Turn the Heat Off!

Toro

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. That reminds me of the urban legend of the Saudi (or whatever exchange stud) solo kid rolling off the perch w/o gear. The RSU telling the kid to go around since his gear was not down. The solo says, "roger, clear to land" and after further frantic attempts by the RSU to tell the kid to go around, the controller recognized that a saudi kid was working as the observer in the booth also. The controller throws the mic to the saudi observer for him to tell the kid to go around, at which point he keys the mic and says "wings 22 go around" in perfect english.

Guest T38driver

That is funny, but for those who have flown the 38 and have had the temp get stuck on a high setting, know how bad it really sucks! That video is now legend at CBM.

Phucking hilarious.

A Herk IP told me a story about when he was a FAIP and had a Japanese stud. Standard brief "If I say 'bail out' 3 times go ahead and eject" I guess on the recovery he was going too fast on initial and the IP told him "Break out"...nothing. Again, "Break out"....nothing. IP says "My aircraft" and lands. On the ground he asks the stud why he didn't break out. Stud says...."ahhhh, you said wait for 3 times blail out, blail out, blail out."

Guest ShortThrow

Haha thats hilarious. When it was talked about earlier I was hoping someone would put it up.

haha oh man my gut hurts now

"Sir, I have the aircraft" awesome.

At my class's assignment night there was an old IP telling stories about instructing in the P-40. They did the GUMPS check on downwind before landing. The guy had a student who kept forgetting to do the check and one day the IP just yelled GUMPS! thinking that might get through to him. Instead, the IP sees the student unstrap from the seat and jump out over the wing. The IP landed of course and the student was standing on the ramp waiting for him. "I thought you said 'Jump!" At least back then it wasn't too expensive of a mistake for the stud to bailout.

[ 13. April 2006, 21:24: Message edited by: Grad@ENJJPT ]

Guest js7101

I recognize that voice. I'm pretty sure the stud was in my UPT class. Whats funny is that I did a couple 86 sims with him to practice english. Guess it didn't work. Good dude though.

Guest Hydro130

Damn... that is precious!

Gotta love the life of a UPT IP...

Still laughing, Hydro

to that poor IP, whoever he is, thanks Toro!

Guest P Mack

The IP's callsign is Satan. No shit. Apparently it was so bad he was considering jettisoning the canopy.

[ 13. April 2006, 21:35: Message edited by: P Mack ]

"Turn the goddamn heat OFF!!"

Ahh, nothing like have nice warm bypass air blowing all over you with no ability to control it yourself, and a student who's English is non existent.

I use to fly CJ610 powered Lears. (J-85) You could really create a physiological emergency with the H-valve opened up all the way and the power pushed up. I'm curious; is the T-38 as bad?

Time for a come-to-Jesus meeting. Anybody know if Mr. "I did everything OK.!?" graduated?

Yeah, the T-38 is real bad, especially in the summer (not as bad as the tweet)...but what he could have done was just reduce the power and it would hav been barable enough to make it back to the pattern and land. The kid graduated and is flying in Japan.

Originally posted by LJDRVR:

I'm curious; is the T-38 as bad?

Yes.

In the 38, just after takeoff and at mil power, you have to select full hot for a few seconds to blow water out of the system. It usually just takes a couple seconds, and then you turn the temp back down...no big deal.

A couple IPs were flying CT a while back when they had the right AC bus fail while they were blowing out the system. The A/C and heat in the 38 is powered off the right AC bus, and, with such an electrical failure, the A/C system just stays in whatever setting it was in when the bus failed. This is usually ok, as 99% of the time, you have the A/C on full cold. These IPs, however, were not so lucky...they had the heat all the way up and stuck there on a hot Texas day with no way to change the setting.

You have only a couple choices: Punch a hole in the canopy or just jettison the damn thing. These IPs punched a hole in the RCP canopy and landed. Word is, the temp was so hot that their masks/hoses (sts) were getting unusually soft...as if the rubber was beginning to melt.

I'm sure that story is only 10% true (as it's been passed around more often than Bender's mom), but you get the idea. Full hot sucks in the Talon.

Guest KoolKat

Yeah, yeah, whatever jackass.

Even HerkDerka had the class to use my sister (which is better since I don't have one)...geez!

BENDY

EDIT: and I have a 0540 show in the morning, so don't talk about my mother again until the weekend!

[ 13. April 2006, 23:18: Message edited by: Bender ]

Yeah,

I thought it would be similar, that good old GE pumps out the hot air. I'll bet with the smaller area to pressurize you don't have to worry about the cabin at flight idle. In the turbojet Lears, you had to maintain a minimum of 80% RPM above FL200ish or the cabin would start to climb with the resultant inner ear discomfort. No real hassle, the tip tanks are plenty of drag, and the spoilers are real effective too.

I was flying an air ambulance mission once from Houston to Vero Beach FL in a LR25. Climbing through 8000 at 250 knots and about 6K fpm, the cabin safety valve AND outflow both opened, the masks came down, the horn came on and the emergency pressurization started blowing 350 degree, unfiltered, stinky air in the cockpit. Fortunately, the EMER PRESS is resettable, otherwise it would have been a real no-s__t IFE from a physiological standpoint. As it was, we reset the bleeds, descended, turned around, and landed. Copilot's first trip. "Does this sort of thing happen a lot?" "Yeah. Know your boldface."

Sure would love to fly a T-38 once.