Treetop RV-4

Guest nunya

Guest KoolKat

Yeah, that's like one McDonald's French Fry.

Some of the pictures CH posts on here are bigger than that!!!!

BENDY

EDIT: I guess it's a mystery...

[ 01. May 2006, 21:52: Message edited by: Bender ]

Guest nunya

Ok ok. So maybe it's not that big. Just watch the video. :D

[ 01. May 2006, 21:55: Message edited by: nunya ]

Guest KoolKat

Is there any background on who this guy having all the fun is?

His "Head fold" looks just just a Herk IP I know...

BENDY

Guest sleepy

I've never done that in an RV-4, but I've done other things in it. If the speed of the tape was true, I think he had the throttle back.

Half way through, I yawned. Damn I'm lucky to have done some of the cool stuff I've done in general aviation. There is fun to be had on the civy/GA side. I've flown a river from the right seat of one of these:

sm8_2oc_tn.jpg

Bergman--Why an 8? More room? Not only are they heavier, but also more expensive to build & operate.

For personal fun, I'd rather have a 3. Haven't flown that one, but I'm told they're the sweetest. Otherwise, a 6. Only bad thing about those airplanes is they're like bellybuttons...everybody has one. Diminishes the glamor.

Originally posted by sleepy:

Bergman--Why an 8? More room? Not only are they heavier, but also more expensive to build & operate.

For personal fun, I'd rather have a 3. Haven't flown that one, but I'm told they're the sweetest. Otherwise, a 6. Only bad thing about those airplanes is they're like bellybuttons...everybody has one. Diminishes the glamor.

They have basically the same performance, but the RV-8 can carry more than double the baggage and has about 200 miles more range IIRC. Either way, still a pipe dream...don't have $50k laying around nor the time to build one. Yet. I've seen quite a few -6s, but just like the tandem seating better. Haven't flown either yet, but my understanding is that they all fly similarly...that is, pretty f-ing well!

I've got the preview plans for an RV-8 if anyone wants them for a small fee and shipping. I was sold on the RV until I started looking into Rutan designs. I am now in love with a Long EZ.

Guest nunya

The later models are quite a leap in engineering, too. Well maybe that's the wrong word. The -7, -8, -9, and -10 are all pre-punched from the factory, many of the parts come prefabricated (like the -7 wing spars), etc.

The -7 is basically the -6 with the capacity for 20 more HP, 200lb higher GW (albeit about 100lbs heavier empty), 4 more gallons of fuel, 40 lbs more allowed in the baggage area... You get the idea.

Hm... I wonder if Van's can build wing boxes?

[ 01. May 2006, 23:39: Message edited by: nunya ]

Originally posted by Bender:

Is there any background on who this guy having all the fun is?

His "Head fold" looks just just a Herk IP I know...

BENDY

I know exactly who you're talking about...and I guarrantee he's done stuff like that...in a herk...

Guest twinkle toes

Personally, in a civilian aircraft, I think this was some irresponsible flying. He maybe has the skills and it is cool and all, but the Far/Aim states you need to fly with and altitude safe enough to have a place to land in an emergency if possible. I don't think the rv would do to good on the beach. With that said, it was a cool video!

p.s. I am minoring in aviation safety at Embry-Riddle. :rolleyes:

Guest sleepy

twinkle toes-

Glad you have a sense of humor, because that was dumb. I'd rather land in the river than in those hardwoods.

Guest twinkle toes

I would rather land in a clearing that I picked out from 2000 ft agl. That is what I was trying to say. Water landings aren't always the best. That river would probably be fine, but in most cases light aircraft tumble when hitting the water leaving pilots disorientated and many drown (If they survive the impact.) Now as for that guy, he was probably carying enough speed to climb out and re-evaluate the situation. In any case, it comes down to the situation you are in, and your own personal desicions.

Guest Aflyer
Originally posted by sleepy:

twinkle toes-

Glad you have a sense of humor, because that was dumb. I'd rather land in the river than in those hardwoods.

"2" At least the river is flat, plus if you had enough airspeed you could pop up and see if there are any better options.

Guest sleepy

I hope I'm not starting a pissing match here.

When you're that low, an engine going TU does not afford you the time to pull up and assess the situation.

Know the area, clear it, and have a blast (by yourself, of course...passengers are generally bad ideas for this). Accept the fact that in an emergency, you will only have time to put her down on whatever is in front of you.

Guest Aflyer

I just said "if you had enough airspeed". You're going to have to bleed that off before you can put the airplane down anyway, so why not bleed it off to best glide by gaining some altitude (every little bit helps)? I'm not saying you're going to get 1000 feet out of an RV, but even a couple hundred would be better ...

Originally posted by Vetter:

I started looking into Rutan designs. I am now in love with a Long EZ.

I'm with you on that as well. The Cozy Mark IV is my leading choice in that arena. I like the idea of having 4 (3 with bags) people, engine behind you, and a very safe design. Of course, no sport aerobatics in that one. So, when the time comes, my decision will most likely be either RV or Cozy. Gotta have a dream!

Originally posted by Rainmain A-10:I need to buy a plane. Soon.
Well get after it! That fat retirement check has "Pitts" written all over it. :D

Guest sleepy

Vetter and Bergman-

Why would you want to fly an airplane that is made of the material you normally use to keep your beer cold?

Guest Stearmann4

Berg,

Am I crazy, or is there in inordinate amount of stick and rudder advise being passed on here from hands that have never held a military stick yet?