One wing is enough

trailmix

==From Wikipedia==

One wing is enough?

On May 1, 1983 during an Israeli Air Force training dogfight, an F-15D collided with an A-4 Skyhawk. The right wing of the Eagle was torn off roughly two feet (0.6 m) from the body. The pilot, Zivi Nadavi, disobeyed his instructor's command to eject and managed to land the crippled aircraft successfully. The aircraft was able to land because of the large horizontal surface area of the tail and the amount of lift generated by the engine intake and body

=========================

Thats amazing. Could you imagine being that stud, hearing your IP telling you to eject and saying "Nah, i got it... sir"

Guest sleepy

Geebuz! I am interested in this, too.

I can kind of buy the stabilitry from the tail. How much would asymetric thrust help or hurt?

I'm no engineer. Anyone who is care to elaborate, speculate, or prevaricate?

Still givin' a healthy DAMN!!!

Not all of those pics are real, the ones on the left side are manipulated video shots that the History Channel had made for a documentary on the incident.

This happened 23 years ago...you guys are just now hearing about it?

Cheers! M2

Originally posted by M2:

the History Channel had made for a documentary on the incident.

That was actually for the show "Heavy Metal" on the F-15 -- it was not just about that incident, but the history of the Eagle.

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by sleepy:

Geebuz! I am interested in this, too.

I can kind of buy the stabilitry from the tail. How much would asymetric thrust help or hurt?

I'm no engineer. Anyone who is care to elaborate, speculate, or prevaricate?

Still givin' a healthy DAMN!!!

I'm not an engineer, but as an Eagle pilot, I'll tell you that during our academics, the instructors tells us that we should do whatever we can to get / keep the electronic system known as the Control Augmentation System (CAS) online. Even while missing a wing, the jet has enough smarts to command the right mix of aileron, stab and rudder to keep the jet flying.

Hoser

Guest KoolKat

Wow, Hoser...our conversation about flaps was pretty interesting, but I always figured that jet simply relied on thrust to keep it flying.

I didn't know the 15 had "CAS."

BENDY

EDIT: Do you have auto throtles too? :D i wonder what would happen if I lost a wing...oh wait, no I don't!

[ 23. May 2006, 19:06: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by Bender:

Wow, Hoser...our conversation about flaps was pretty interesting, but I always figured that jet simply relied on thrust to keep it flying.

I didn't know the 15 had "CAS."

BENDY

EDIT: Do you have auto throtles too? :D i wonder what would happen if I lost a wing...oh wait, no I don't!

Aahhh, the Eagle Flap discussion, I remember now. Yes the Eagle has flaps....no it does not need them.

You put enough thrust on anything it will fly.....look at the F-4.

CAS. We actually have 3 of them, one for Yaw, Pitch and Roll respectively.

Auto-Throttls: No.

Hoser

• 3 months later...