Anyone been to Aviano?

Guest cadbury

3 night RON in '97. Great place: an hour's train ride to Venice toward the south and the Alps to the North. Good night life.

Prob some more up to date info to be had, otherwise I'd say that you've snagged yourself a good deal. Congrats.

Oh shit, you are in for a great assignment! You have the Dolomite mountain range right there, and the food is excellent. I've only been there TDY on a few HAWK LIGHTNING exercises, and we even stayed in tents one time (this during the build-up to ALLIED FORCE); but it was still a blast.

I would recommend leaving your American car/truck back in the States as the Italians drive like maniacs (you'll learn the concept of "nose") and insurance will probably eat you alive. Consider buying a local car (there are some cool ones), but bear in mind Italian mechanics aren't the best in Europe!

You scored, nice job!

Cheers! M2

Guest Rainman A-10

Two words...Wine Probe.

The commies run the local gov't but the skiing is good and close. Easy to get to western or eastern bloc countries for some great short trips. Easy to do day trips to Venice and Florence. Rome sucks but you should see it at least once.

If you don't have fun you must be dead.

I went there an ass-load when I was in the C-21. Great nightlife, gorgeous girls, friendly locals (for the most part), and super convenient to a lot of great cities and attractions. You will have tons of fun. I don't have any PCS info for you, but trust me, your assignment will be great. I know Pordenone is a nice little city about 20 minutes away with a lot of stuff to do and a lot of character. I stayed there most of the time. Have a blast and enjoy yourself.

Guest cadbury

Anyone travel to the east bloc much? I've heard you have to watch out for yourself a little more in some east bloc countries.

Guest lovelacm

Depends on where you are... If you dress like a "stupid American" (Dallas Cowboys jersey, blue jeans, and Nike sneakers, etc.)... you're askin' for it.

There's always someone out there lookin' to take you for a ride... even back here in the CONUS. Dress conservatively, follow the normal anti-terrorism procedures, and be smart.

Romania, Hungary, Czech, etc... all great places to visit.

Cheers!

Linda