T-6 Cockpit Trainer

Torch169

I'm assuming that there are places around Laughlin to pick up cockpit trainers, but does anyone know for sure? I tried getting onto a website recommended by a guy that just finished pilot training but the site was down. Hell, if anyone has a used one, throw it on eBay and make back some cash!

Guest lindywig

The bookstore (upstairs in Anderson Hall) has them, but I'm not sure if you could get one before your Pubs Issue. I've heard there are places online where you can order them... I'm not sure where, but I'll post the link when I find out...

You don't need it before hand...really. You get so much of that crap shoved down you're throat in the first 2 weeks, you'll practically know it like the back of your hand (as well as a stud can anyways) before you hit the flight line. Relax or do some bold face, nothing more.

I'm at Vance and I went to the Staples off base and they had the T-6 cockpit on file. They printed off an almost life-size poster of the cockpit and laminated it for like 30 bucks. Not sure what is down by Laughlin, but it may be worth a try.

Did anyone else trying calling the phone numbers listed on papertrainer.com? I tried the other day...the 1800 number is definitely not the right one, the msg says something like "xyz consulting services..." Anyways, I tried the 901 number listed next to "custom orders" and the number is still active, but no one answered...the msg said "...thanks for calling papertrainer.com...", so I figured I would leave a message...I let ya all know if I hear back. I guess I won't hold my breath though...

FWIW, the website couldn't have been shut down for too long. A good buddy of mine just ordered a Tweet cockpit poster over the summer. I wish I would've ordered this months ago...but I was unsure if I was going to fly the tweet or the texan...now it appears that I'm slated for the T-6.

Guest KoolKat

The static trainer (not really what it's called there) is available...I wouldn't waste your time.

I love you guys that are so into getting a leg up and starting early...I was so like that.

Get a -1. Start with section 2. Academically learn about a system. Then hit section 3 and the solution to the problems that can occur to that systems (at least that are in the book.)

You'll have weeks to work on your "starting flow" or whatever...

Chase poon...drink beer!

If your like me, the AF will eventually tell you to stop drinking beer, so do it while you can!!!!

For the love of pete!

BENDY

Bender,

I completely agree with you, staring at a cockpit poster at this point in time for me would not be very helpful. I'm not at all trying to get ahead or getting "a leg up" on anyone either. I'm a guard dude...I just want to bust my hump when I get there and leave it like that. However, I want to make sure I have everything I need before I get there (specifically materials that are not provided), so I'm not scrambling around to get it when I need it. I know that having a poster definitely helps with chair flying.

In addition, since I'm a Capt, I'll most likely be the SRO. I want to get whatever I can now to help out my flight mates upon arrival to Columbus. BTW, I'm also, open to any further advice on what I can do now or get now, to ensure I'm ready to help my buddies come May. I definitely don't want to show up empty handed and be a wasteofspace...

Thanks for the advice on what to start looking at now, I really appreciate it!

Guest mjk5401
Originally posted by PlanePhlyer:

I'm at Vance and I went to the Staples off base and they had the T-6 cockpit on file. They printed off an almost life-size poster of the cockpit and laminated it for like 30 bucks. Not sure what is down by Laughlin, but it may be worth a try.

HA HA ... Del Rio have a Staples. $hit, we're lucky we have Walmart.

• 3 months later...

We got our DO to approve it as part of our UPT prep while here on casual and PA is going to print it for us on their plotter for cheap...and by cheap I mean free. =)

HA HA ... Del Rio have a Staples. $hit, we're lucky we have Walmart.

• 1 year later...
Guest C-21 Pilot

I bought one and never unrolled it...

I DO NOT suggest in investing the money.

As Bender mentioned months ago, get your hands on the Dash 1, read section II and III....and if you can get a hold of the local operating procedures (pattern ops, radio calls, etc) - that's where I would suggest to start.

I bought one and never unrolled it...

I DO NOT suggest in investing the money.

As Bender mentioned months ago, get your hands on the Dash 1, read section II and III....and if you can get a hold of the local operating procedures (pattern ops, radio calls, etc) - that's where I would suggest to start.

Best advice I got prior to UPT:

Study NOTHING ahead of time except for Boldface/Ops limits. You'll be given time to study and and know everything you need to know after UPT starts, and studying ahead of time will in no way minimize the number of late nights spent studying stuff for the first month of T-6's.

Enjoy your time on casual!

• Upvote 1

We also have a T-6 cockpit poster...free to a good Vance home. It isn't laminated or anything like that, but it will get the job done.

Guest ScreamKiller

I used the T-37, T-38B, and T-38C posters from Paper Trainer. I only wish they had one for the A-10 Cockpit; it would be cool on my wall. I went by Hobby Lobby and had the posters mounted on styrofoam board. It helped me visualize stuff while I was chair flying. Some guys here say "Don't waste the money..." It worked for me and it only cost $20 back in the day. If you have major heartburn about wasting money then ask around the graduating class; I am sure someone has one sitting around. It is a small investment if it works for you and not a big loss if it doesn't.

Memorize the boldface and ops limits now. Everything else will just be a waste of space until "the man" tells you what you need to know. Enjoy your casual time; drink a lot of beer and chase skirts.

Right so, I start in 5 days...I enjoyed casual plenty, and am I understanding it correctly that they only issue a small shitty one and if I want a bigger sized one I can get it from LSI...but what's LSI?

thanks.

LSI are the sim/academic instructors in the blue suits.

Mostly retired pilots who want to talk about whatever plane they used to fly and 'how it was in their day' when you're sitting in a classroom at 2000 on Friday.

Maybe I'm overstating it, this has happened to me, but for they most part they're good dudes who really want to teach you.

the paper cockpit won't help in the beginning...as it's been said before, boldface/ops limits, then -1 (systems & EPs). When it comes time to learn your "flow", go sit in the UTDs and actually flip switches...way more effective IMO.

the paper cockpit won't help in the beginning...as it's been said before, boldface/ops limits, then -1 (systems & EPs). When it comes time to learn your "flow", go sit in the UTDs and actually flip switches...way more effective IMO.

flipping switches helps a ton int he UTD, but they are not always open and its great to have that poster on your wall to look at if you need help remmeber where a switch is while doing ground ops. Sure it may not be best thing to study right when you start, but it wont hinder you when you start doing sims week 2 or 3.

And even if you are guard still go in with the attitude that your gonna kick ass and do your best. AT the end of the day, being guard has some added pressure others dont have. Dont slack and get the "classic guard guy" stink on you....your life will suck.

It you ever get "Dizzy" for a T-6 sim at Vance, you are in good hands salut.gif

Dizzy, one of the good dudes there for sure. On the other note, I definitely agree you should go sit in the UTDs and practice your start-up flow. A buddy and I went to the UTDs every night after academics and spent an hour doing the start-up. You should be able to reserve one just about every day, so take advantage. It's nice when you hit the flightline and you're asses and elbows, but at least you don't take 30 min on ground ops...you'll only take 26.9!