Forward Air Controllers

Guest twood

Guest twood

I was reading an AFA magazine a couple months back and I saw a picture of a B-52 pilot attached to an Army unit acting as a forward air contoller. Is this a volunteer only assignment? What are other requirements?

Guest SnakeT38

Most of the time on AD a fighter guy is either

assigned to an Army unit or will do the job

IN ADDITION to flying on a TDY type basis. At least it was like this in my day. Rainman and Bozz are more up to speed on the "ALO" job.

I did the job while "attached" to the LAANG

159th FW 122nd ASOS, in AEX La. (Mamou Facs) Did

not like it at all...........for various reasons.

There is another "FAC", an airborne version, which I was while flying the A-10..........I personally loved this job........"older guys" that had to do it in the O-2, OV-10 weren't so happy because that meant they were "pulled" out of a "fighter". In the A-10 I always approached the FAC job as another "attacker" if the Flt Lead I was working wanted to do it that way. One of the best books EVER written about FAC's is the RAVENS's, Vietnam era, "any pilot will like this book, I don't care who you are!"

Guest HueyPilot

Alexandria...what a dump! My soon-to-be ex wife is from nearby. I was in the LAARNG for almost 8 years, and yes there were some very sh!tty units in the LA Guard.

I'm an ALO.

You can volunteer for the assignment if you want, but most fighter guys get stuck with it.

ALO's aren't really forward air controllers. They are liaison officers. They may be qualified Terminal Air Controllers, but their primary job is planning and coordinating close air support and being a liaison between the Army and the Air Force.

Joint Terminal Attack Controllers (JTACS) are primarily responsible for attack controller. JTACS are enlisted. Also known as TACPs (tack-pees).

Only Battalion ALO's get to keep flying. They are usually LT's who are attached to an Army unit. They do the BALO thing on a TDY basis. But most of the Battalian ALO positions are now being filled by senior enlisted JTACs.

Other requirements to be an ALO:

Aeronautical rating in Fighters or Bombers

A Pulse

Enemies in high places (just kidding)

Guest T-Bird

"Aeronautical rating in Fighters or Bombers"

-13B's have ALO billets. I think there are 13 slots with 50% filled, both numbers expected to increase in the future.

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by Clearedhot:

One of the old Ravens (Growth Wilson) was still flying A-10's in Nawlins last I heard.

Growth has "left" the building........what a piece of work.

Beav,

I have seen ANG ALO advertisements (like the NY ANG and the NC ANG ASOS ads on baseops.net) that will consider any rated type person. I completely understand how being a fighter or bomber guy, especially with air to mud experience would be beneficial, but are the requirements different from AD to the ANG/reserves?

Just curious.

Huey how do you like flying the Hercs?Is the TDY rate killing you coming from the C-21?And can heavy guys become ALO's?Beaver did you get jump qualified and what are TDY rates?Is it hard to get picked up in the reserves?

[ 19. April 2005, 21:47: Message edited by: scoobs ]

As usual, the Guard is on their own program. I think they will take any rated guy. Actually, I think one of the units has a 2LT ALO that isn't rated. He's just a full time ALO. Which is probably just as good as having a flyer.

Guest Rainman A-10

Growth got screwed by a bunch of pencil neck dorks who were scared shitless of him but had the power to force him out. Long story, sh!tty ending.

He is in Arizona now.