guess the real question is how important is skydiving to me and are the good times worth the possibility of injury. I can't imagine not being in the sport. It's the only thing that gets me through the week most times. We'll see what happens.

Blue Skies is just something jumpers say. Like in theater people say Break A Leg, but saying that in skydiving just doesn't fit.

[ 08. September 2005, 03:34: Message edited by: FallingOsh ]

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by HerkDriver24:

I'd like to know what the hell is going on in UPT where guys have time to sky dive, iron flight suits, and watch Iron Eagle repeatedly.

HD

Shack.

Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

Shack.

I dunno, this part cleared that question up for me:

The way I was able to free up a TON of time at UPT was to track into the T-1 program after Tweets.
Reference also the thread from a few weeks ago discussing current UPT washout rates, which are reportedly in the 1-3% range in FY05.

Originally posted by FallingOsh:

Bergman makes a good point about not wanting to break an ankle during UPT, but getting hurt after UPT or anytime in your carreer isn't any different. You wouldn't be dropped out of the Air Force, but you would still be forced to sit on your ass for several weeks not flying.

With all the force shaping going on right now, do you really want to put money on that? Get your priorities straight, man...hit the books now, jump after you graduate.

Side note: Being a T-1 guy doesn't give you license to be a slack ass.

[ 08. September 2005, 08:36: Message edited by: TacAirCoug ]

I'm not a T-1 track, nor am I in UPT, nor did I say I was going to jump during UPT. My question was is it allowed.

And don't you worry about my priorities, Mom. Skydiving is a hobby, not my career.

[ 08. September 2005, 09:55: Message edited by: FallingOsh ]

I'm not a T-1 track

The T-1 comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just a statement...

And don't you worry about my priorities, Mom. Skydiving is a hobby, not my career.

That's fine, I'm just pointing out that there are potentially serious consequences to think about, and finding another hobby for a year doesn't mean the end of the world. There are other, more important things to worry about. You do whatever you want...you know where I stand.

Mom

Wow, another Newbie that asks a question, gets honest responses, then gets an attitude.... Go figure.