T-38 at XL

Guest MATTUSAF

There was no shouting match, but the same things has already started here, which caused the last thread to be deleted.

Matt, no where in the article that you linked does it even mention anything about dual engine failure. So you are either speuclating, which you should annontate in your post that it is just your uninformed guess, or people involved with the mishap / SIB are talking, in which case they are wrong for speaking, and you are wrong for passing it along.

Hoser

[ 14. December 2005, 14:28: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Guest SuperStallionIP

Yep. Definitely a dual engine flameout from that article. No doubt about it. No doubt at all. Probably those d@mn ball bearings again.

Guest SpyGadget

Good Ole Hell-Rio News Herald Sheds Light on Crash

Disclaimer: Distribution of this article in no way implies that I am speculating that there was a single or dual engine flameout.

Eyewitness to crash gives own account

By Jennifer Killin

Del Rio News-Herald

Published December 14, 2005

BRACKETTVILLE – A Laughlin Air Force Base instructor pilot was severely injured when his T-38 “Talon” crashed during a low-level training flight about five miles east of here Tuesday afternoon.

A student pilot who was also on board the jet when it went down was not injured. Both the instructor and the student successfully ejected from the T-38 after it struck a bird, according to LAFB Community Affairs and Media Chief Kathy White.

The jet crashed on the Toft Ranch, locate approximately five miles east of here and about a half-mile south of U.S. Highway 90.

An eyewitness to the crash, John Paul Schuster, said that he saw the event unfold while he was working at some livestock pens on his property north of where the T-38 crashed.

Schuster said he saw the jet “flying really low.”

He also said he heard the jet “making sounds I knew were not good.”

He said he then saw the jet’s canopy fly off and the pilots eject just seconds before the plane crashed.

“It was just like what you see in the movies,” said Schuster when describing the ejection and crash.

Schuster said that there was a loud explosion as the plane hit the ground, and a mushroom cloud formed immediately after.

Schuster called emergency personnel to report the crash and rushed to the scene to see if he could help.

At a rest area on Highway 90, across from one of the ranch gates used by emergency responders to access the crash site, Kinney County Constable Bobby Guidry said the wreckage of the jet was located nearly in the bed of Elm Creek and accessible only by driving on several miles of narrow dirt roads on the ranch.

According to Schuster, one of the jet’s two occupants, later identified by White as 2nd Lt. Jonathan Ballard, was up and walking around when he got to the scene.

“He was walking around and using his cell phone,” said Schuster when describing the pilot’s condition.

Schuster said he believed the other occupant, later identified as Maj. Marc A. Montogmery, an instructor pilot at Laughlin Air Force Base, had parachuted into the plane’s “fireball” and appeared to be severely burned.

“He couldn’t open his eyes and was complaining that his back was hurting really bad. Then he asked us not to call his wife,” said Schuster.

Communications between emergency personnel and first responder units indicated that Montgomery was 44-years-old, and had sustained serious burns to his eyes, face and upper torso area and had sustained injuries to his back.

Montgomery was transported from the crash scene by ambulance to the town of Cline, located approximately 15 miles from the crash site near a railroad crossing on U.S. Highway 90, where he was then transported to Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio.

Link to article

Apparently "please don't call my wife" means "it's cool to describe this to the news". Nice of the guy to try and help, but WTF? It lookded like he "had parachuted into the plane’s “fireball” and appeared to be severely burned". GEEZE Thanksfully both guys survived, hope the IP recovers.

Originally posted by SpyGadget:

Schuster said he saw the jet “flying really low.”

He also said he heard the jet “making sounds I knew were not good.”

“It was just like what you see in the movies,” said Schuster when describing the ejection and crash.

Schuster said he believed the other occupant, later identified as Maj. Marc A. Montogmery, an instructor pilot at Laughlin Air Force Base, had parachuted into the plane’s “fireball” and appeared to be severely burned.

Communications between emergency personnel and first responder units indicated that Montgomery was 44-years-old, and had sustained serious burns to his eyes, face and upper torso area and had sustained injuries to his back.

Flying low compared to what? Birds? The Space Shuttle?

How does farmer Bob know the difference between good and bad jet noise.

Comparing the ejection to the movies (TopGun?) Well thank God for that comparison.

So he BELIEVES that the IP fell into the fireball. But he didn't actually SEE what happened. So instead of telling us what you believe happened, we would all be better off if you just STFU!

He couldn't possibly have gotten burned from an un-sequenced ejection. Must of been the fire ball, in my opinion.

The news interviews these clowns for a story, not necessarily the correct story.

Hoser

Is anybody on here stationed at Laughlin and know the IP?

I think he was a squadron mate of mine from '89-'91 at RAF Woodbridge flying A-10s. If it's the guy I knew, after Woodbridge, he went to T-38s, then I heard he flew F-15Cs, went to airlines, got furloughed, and ended up back in AETC.

Can anybody confirm this is the same guy? The age is about right.