Additional UPT gear

Guest F152 Pilot

Guest F152 Pilot

Today I had someone in my squadron walk up to me and ask me if I wanted any additional equipment before I go to UPT. He said my squadron was willing to hook me up with things like extra flight suits and gloves. Is there anything I should request that some of you guys wish you would have had before going to UPT?

Guest lovelacm

A nice pubs bag is always a plus... Got a spare flight computer hangin' around (whiz wheel)? Mine crapped out on me (defective) during Tweets and I had to beg one off the supply squadron.

That should get you squared away at least through Primary...

Best of luck.

Cheers!

Linda

Guest ruckerstud

"2" on everything so far, just watch out on the boots, we had folks in our class get by with other all leather boots (i.e. the ones they got issued for field training) for like 3 months, and then someone said something to them and they had to switch. Oh, and if you can get winter weight flight gloves instead of the issued leather and wool deal, get those too.

If your squadron has a mic light for your flight helmet that would be pretty helpful. A buddy of mine hooked me up with one halfway through and I don't know how I ever went without it (on night flights of course). Another nice thing to have is one of those simple straps that holds an approach plate, some kneeboards work fine but a lot of people prefer the strap.

Guest lovelacm

OK, BeerMan... Chill out a bit, brother... relax... that's it... Let me put a nipple on the bottle.. OK...

The boots issued at UPT = CRAP. Get some Bellevilles as mentioned earlier in the thread... they're more comfortable (though a little heavier), but will take care of your "dogs" much better than those cheap full-leathers will.

Kneeboard? Yeah, talk with your UPT class and get an order together DURING ACADEMICS for Royal Bag... Chip in and buy Kneeboards, Pubs Bags, and Bag Tags (Those nice streamer-things that are embroidered with your name)...

Otherwise, the issued mess should get you through.

BeerMan, pass me a , will ya? I'm gettin' dehydrated over here.

Linda

Flak vest, kevlar helmet, camel bak, and med kit.

I dunno Linda, I love the UPT issue boots. I put a Spenco insole in them on day one and they've been great. I own a set of Bellevilles, too, though I haven't worn them much. And neither are as comfy (though both are better looking) than the Oakleys (which will not be worn in the pipeline!). To each his own...or her own, as required.

Guest gtyj98
Originally posted by Rocker:

Flak vest, kevlar helmet, camel bak, and med kit.

Don't forget chem mask and a good sleeping bag...oh, wait, that's AFTER you finish UPT and are in the system.

Guest trossetti

Flyboys kneeboard for sure. I'm @ CBM right now and every student as well as every IP I have flown with uses one. Spend the extra couple bucks to have your name embroidered on it if you order one. This should be obvious...but they all look the same otherwise and everybodys got one.

I'd recommend just going into the supply room where they keep all that stuff and start asking for one of everything they have. A good scrounger takes all he can get his hands on. Sunglasses, a watch, camelbak, grease pencils, clipboard, pens, caribeeners, hush kit for your helmet, flashlight (and batteries), calculator....

• Like 1