Turn the Heat Off!

Toro

SD is Spatial Disorientation. If you can't see a good horizon, or even sometimes when you can, and the plane is moved around quickly aggressively you're inner ears can't keep up and your body can't figure out which way is up. If the student is under the bag in the back (kind of like a big curtin pulled over the canopy in the back seat) and the IP takes the aircraft and maneuvers aggressively, the stud in the back probably felt like he was spinning around. Also can happen if you have the aircraft in a bank for a long time, your body adjusts to that and can make you think you're flying straight and level. SD is very dangerous and has caused many accidents, which is why it could also be good training for the stud.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Razorback:

I didn't get that feeling so much at Sheppard. Mostly because the instructors from the respective students' countries were as tough on them as they were on Americans.

I should have clarified...I wasn't referring to ENJJPT since it's NATO training. Just standard AF SUPT where international studs tend to pop up more and more. It seems every class at Vance has at least two and about every other at Laughlin and Columbus.

HD

Guest P Mack
Originally posted by Razorback:

It's probably oxygen. Although, I would have said it, "9 over 80." 9 liters over 80 psi.

Yep, it sounded like 9 over 80 to me.

Question - How is it that the IP was burning to death, but the stud was (I assume) feeling ok? You think if it was getting incredibly hot in there the stud would turn down the heat on his own because he was roasting. Are there separate controls for the FCP/RCP?

May just be personal tolerance, one guy in my class flew with a jacket if it got below 65 out. You can close the vent off some, but since you can see making funny colors on the hud, it must have been pretty hot in the front too.

Guest T38driver

Brabus,

SP our usually oblivious to heat or cold. At CBM it gets hot in the summer, but students don't even notice. Or in the Winter, its freezing out, and they taxi likes it no big deal. Most just have enough "brain bytes" to stay safe, and nothing left over for the finer comforts of life. And no, there are not separate controls. Whoever is in the front has the switches.

Regards,

[ 15. April 2006, 12:49: Message edited by: T38driver ]

Got it t38driver...it's just hard to think how someone could be burning up front, but not really notice it because he's focused on whatever else. No matter how much I've been focused on other stuff while flying (even on checkrides), in the middle of doing a maneuver, I'd still be able to say, "Hey could you turn on the A/C, I'm dying." Anyways, thanks for clearing that up.

Guest lovelacm

LOL - I can almost put that IP's voice into any Loadmaster I've flown with...

Shoot.. I've experienced more problems with AC and heating in the back of the Herk than any others.

Many good chuckles from this thread.. thanks.

To all the IPs who've had to deal with stressed out STUDs in the USAF inventory of trainer aircraft!

Linda

Guest Aces-High

LOL yea that is a good one. It's definitely from here in columbus. I heard that it really wasn't the students fault. There was a mechanical failure in the heating system which kept the heat on. It's funny though how the Japanese students seem to be the worst as far as English.

Guest Hoser

In the T-38, they were having a lot of problems with moisture falling from the FCP A/C vent, onto the right side instrument panel, mainly the IFF.

Upon passing 10K, the FCP was supposed to fully close his A/C vent while the RCP kept his full open. The FCP would then turn the heat full hot until all the mositure had been blown (STS) out of the RCP vent.

Hoser

Guest ILikeBoobies

aside from the humor, does anyone else have a problem with the IP in the back screaming at the top of his lungs to a student who speaks English as a second language? i'd say that guy is a dumb-ass for losing his cool (haha) and going bonkers.

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by ILikeBoobies:

aside from the humor, does anyone else have a problem with the IP in the back screaming at the top of his lungs to a student who speaks English as a second language? i'd say that guy is a dumb-ass for losing his cool (haha) and going bonkers.

Well, I can see where you are left with that impression. Yes, most IPs are not screamers, some are, but I hardly would classify this gentleman's actions as "going bonkers". Upset? Yes! But even aside from the heat, it's very clear that the stud is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. And I feel for him, coming from Japan in particular, ESL must really suck in the UPT environment.

The IP's patience is worn thin from all that primarily, and the heat made it that much worse. By the end of the clip, you can tell by his tone of voice that he's shrugged it off and is ready to have the stud press with the sortie.

As an instructor, I didn't think he was at all out of line.

Hydro

Guest T38driver

Ilike...

With the Heat stuck full on, the noise alone makes it almost impossible to hear the intercom in some T-38s. On top of that, "Instruction" has ceased. It can get so hot that if you touch the canopy rails or the vent, you'll burn your hands, through the gloves. Out of line, I don't think so. Was the Student out of line...possibly, why? because his general knowledge was obviously lacking in the understanding of the pneumatic system.

Regards,

As for the students GK on the system, I just got this from a bud of mine -

The japanese student was in my class. The instructor involved was a crusty old B-52 guy who retired within about a month of this flight...his callsign was Satan...nstfs! The japanese student involved had very selective english skills...he spoke it and understood it just fine when he wanted to. After the first couple of istructions to adjust the heat, he understood what to do, but because the instructor was being such a prick about it, he chose to turn his english off and play "me no speaka". Funny ass stuff. If i recall, the stud went on to fly eagles.

Originally posted by Mun:

Hahaha that's great stuff.

"he chose to turn his english off and play "me no speaka"." < kudos to him, haha... poor IP though, must've been roastin'.

I couldn't disagree more.

If the IP is considering jettisoning his canopy, there's a serious problem. That goes WAY over the line of "just f*cking with someone."

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by Mun:

I couldn't disagree more.

If the IP is considering jettisoning his canopy, there's a serious problem. That goes WAY over the line of "just f*cking with someone."

Never said he was "bonkers". I have nothing but respect for pilots. I was simply stating that screaming at the top of his lungs probably just caused him to heat up more. But after reading T38Driver's post, sounds like there wasn't much choice. But after reading Toro's post, maybe there was. Either way, my apologies if my post came across with a "punk SNAP attitude".

can speak from experience that you will teach a stud NOTHING if you're a screamer except to hide whatever it is they are doing wrong
It sounded to me like the IP was calm at first and asked/instructed the guy to turn down the heat...but then when they guy didn't understand for the third time, he began getting really pissed...1) He's boiling his ass off 2) This guy can't understand the most simple of instructions....I'd be fvcking pissed if I was that IP too. It doesn't seem like this guy was being ineffective, he just got rightfully pissed at this guy's idiocy. But in a case where an IP yells ALL THE TIME FOR EVERYTHING, then yes, that would be very ineffective.

Guest Hydro130

Mun,

Copy... Sounds like you got it, you'll be fine bro, keep pressin...

Riddler, I've got 3000+ hours in the Herk (whoop dee doo), and have been wearing the IP hat for a while in those numbers...

NO WHERE did I intend to imply this dude was a "screamer". Please understand THAT first and foremost. I completely agree with your "screamer IP" comments, as would any of the other IPs on this board, but those types are few and far between...

In the case of this video, please consider your own step #2 as a possible frustration... I know it was a Japanese stud doing the ESL thing (not easy, I lived there for 3 years!), but that IP was not "screaming"; In fact, I think the IP was quite well-restrained... The dude was in literal pain! What do expect him to do?!?

That sortie could have very well "ended" ("I have the aircraft and we are going home you juliet alpha stump stud") half-way thru that clip, but the IP clearly let's the stud work thru it, gather his marbles, and then press with the sortie...

Hydro

EDIT: dam you brabus! always sneaking as I'm working my monologue...

brabus

[ 17. April 2006, 20:40: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]